Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Saratoga

Default Hong Kong off-season updates

Highlilli ~ travel companion and workout partner to Silent Witness (he beat him once, by accident)..... retired

Strawberry Kisses ~ unexpectedly retired

Tsunami ~ retired

Happy Kid ~ stable change from Yiu to Shum

Hello Pretty ~ stable change, Lui to Cruz (!)

Greenessy ~ from Cruz to Tsui (?)

Wealthy ~ from Yip to Moore
Old 08-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Saratoga

The first Silent Witness barrier trial of the season.....

To view, click on batch 1.

http://www.hkjc.com/english/press/btrs.asp
Old 08-26-2006, 03:05 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

The HKJC is the best in the world at providing information and making the sport accessible.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
The HKJC is the best in the world at providing information and making the sport accessible.
Absolutely the greatest site..... it makes following HK racing addicting.

Too bad there's nothing like it here.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Saratoga

Win For May May retired.....
Old 08-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Saratoga

Barrier trial, batch #5.....
http://www.hkjc.com/english/press/btrs.asp

Win Fortune in a nice run. Class 4 to the dreaded Class 5 (2002 thru 2004), moved up (finally) to Class 4 and back down again. Hasn't had a win since last Spring.....

Very nice job today.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Saratoga

Good news from the South China Morning Post.....

Vengeance looks like his old self

MURRAY BELL

Vengeance Of Rain may have been back at formal trackwork a mere two mornings, but already trainer David Ferraris is confident the horse has completely recovered from the heart problems that ended his spring campaign.
Vengeance Of Rain has been off the scene since suffering what Ferraris calls "a minor electrical dysfunction" in his heart.

But after a period or rest and recuperation in New Zealand, Ferraris (pictured) believes the real Vengeance Of Rain is back.

"He's in great shape," Ferraris said, adding that top New Zealand vet Murray Brightwell had listened to Vengeance Of Rain's heart after exercise in New Zealand and described it as "perfect".

"The spell has done the horse the world of good," Ferraris said. "He now looks like a fresh horse and the ultrasounds we've done on his heart show no irregularity at all, no regurgitation in any of the valves. It's a perfectly normal, healthy heart."

Yesterday, regular rider Anthony Delpech volunteered to take Vengeance of Rain for his canter and was rewarded with an energy-sapping ride.

"He was very fresh and just wanted to go," Delpech said.

"He was nearly pulling my arms out of their sockets and almost dropped me when he was coming back, so he's feeling very well in himself."

Ferraris said that although Vengeance Of Rain had had only two canters since rejoining his stable, the Zabeel gelding was very forward in condition.

"He was trotted every morning while in quarantine in New Zealand and the same has applied in quarantine here," he said. "So he's had a bit of work and is quite fit already.

"I expect he will be ready to resume in the mile race in mid October, and then go on to the Cup Trial," the trainer added.

The Group Three Sha Tin Trophy will be run over 1,600 metres at Sha Tin on October 15 and will also be the anticipated launching pad for many top horses heading toward the International Races in December.

Vengeance Of Rain ran fifth in last year's Sha Tin Trophy under top weight of 133 pounds, finishing a short head in front of Bullish Luck. He then went on to win the International Cup Trial, as well as the Hong Kong Cup.

The Hong Kong Cup is once again the target for Vengeance of Rain. This year, the prize money has been boosted to HK$20 million, making it the richest race ever run here.

The champion stayer is ranked by senior handicapper Ciaran Kennelly as equal with Bullish Luck as the best horse in Hong Kong on a domestic rating of 130.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

I'm going to try to follow Hong Kong a lot more this year. I really like their product.

Did you like Viva Pataca this past year? He looked really good to me.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
I'm going to try to follow Hong Kong a lot more this year. I really like their product.

Did you like Viva Pataca this past year? He looked really good to me.
Yeah he did look really good..... heartbreaker!

I was warned about him before the MB Derby..... formerly known as Comic Strip and was told watch out as I was rooting for Happee Owner, Hello Pretty, Very Fit (half to Silent Witness), Brilliant One. In other words, half the field.

... And i remember how he blew past them at the end...... very nice.

The Champions and Chater Cup though..... heartbreak. I'm a big Best Gift fan and really... didn't think Viva had a chance against the likes of him or Super Kid.

Best Gift almost got it..... Viva was a bit too good.

Yes, very nice horse who ruined my evening.

Super Combed (3rd in that one) should have a good year as well. And Armada!

Don't know if you've ever heard of him - most haven't - but there's a Class 2 horse (he just made the points at the end of the season - whew!) named Bulldozer. A star of the future..... promise.

Hope you keep your eyes on him.

Still no word on Russian Pearl. Hope he comes back from his (latest) injury, poor thing.

Ten, eleven days till the start of the season? Cannot WAIT!!!