Old 08-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Saratoga

Default Rest in peace, Vroom Vroom

Gallant warrior..... you'll be missed.

Rest in peace, always.

From Virtual Form Guide...

Hayes Star Drops Dead
(no author listed)

Vroom Vroom - one of the stars of the David Hayes stable - dropped dead after trackwork this morning.

A six-year-old Argentine bred son of Fitzcarraldo, Vroom Vroom was being prepared for a number of feature races for the Melbourne Spring Carnival.

A winner of seven of his 21 starts, Vroom Vroom has made a significant impact on the Australian racing scene after a disappointing campaign in Hong Kong.

He won his first three starts in Australia at Sandown, Flemington and Moonee Valley prior to running third in the St George Stakes and fourth in the Australian Cup.

His next start was the only one in which he missed a cheque when last of eight in the George Ryder Stakes in Sydney.

He then returned to Flemington and won the Auckland RC Stakes at his last Australian start.

His performance at his last lifetime start when fourth in the Group One Singapore Airlines International Cup at Kranji was full of merit when attempting to lead throughout.

Vroom Vroom was marked as a $34 chance for October's Tattersall's WS Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley.

From a pre-Singapore Derby piece..... who could not love this one?

Vroom Vroom Chases Singapore Glory

It took David Hayes a while to work out that the trouble with his imported galloper Vroom Vroom was that he was a head case rather than an invalid.

The Argentine-bred horse who is a likely favourite for Sunday's $3 million Singapore Airlines International Cup (2000m) came to Hayes while he was still training in Hong Kong where he performed so poorly he was banned from racing.

"They thought he had heart problems, among other things," said assistant trainer Gary Fennessy.

"But David had him checked out and the vets couldn't find anything wrong with him physically at all.

"His trouble is all in his head."

Convinced that he had a decent horse, Hayes brought Vroom Vroom back to his home-base at Lindsay Park when he returned to Australia last year and almost immediately the horse threw off his bad Hong Kong habits.

The only thing the Lindsay Park team could put the improvement down to was that Vroom Vroom was now working left-handed - the opposite direction to Hong Kong.

At his first few starts in Australia, Vroom Vroom verified the theory, producing form in Group races in Melbourne last autumn that had never been hinted at in Hong Kong.

To test his anti-clockwise conclusions, Hayes sent the horse to Sydney last month and, sure enough, he raced poorly.

Back to Melbourne for his latest run, the horse produced the best effort of his Australian career to win impressively over 1600m.

While in Sydney, the Hayes camp also concluded that Vroom Vroom's mental idiosyncrasies didn't only affect his galloping.

"The strange thing was that he wouldn't swim the Sydney way in the pool at Randwick," Fennessy said.

"He goes straight into the pool at Flemington, but up there he just couldn't get it."

Even stranger is that laps of the Randwick pool are swum in Vroom Vroom's preferred Melbourne direction, while the Flemington pool is right-handed.

Races at Singapore's Kranji track are run the Melbourne way and even though torrential rain falls on most days, Vroom Vroom will not be required to swim.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 08-27-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Damn..........
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Saratoga

A picture.....

http://www.theage.com.au/news/horse-...734188221.html

Heaven is a little brighter now.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Happy T

Such a handsome fella. RIP good boy