Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Arlington Park

Old 06-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
What a **** US Open. Pure luck, plain and simple. It's been reduced to "hit and hope." I love having them have to fight for par (Merion in '13) was fantastic, but this course, under these conditions, is abysmal and not terribly exciting to watch.
Fox is awful. Why the f*ck was Charles Davis doing interviews? I mean, really? Joe Olglevie can't even look into the camera when talking (must be cuz he's a Duke alum) I think having those LPGA girls on is great, but come on...they have zero clue about how the men's game is played. The PGA and LPGA tours are not even a little bit closely related. Two different levels of golf being played. Anyway, at least there is Joe Buck, Greg Norman and that giant f*cking shark logo on every commentators shirt sleeve.
Mike Torico and Curtis Strange should just do all golf coverage, on every station, forever. Or at least until I die.

Nothing like putting on a pave highway.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnSkinny View Post
This whole mess has gotten me thinking about what Lee Trevino said about the USGA (which is the governing body of our Open). He said when he retired he wanted a job there, where "Dandruff on a blue blazer and gravy on a necktie" was the norm.
While I applaud the USGA for looking for venues normally accessible for public golfers (like Bethpage), this Open looks to the casual golfer/fan as if it's being played in some 'stan country. The imagery is pretty poor and a poor representation of what golf can and should look like here. But that's just my opinion.
As for the golf, and I have watched enough Opens to understand the nature of the suffering, it makes me think our foreign guests must be thinking "Is this the best they can do?". I know there's a drought out west but plating off of lint and putting over poa annua should not be the showcase for our Open.

And FOX is not ready for prime time golf coverage. Please.
I slept. Just saw the finish on golf channel. gee, only 10 more years on Fox They make sports worse imho, not better. They throw together inexperienced people and think it will work by using flash. A big thumb down

Then there is this. http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/look...n-ratings.html

Blaise Pascal

Last edited by Benny : 06-22-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Arlington Park

ESPN First Take B team is mentioning Tiger Woods more than Jordan Spieth.

Speculating that he won't accomplish half of what Tiger has done while at the same time completely overlooking the things Tiger didn't do at this young man's age.

I can't stand this show. They are just a bunch of pandering morons trying to prop up the past. Tiger is finished.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post

Speculating that he won't accomplish half of what Tiger has done while at the same time completely overlooking the things Tiger didn't do at this young man's age.

I can't stand this show. They are just a bunch of pandering morons trying to prop up the past. Tiger is finished.

I wonder how good he can get again if he ate his pride and went back to his early coach ? Harmon ?

Blaise Pascal
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Havre de Grace

I thought the coverage was pretty bad, but tried to recognize any positives. Fox has always been progressive when it comes to graphics. I thought the ball tracker off the tee box was cool, but the production was bad, in that they never switched angles fast enough to get the end of the shot. The exact distances from the ball to the hole whether in the fairway or on the green were pretty nifty as well.

This US Open was going to look awful on any network, and I was glad to not have to deal with Johnny Miller (just a matter of preference) but Greg Norman was abysmal. He is a ridiculous, self-absorbed shill and the rest of the team was pretty dreadful too. Buck was surprisingly tolerable to me, mainly because he didn't talk that much.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Havre de Grace

Players takes on this years US Open. The greens.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/6/...eens-criticism

Blaise Pascal
Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

I understand that Tiger became bigger than life and advanced the popularity of golf by light-years but he's obviously in deep trouble now and the constant pandering to his past is getting tiresome. I remain a fan and hope against hope that he will find himself but it's time to celebrate the accomplishments of Spieth...a remarkable golfer and a well grounded young man, hope he wins the Open.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
I wonder how good he can get again if he ate his pride and went back to his early coach ? Harmon ?

Answering my own question :

http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/...-tigers-swing/

Blaise Pascal
Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Belmont Park

Ian Poulter slams USGA:

>>>"It is disgraceful that the @USGA hasn't apologized about the greens,'' he wrote. "They simply have said 'we are thrilled the course condition this week.' It wasn't a bad golf course, In fact it played well and was playable.

"What wasn't playable were the green surfaces. If this was a regular PGA tour event lots of players would have withdrawn and gone home on Wednesday, but players won't do that for a major. They were simply the worst most disgraceful surface I have ever seen on any tour in all the years I have played. The US Open deserves better than that.''<<<

http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen15/sto...ns-disgraceful

Pic of the greens:
https://instagram.com/p/4Nmq2zpg2V/
Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Havre de Grace

Hot air: Fox gets beginner's luck, bumbles thrilling U.S. Open finish, Jordan Spieth victory

...." And then on 16 hole when Spieth made the long birdie putt that would put him three up on the field, there was nothing but silence from lead broadcasters Joe Buck and Greg Norman.

Replay. Replay. Silence.

When Buck finally prodded Norman, he spit out the worst three words a lead analyst can say in any circumstance. “I’m actually speechless,” Norman actually said before trying to catch-up.

And by the way, we are still waiting for someone – anyone – to analyze the final Spieth and Johnson putts on 18.

Unfortunately, Fox played catch-up all day."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/gol...th-victory.ece

Blaise Pascal
Old 06-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Arlington Park

So much whining while the dude who won it kept his mouth shut and played golf.

No disrespect to Poulter but it's not surprising he's worried about appearances instead of just manning the f.uck up and playing what you've been given.

That's the difference between him and the champion. He was letting his emotions get the best of him while Jordan was picturing the trophy.

And lets not be naive and act like golf is the first sport to hold a championship in a suspect venue. Come on now.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Havre de Grace

the thing that seemed to annoy me the most was the inches on the putts. he's got 18'3" here Jack. WTF 18 feet is close enough. To see the way some of those golf balls reacted, the course was pretty unfair. What a contrast between beautiful Puget Sound and the dreariness of the course. It's like the Kurt Cobain of courses, when it coulda been the Eddie Vedder instead
Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
So much whining while the dude who won it kept his mouth shut and played golf.

No disrespect to Poulter but it's not surprising he's worried about appearances instead of just manning the f.uck up and playing what you've been given.

That's the difference between him and the champion. He was letting his emotions get the best of him while Jordan was picturing the trophy.

And lets not be naive and act like golf is the first sport to hold a championship in a suspect venue. Come on now.
not true

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/6/...-bay-18th-hole

" You know Jordan Spieth has made it into the pantheon of PGA Tour superstars when his whining about course setup forces the powers-that-be to cave into his demands.

In this case, Spieth complaining on Friday to an open Fox Sports mic for the world to hear that No. 18 as a par-4 at Chambers Bay was "the dumbest hole I’ve ever played" definitely had an impact on USGA executive director Mike Davis’ decision to play the 72nd hole of the U.S. Open as a par-5.

Blaise Pascal