Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Flavien Prat picks up Battle of Midway mount
guess the new connections wanted a "top" name

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ar-don-alberto

Quote:
Battle of Midway, runner-up in the Santa Anita Derby (G1) and 17th on the Kentucky Derby leaderboard, has been purchased in partnership by WinStar Farm and Don Alberto Stable from Rick Porter's Fox Hill Farm.

The Smart Strike colt will remain in training with Jerry Hollendorfer as he prepares for a start in the May 6 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1). Flavien Prat has the Derby mount.

-bt-
Old 04-22-2017, 05:10 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holybull1 View Post
Here are foaling dates for most of the runners in the field:

5/6/17 - Kentucky Derby

14. Fast and Accurate (Mike Maker/Tyler Gafflione) ?
19. Untrapped (Steve Asmussen/Ricardo Santana Jr.) ?
20. Lookin at Lee (Steve Asmussen/Ricardo Santana Jr.) ?
------------------------------------------------------
24. Master Plan (Todd Pletcher) ?
25. Blueridge Traveler (Ken McPeek) ?
27. Lancaster Bomber (Aiden O'Brien) ?
Here ya go...

14. Fast and Accurate (March 27)
19. Untrapped (April 19)
20. Lookin at Lee (March 7)
24. Master Plan (Feb 14)
25. Blueridge Traveler (Feb 21)
27. Lancaster Bomber (March 14)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Steve Byk

Reach the World euthanized after workout sesamoid fracture. Brutal.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Damn...poor boy, rest in peace youngster
Old 04-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Reach the World breaks down in work, euthanized at 3
By Steve Andersen

http://www.drf.com/news/reach-world-...k-euthanized-3

ARCADIA, Calif. – Reach the World, fourth in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby on April 8, was euthanized on Saturday after suffering severe injuries to his right foreleg in a workout at Santa Anita.

Reach the World was nearing the end of a team exercise when he was stricken. Jockey Martin Garcia was able to pull up Reach the World, who was vanned off. Garcia was not injured.

Trained by Bob Baffert for Don Alberto Stable, Reach the World was considered a candidate for the Belmont Stakes on June 10.

Reach the World had his stakes debut in the Santa Anita Derby. By Tapit, Reach the World was bred by Don Alberto Stable and had one win in four starts, a maiden race at 1 1/16 miles on Feb. 4 in his second start.

Reach the World was second to Battle of Midway in an optional claimer on March 9 before finishing 1 1/2 lengths behind Gormley in the $1 million Santa Anita Derby.

Last edited by Kasept : 04-22-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Del Mar

Robby out of the Derby with broken ankle. New jock for J Boys Echo (Romans)

Last edited by Bogey : 04-23-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:24 PM
Ellis Park

In the DRF:
Shirreffs said that Royal Mo wouldn't be on the plane to Kentucky (with Gormley) because he needed four to exit to get in........he didn't think that would happen.
Of course two took a hike soon after,so I wonder if there's a plan B.

Last edited by taxicab : 04-24-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Belmont Park

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman

Florent Geroux to ride Hence in Kentucky Derby, per trainer Steve Asmussen http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36317
Old 04-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Hialeah Park

Andy Serling‏ @andyserling
"Betting a horse in the Derby because you liked the gallop out of his work might be worse than betting the horse with the best bath photo."

I laughed....
Old 04-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Fairgrounds

Question on the status of 3 horses-
Fast and Accurate isn't nominated, right? Any word on when connections will make the decision to pay up or not to run? I heard maybe Maker was waiting to see how the horse worked over the track?

Is Thunder Snow in the US yet and is the plan still to run? I heard there were some questions regarding this.

When will a decision be made on Malagacy? But anyw word what is holding up a final determination?

Thanks as always for all the info Steve.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 04-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
Question on the status of 3 horses-
Fast and Accurate isn't nominated, right? Any word on when connections will make the decision to pay up or not to run? I heard maybe Maker was waiting to see how the horse worked over the track?

Is Thunder Snow in the US yet and is the plan still to run? I heard there were some questions regarding this.

When will a decision be made on Malagacy? But anyw word what is holding up a final determination?

Thanks as always for all the info Steve.
Fast and Accurate will pay 💰 to play. Still at the Spectrum with Maker's horses and seemingly doing well. Will come over when he has to, but don't think he's going to work at Churchill.

Thunder Snow expected Sunday.

Malagacy arrived at CD today and Pletcher wants to see him travel over the surface before deciding on withdrawl.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Hialeah Park

https://instagram.com/p/BTSgIdlju5h/

First I've seen of this. Pretty damn awesome.

Sorry for the thread jack ( please move to correct thread, mods ). Move along. Nothing to see here.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Steve Byk

Dale Romans considering Luis Saez, Gary Stevens, Corey Nakatani, Kent Desormeaux for J Boys Echo..
Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Dale Romans considering Luis Saez, Gary Stevens, Corey Nakatani, Kent Desormeaux for J Boys Echo..
Any word on Battalion Runner??

Not that I give him a snowball's chance in h-e-double hockey sticks, but I can see Bejarano getting the leg up for some reason.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Saez frontrunner as of now. Desormeaux a possibility with Romans frequently leaning to him in this spot over the last few years and having ridden J Boys (admittedly badly). Miguel Mena an outside shot too. Alsbaugh a decision after sleeping on it tonight..
Old 04-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
No. But he looked terrific galloping today.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post

Not that I give him a snowball's chance in h-e-double hockey sticks, but I can see Bejarano getting the leg up for some reason.
Big big shot.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Big big shot.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, as when you aren't touting every Baffert runner your opinion is solid, but how could you endorse this horse? He has never run a particularly good race. He was very much with a strong bias in the Wood. What about him suggests he has a "big shot" in the Derby?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, as when you aren't touting every Baffert runner your opinion is solid, but how could you endorse this horse? He has never run a particularly good race. He was very much with a strong bias in the Wood. What about him suggests he has a "big shot" in the Derby?
Earlier in this thread I said Battalion Runner should run in the Pat Day Mile. That spot makes more sense and he would be a bear turning back. I give him a shot in the Derby by default. I want no one from California, Fair Grounds, Keeneland and Oaklawn. That leaves me with Sunland, Dubai, The Wood and the Fl Derby. Irish War Cry and Always Dreaming seem legit to me vs these other horses. But they are 2 of the 3 likely chalks. Battalion Runner is right there on beyer, lightly raced and working well. I think he has a chance vs a subpar group.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Churchill Downs

This is Todd's year.[IMG][/IMG]