Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Golden Gate

Default Instagrand ~~ Sidelined.. (Make that 'retained')

Hollendorfer has a good one in Instagrand..Or should I say Instamillion. WOW visually impressive 22 and 44.4 hand ridden to mid stretch pulling away coming home 56 flat. Keep an eye on him...
Old 06-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Steve Byk

Video clip: https://twitter.com/watchxbtv/status...540324352?s=12
Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 AM
Ellis Park

Nice opener indeed.
Less then two ticks off the track record.
Cost a cool 1.2 million...…….looked the part.
This one should take some of the sting away from the barn having Instilled Regard moved out...…..Hollendorfer did a real nice job with that Colt,probably should of been able to continue with him.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Steve Byk

Brad Free: Instagrand to miss Breeders' Cup

Instagrand, the California-based 2-year-old colt that won both starts by 10 or more lengths including the Grade 2 Best Pal Stakes, will miss the remainder of the season incluing the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer said owner Larry Best decided to “freshen the horse up.” Instagrand, purchased in March for $1.2 million, will ship to Kentucky for a break. Details to follow at drf.com.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Santa Anita

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ut-of-training

Best basically has decided he knows better than Hollendorfer and from what I can tell is pulling a Cowboys/Jerry Jones here. Ugh.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ut-of-training

Best basically has decided he knows better than Hollendorfer and from what I can tell is pulling a Cowboys/Jerry Jones here. Ugh.
Sounds like he's striking out against the status quo and conventional wisdom, which--if you read this message board during the Triple Crown--is often cited as the cause of most of the ills of horse racing. So in that respect Larry Best doesn't look like the typical deluded owner who wants to pull the strings.

Had he been "saving" Instagrand for the Triple Crown it would have been a different story. Not convinced that horse is destined to be a route horse. But the point is moot, because Best doesn't seem too impressed with the classics, either.

Seems like he's focused on getting the horse to a 4yo campaign which--again if you read these message boards--ought to be a breath of fresh air.

Perhaps the latter career exploits of Gun Runner and Accelerate are starting to raise a few eyebrows among the top owner crowd.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Perhaps the latter career exploits of Gun Runner and Accelerate are starting to raise a few eyebrows among the top owner crowd.
Running at 2 and then through the classic trail at 3 didn't seem to hurt Gun Runner.. You know better than almost anyone that stressing young horses through training and racing is the best assurance of getting them to a sound, competitive maturity. But above all else, they're individuals and need to be treated as such. If that's the thinking Larry Best is applying, great. If he's trying to reinvent how horses are developed, he's likely going to be disappointed.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Belmont Park

I think Larry Best is trying to Make Racing Great Again.

On a serious note if the colt needs time the colt needs time. Nothing new here, we have all witnessed colts rushed because that was the trainers and owners intention and we have seen colts backed off on to mature, heal, etc.

I don't know the nature of Mckinzie's "issues," but I do wonder IF Justify wasn't in the barn IF Baffert would have taken a more aggressive approach with his issues?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Running at 2 and then through the classic trail at 3 didn't seem to hurt Gun Runner.. You know better than almost anyone that stressing young horses through training and racing is the best assurance of getting them to a sound, competitive maturity. But above all else, they're individuals and need to be treated as such. If that's the thinking Larry Best is applying, great. If he's trying to reinvent how horses are developed, he's likely going to be disappointed.

Given that Best is resting Instagrand but running Rowayton, it seems like he may be taking an individualized approach. He evens cites Instagrand’s running style as to why he wants to rest him. So I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt as far as his intentions.

That being said, he could be dead wrong that this is the best way to handle Instagrand. I guess we’ll find out.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Sounds like he's striking out against the status quo and conventional wisdom, which--if you read this message board during the Triple Crown--is often cited as the cause of most of the ills of horse racing. So in that respect Larry Best doesn't look like the typical deluded owner who wants to pull the strings.

Had he been "saving" Instagrand for the Triple Crown it would have been a different story. Not convinced that horse is destined to be a route horse. But the point is moot, because Best doesn't seem too impressed with the classics, either.

Seems like he's focused on getting the horse to a 4yo campaign which--again if you read these message boards--ought to be a breath of fresh air.

As Steve said, reasonably stressing a horse at 2 helps put them in a place physically to be sound for that goal of running at 4. It's scientifically proven. Best's bit about the TC is screwy-- https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan/status...10972471001088 I think an owner who has no desire to complete the TC just because they win the Derby shouldn't be entering their horse in the race. There's a social contract with the fans, the media, the tracks down the line. It's one thing if they're not physically right, another if you intentionally scuttle a TC bid. There's also a certain question about entering Derby points races if you're unwilling to run in the Derby and/TC. I mean you're screwing with someone else's chance of making the field potentially.

If he wants to be conservative with his campaigning, fine. Keep'em to one turn, keep em a certain distance, wait to stretch em out. Nobody'd bat an eye. Other owners and trainers are known for being conservative about that stuff. This smacks of him trying to do something nutty. Hollendorfer must have the patience of a saint to deal with the crap thrown at him by Best and Porter.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM
The Curragh

So he's operating his horse like he did his previous businesses ... hmmm

Quote:
"For a lot of horsemen, they think it's not a matter of if, it's when (a horse has an injury or setback). It could happen in training, so you run," said Best, who is known for his work with Boston Scientific and OXO Capital. "I just have a formula that works for me with all of my businesses. I built my businesses on gut instinct, and the horses I buy, I look forward to racing them at 3 and 4.

"People have come to me for breeding rights, and I've said no. It's not about the money. I want to give them a 3-year-old and 4-year-old career. I'm not driven by money. I want to compete. I did the same with companies. I ignored Wall Street, that only thinks about next quarter. At Boston Scientific, I thought five and 10 years out and not five months out like Wall Street wants.

"Long term, you’re going to win if you treat people right, and in this case, horses right. If you’re going for short-term gain, you better have a freak or you better be lucky. I believe—following this strategy over, say, 10 years—I'll be more successful than the average guy. I think you have to have a philosophy and be disciplined. That's what I'm going to do. Will it work out? We'll find out."
-bt-
Old 09-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Detroit Race Course

Two starts and he needs to be freshened?
Bodes well for his future.