Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2020, 01:14 PM
The Curragh

Talking Call to Post ROI 2009-2020

Since 2020 is thankfully at an end I just wanted to update the ROI because frankly I have too much time on my hands. Here is what I can tell you about everything you never wanted to know. Over the years we have had 48 players try their hand at the ROI. The total contests in this period covers 647 contests. A few players only showed up one week. One has showed up 647 weeks. Did I mention this player has too much time on his hands? By sheer volume Real Quiet has 67 wins. Ruffian has 61 with Joly adding 47, Plenilune 45 and NJ Stinks 42. However the real test of the wins is percentage. Ruffian has won 11.23% of the weeks played. Real Quiet is next at 10.36% followed by Criminal Type at 10.32% and NJ Stinks at 9.79%. There still is only one player who still has a positive ROI and he has played 219 weeks and that's Digger924. I know Digger still plays and wanted to get back in 2020 but just can't seem to get back into our group. Anyway Digger has an ROI of over 4% and that's not too shabby over the course of approximately 6 years. The two and three spots are held by two former fillies participants Husker Princess and Dance Smartly. I miss them both and hopefully they are still chasing that elusive winner. Of the current players the group is led by Real Quiet (-9.48), Ruffian (-10.58), Cruzan (-15.32), Cal (-16.81) and NJS (-16.98). Digger easily leads the In The Money leaders hitting the top 4 35% of the time. Joly B is second, Plenilune is third and Cal is currently fourth. The Jacques Who award winner continues to be Joly B who has amasses 70 second place finishes. JB can always be spotted when the photo finish camera clicks. As a group we have lost a total of -$188,813.95 over the years. Luckily Don Guido has been nice enough to cover our debts and allows us to start every year with renewed hope. Players come and go but they never leave my spreadsheet. No news is good news and I hope El Prado is OK. Ron Yonker and Emmylou Albright were stalwarts of this contest as was Arletta/Into the Mystic. Criminal Type is greatly missed and will never be forgotten. I really would like to see at least one former player make a guest appearance one time. Sort of like a "Masked Handicapper". I also want to add that this handicapping forum was around long before I joined in. See you all in 2021.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Oriental Park

Real Quiet, that was a real tour de force. As someone who has been accused of having too much time on his hands, I recognize all of the symptoms.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if some of our former players were to return and join in the game just as they used to.

The most telling statistic in your numbers is the -$188K loss over the years. I don't think that is a knock on everyone's handicapping skills - rather it only underscores just how difficult it is to grind out a long term profit with the takeouts as large as they are. My hat is off to anyone who is able to accomplish this, no matter what their approach.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:21 PM
Hawthorne

Sincerely, Real Quiet, you are a terrific writer. And handicapper.

I maintain it's always fun to wakeup on a Saturday morning and know that you've got a $100 in your pocket to burn. (Even if the TVG account is bare! )

I just want to add that I too would love to see past players come back for an encore. In a year where we are supposed to stay in/stay home, I'm not making a lot of new friends. In fact, the old ones here never looked better!
Old 12-31-2020, 04:50 PM
Oriental Park

You are now a finalist for the "Derby Trail/Call to Post" Heizsman Trophy (made in Germany). The winner will be announced on January 5, 2021 on this channel. Thank you for all you do here RQ and will continue to do. AWESOME!!!