Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Tropical Park

In most of Nyquist’s 10 starts, the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner has led or raced closed to the leaders early, but trainer Doug O’Neill doesn’t believe last year’s champion juvenile male needs to be close early to be successful.

After all, when a rough start forced the issue, Nyquist did rally from eighth to win last year’s Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at Keeneland.

O’Neill anticipates a more relaxed approach early in the $1.25 million Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) at 1 1/8 miles Sept. 24 at Parx Racing. .

“I’d definitely like to see him off the pace," the trainer said.

“I think whether we drew the one or the nine in the Pennsylvania Derby, all of Team Reddam, all of Team Nyquist, we’ve all been thinking that the only way we’re going to find ourselves on the lead is if they just hand it to us. That’s the thinking going into it. Once they leave the gate, it’s up to Mario and Nyquist of course, but the angle here is to let the race unfold and go get them late.”

MAYBE ONEIL TOO ON THE RADIO ?
Old 09-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretriat34 View Post
Trainer John Servis has a plan. - Cathryn Sophia
What? Purchase Beholder privately, ship her to Parx, and try and get by the horse identifier?

Actually, that might work at Parx.

Quote:
"I can't give away my strategy," Servis coyly responded when asked what instruction he will give jockey Javier Castellano in their attempt to thwart the beautiful force that is champion filly Songbird.
I guess he can send and float Songbird 6 or 7 wide if he was so inclined. That might set it up for Carina Mia, but probably won't help Cathryn Sophia win the race.

Quote:
Part of what Servis is counting on headed into in the $1 million Cotillion Stakes (gr. I) Sept. 24 at Parx Racing is the fact Songbird has yet to hook a rival who offers what his Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I)-winning charge, Cathryn Sophia, brings to the table.
What is that exactly, a bunch of facile wins at second tier tracks and one-turn victories at what-happens-at-Gulfstream-doesn't-happen-outside-Gulfstream?

Quote:
Cash is King's Cathryn Sophia looms as a new threat who could throw a previously unseen wrinkle at the bay daughter of Medaglia d'ora.
I can't wrap my head around this statement. What does "throwing an unseen wrinkle" entail exactly? Does Servis plan to kidnap Mike Smith, make a latex mold of his face, and replace him on race day with a Smith-masked Betty White?

Quote:
In addition to owning two wins over the Parx surface, including her 6 1/2-length win in the Princess of Sylmar Stakes on Sept. 3, Maryland-bred Cathryn Sophia has flaunted her own fearsome level of tactical brilliance, earning her six career victories by a combined winning margin of 50 3/4 lengths.
Two wins at Parx, eh? That's like being proud you've been to prison twice.

Quote:
Even her two defeats have been admirable efforts, running third in both the April 9 Central Bank Ashland Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland and the June 11 Acorn Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park.
Tell that to the folks who bet her down to odds-on in those races.

Quote:
"I wonder if (Songbird) has hooked into a filly as good as mine," Servis said.
The answer is: yes, Carina Mia.

Quote:
"But she came into her last race (at Parx) really well and I couldn't have written the script any better. She didn't have to put out too much of an effort to get the win and I think it will set her up good for this race coming up."
This is the difference between Cathryn Sophia and Songbird: Songbird wins races over graded stakes winning fillies at top tier tracks the way Cathryn Sophia won a race at Parx over Disco Rose and Queena Esther. Cathryn Sophia beat many Songbird also-rans in the Kentucky Oaks, but didn't look particularly good doing it, shifting back to her left lead under a drive in deep stretch. In similar scenarios, Smith would have the reins dangling and Songbird geared down to a lope approaching the wire.

Quote:
"We freshened her up (after the Acorn) and she needed that," Servis said. "It should be very interesting this Saturday."
Yep, we should be able to see where Cathryn Sophia fits in terms of the BC Filly and Mare Sprint after the race.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Steve Byk

iiiOOOOOOOOO!!!

Old school DT.. Many pies..
Old 09-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Tropical Park

OKAY OKAY...so we have covered all that has to be typed about the Cotillion and the Derby..BUT WHAT ABOUT THESE THREE

GIVE ME SOME OF YOUR GREAT INSIGHTS ON THESE 3.....PLEASE

7th (3:12) Alphabet Soup H.
1 1/16 Miles (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Bern' James Bern Lopez P 116 L
2 Forest Rim Potts C L 117 L
3 Granny's Kitten Geroux F 121 L
4 I'll Call Carmouche K 118 L
5 Raging Market Conner T 117 L
6 Vito Tony N Billy Corujo W 111 L
7 Uncle Dave Vargas J A Jr 122 L
8 Edge of Reality Rose J 122 L
9 Pink Elephant Wolfsont A 112 L
10 Willy d'Rocket Pennington F 116 L
11 Forward Thinker Smith M E 117 L
A-Coupled: Forest Rim and Forward Thinker

8th (3:41) Gallant Bob S. (G3)
6 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $300,000

1 Mind Your Biscuits 122 L
2 Threefiveindia Castellano J J 120 L
3 Navy Hymn Bejarano R 118 L
4 Noholdingback Bear Da Silva E R 120 L
5 Counterforce Geroux F 120 L
6 Full Salute Pennington F 118 L
7 Awesome Speed Lopez P 120 L
8 Cocked and Loaded Silvera R 118 L
9 Yellow Chips Bravo J 118 L
10 Cardio Cowboy Carmouche K 118 L
11 Klingon Warrior Lopez C C 118 L
12 Who's Out Smith M E 118 L
A-Coupled: Full Salute and Yellow Chips

9th (4:14) Pa Derby Champion S.
1 1/16 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Cyrus Alexander Bejarano R 121 L
2 Encryption Juarez N 121 L
3 Bodhisattva Hole T M 119 L
4 Res Judicata Castellano J J 121 L
5 Mr. Jordan Lopez P 119 L
6 War Story Pennington F 119 Blk-On L
7 Tale of Life (JPN) Geroux F 121 L
Old 09-23-2016, 01:20 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
What? Purchase Beholder privately, ship her to Parx, and try and get by the horse identifier?

I guess he can send and float Songbird 6 or 7 wide if he was so inclined. That might set it up for Carina Mia, but probably won't help Cathryn Sophia win the race.

What is that exactly, a bunch of facile wins at second tier tracks and one-turn victories at what-happens-at-Gulfstream-doesn't-happen-outside-Gulfstream?

I can't wrap my head around this statement. What does "throwing an unseen wrinkle" entail exactly? Does Servis plan to kidnap Mike Smith, make a latex mold of his face, and replace him on race day with a Smith-masked Betty White?

Two wins at Parx, eh? That's like being proud you've been to prison twice.

Tell that to the folks who bet her down to odds-on in those races.

The answer is: yes, Carina Mia.

This is the difference between Cathryn Sophia and Songbird: Songbird wins races over graded stakes winning fillies at top tier tracks the way Cathryn Sophia won a race at Parx over Disco Rose and Queena Esther. Cathryn Sophia beat many Songbird also-rans in the Kentucky Oaks, but didn't look particularly good doing it, shifting back to her left lead under a drive in deep stretch. In similar scenarios, Smith would have the reins dangling and Songbird geared down to a lope approaching the wire.

Yep, we should be able to see where Cathryn Sophia fits in terms of the BC Filly and Mare Sprint after the race.

Great Post.....
Old 09-23-2016, 05:38 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretriat34 View Post
In most of Nyquist’s 10 starts, the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner has led or raced closed to the leaders early, but trainer Doug O’Neill doesn’t believe last year’s champion juvenile male needs to be close early to be successful.

After all, when a rough start forced the issue, Nyquist did rally from eighth to win last year’s Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at Keeneland.

O’Neill anticipates a more relaxed approach early in the $1.25 million Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) at 1 1/8 miles Sept. 24 at Parx Racing. .

“I’d definitely like to see him off the pace," the trainer said.

“I think whether we drew the one or the nine in the Pennsylvania Derby, all of Team Reddam, all of Team Nyquist, we’ve all been thinking that the only way we’re going to find ourselves on the lead is if they just hand it to us. That’s the thinking going into it. Once they leave the gate, it’s up to Mario and Nyquist of course, but the angle here is to let the race unfold and go get them late.”

MAYBE ONEIL TOO ON THE RADIO ?

They only go 9 fr at Parx for PA Derby but looking at 8.5 fr they have run 6 races in 2016. Of those 4 have been Wire jobs 0-0 and in the other 3 were 2-.5, 2.5-1.5, 1-.1. So depending on what team Nyquist means as off the pace they may be putting him up against it with this strategy.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
Great Post.....
He's on a roll...
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
Great Post.....
Yup. No west coast bias at all from him.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
4,5,7 for me. Will single Cathryn Sophia in my P3 as no real money to be made singling Songbird.
Agree. I'll use Mott also.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post

VERY FUNNY !!

Last edited by Kasept : 09-23-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Tropical Park

RACE 7 Picks

2 Forest Rim Potts C L 117 L - 2nd fastest, 6 ITM at distance

7 Uncle Dave Vargas J A Jr 122 L - 3 wins on the track, fastest may bounce off last

4 I'll Call Carmouche K 118 L - fast
5 Raging Market Conner T 117 L - good ITM at the distance
9 Pink Elephant Wolfsont A 112 L - good ITM at the distance
10 Willy d'Rocket Pennington F 116 L - good ITM at the distance

Last edited by Secretriat34 : 09-23-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Tropical Park

race 9

2) biscuits - won Gr2 amsterdam
4) navy hymn -3 for 3 at distance
5) bear -fastest 3-3-0-0 at dist

not sure what to make of the
10) klingon -2 wins at parx low price races, but he fires bullets in works..maybe 7) awesome speed, in preakness(8th) 2nd by nose in Tesio
Old 09-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Ellis Park

Under the category of strange but true:
If Cupid takes down the PA Derby he will have more Graded Stakes wins than any other 3yo C/G this year.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTAMM1225
Cupid should be 30-1 in that race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
I wouldn't take him at 30-1 either.
Why no love for Cupid? (couldn't resist)

But, seriously, I would be all over Cupid at 30-1. Would be happy to get 12-1.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Yup. No west coast bias at all from him.
Garbage comment. Where's the "west coast bias"? What? Because I said Songbird is the best horse in the Cotillion? She has more Grade 1 wins in New York than she does in California this year.

Or is it because I mocked John Servis, who skipped all the major filly races this summer despite the horse training forwardly at Saratoga. He could have tried Songbird there, or at least opt for the Test, but instead sat on her. He admits he's been waiting to catch Songbird while that one comes across country for the umpteenth time and after a tough campaign in NY. How sporting when you have presumably a horse every bit as good as Songbird.

Just to cover his bases, in the event that Cathryn Sophia loses, he's also stated that the Cotillion could be "her last race". Yawn.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post

I think Cupid will run a big race today,he seems capable enough.
He has alot going for him:
He's tearing it up in the morning.......always a good sign for a Baffert runner.
Baffert doesn't ship them cross country unless they're razor sharp.
And it's not like Baffert doesn't have a history of doing well with fast/classy/well bred 3yo's when they get good......
Cupid's the morning line third choice @ 5-1......that's probably what he'll close at.
I think I'll play him....
Old 09-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Havre de Grace

Off that bias aided dressed up win at mountaineer.....good luck with that. Maybe review the fast track form of Nyquist and Gun Runner before you dive too deep
Old 09-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Off that bias aided dressed up win at mountaineer.....good luck with that. Maybe review the fast track form of Nyquist and Gun Runner before you dive too deep
I'll carry Nyquist in the P-4(along with Cupid/Sunny Ridge),but I can't do anything with him in the Win/DD/P-3 due to his short price.
Gun Runner might be the wise guy mover.......value might not be there,I don't like him anyway.
And speaking of track biases,Gun Runner benefitted immensely from strong inside/front end biases @ the FG in the Risen Star/La. Derby.
Cupid will be a square price in all the pools......he's good enough for me.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post

super show play at 30-1
Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM
The Curragh

Whoa baby.