Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Saratoga

Default Farewell, Langarza

From Virtual Form Guide.....

No writer listed and God someone tell me why they posted pictures of this. So sad..... poor thing.

Rest in peace.

Langarza Dies, Oliver Injured in Werribee Fall

Champion jockey Damien Oliver has escaped serious injury after a heavy fall that claimed the life of talented four-year-old Langarza at Werribee today.

Oliver appeared to strike at least one upright post of the running rail as his horse smashed through the running rail near the 650 metre mark of the New Grandstand Premier Class 6 Handicap.

The comeback rider's condition appears to have escaped serious structural damage but has some facial injuries and a broken bone in his right hand.

Oliver has been transferred to the Epworth Hospital where further observations will be undertaken by medical officials.

A four-year-old gelding by Langfuhr, Langarza appeared to have suffered a heart attack prior to crashing through the inside running rail. Thankfully no horses were on his inside.

Langarza was contesting just his 14th career start. Prior to today he had won four races and been a minor placegetter on five other occasions.

Prepared from Caulfield by Colin Little, Langarza finished second in both the Alister Clark Stakes and The Debonair at his previous preparation.

Prairie Rose won the race giving Blake Shinn a winning double. Glenn Thornton prepared the winner, a six-year-old mare by First Norman.

The other fancied runner in the race, Approach the Bench was third over the line for Steven Arnold.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Saratoga

A related story from Fox Sports AU.....

McEvoy's demand after latest fall
By Ray Thomas and Adrian Dunn

August 25, 2006 KERRIN McEvoy last night urged Victorian jockeys to issue officialdom with an ultimatum: Replace the aluminium running rail and steel uprights with a plastic model or go on strike.

McEvoy, speaking to The Daily Telegraph from Newmarket, where he is riding for the Godolphin stable, said the latest incident involving Damien Oliver demanded immediate action.

"I have been carrying on about it ever since I went to Dubai," McEvoy said about plastic railings.

"To think we are going around at 55-60km/h and you have steel uprights to contend with when you have a fall is absolutely ludicrous.

"They carry on about increasing the country prizemoney, well how about getting things in perspective and having safety as our number one priority.

"Not only for jockeys, but horses as well.

"If it doesn't get done soon then the boys should consider striking. It is just getting out of hand.

"People are getting killed and Damien is lucky he didn't lose his head."

His views were shared by leading rider Glen Boss, who rode in Japan earlier this year where plastic running rails are in use.

"Although the aluminium running rails are a vast improvement on the old wooden version, I feel there are even safer options available, in particular the plastic or polyurethane rails," Boss said.

"These plastic rails are used in Japan, where I rode earlier this year, and in my opinion are a cheaper, safer alternative.

"They are strong enough to withstand wind gusts but are very flexible. Importantly, the plastic rails are more yielding during impact.

"During a race fall, it's important the momentum is not suddenly stopped. This is when injuries or death can occur for a jockey.

"The plastic rails will bend or break during impact and not stop a jockey's momentum as he/she falls, and lessen the potential for injury for both jockey and horse."

McEvoy said several jockeys had already lost their lives after hitting the steel uprights, and Adelaide jockey Cheree Buchiw had her right leg amputated below the knee after crashing through the rail at Cheltenham.

McEvoy said the aluminium rail/steel upright issue incensed him.

"We are the only country in the world running around with these running rails," McEvoy said.

"Something needs to be done now, not wait until it's too late again."

McEvoy said he didn't buy the argument that the cost was too prohibitive of introducing plastic running rails and uprights.

He asked what value did officials place on a human life.

Racing New South Wales chief executive Peter V'Landys, chairman of the National Jockeys Safety Review Committee, said plastic running rails were under consideration for use in Australia.

"The plastic rail has been discussed but there are also issues with it," V'Landys said.

"The harsh Australian climate, particularly in summer, does impact on the plastic rail, and even some native birds tend to pick at the rail, causing further damage."

V'Landys said a feasibility study of the plastic rail and a cost assessment to replace existing aluminium running rails had to be done first so "we can make an informed decision on this issue".