Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2020, 04:37 PM
Steve Byk

Arrow BREEDER'S CUP ~ FIELDS: Sprint, F&M Sprint, T-Sprint, D-Mile

Last edited by Kasept : 11-02-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Oriental Park

Hope there is a rethink and they put Ollie's Candy in the FM Sprint at least as a 2nd preference
Old 10-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

It may seem a little backwards but I actually think Gamine would have a better chance in the Distaff than in the FM Sprint. She reminds me of Lion Heart.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Oriental Park

If Gamine was able to run as a 2yo, her career would likely have echoed Chilukki and Indian Blessing. Superior sprinters that were capable at a middle distance (less than 9f).

Lion Heart actually had the same profile. He could not see out a distance at 3 save on the conveyor belt at Monmouth against My Snookie Boy. He ran 1:09+ in his debut and 1:20+ for 7 furlongs in his first 2 starts, but never got a chance to sprint again because he was toast by the fall.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:25 PM
The Curragh

Gamine is mediocre at two turns.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 AM
Steve Byk

Michael McCarthy with interesting preliminary decisions on ATR Tuesday for CE CE & SPEECH..

Ce Ce stretches out for the Distaff and Speech cuts back to the F&M Sprint..
Old 10-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Gamine is mediocre at two turns.
That's a ridiculous comment. She is better going shorter, but still better than almost every horse of her sex going long....and most males too.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
That's a ridiculous comment. She is better going shorter, but still better than almost every horse of her sex going long....and most males too.
If we are talking about stakes horses, I don't like her chances to win a graded stakes race against males or females going around two turns. I think she would need a completely uncontested pace to do so.

She is absolutely brilliant around one turn though. I'd love to see her and Seregenti Empress and some of the other sprinters face off at 7 furlongs.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:58 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Michael McCarthy with interesting preliminary decisions on ATR Tuesday for CE CE & SPEECH..

Ce Ce stretches out for the Distaff and Speech cuts back to the F&M Sprint..
I hope they rethink this
Old 10-21-2020, 01:44 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
If we are talking about stakes horses, I don't like her chances to win a graded stakes race against males or females going around two turns. I think she would need a completely uncontested pace to do so.

She is absolutely brilliant around one turn though. I'd love to see her and Seregenti Empress and some of the other sprinters face off at 7 furlongs.
You must not notice the sheer number of graded stakes races there are and see some of the horses winning these races. if you think she's not better than Swiss Skydiver or Shedaresthedevil or the top males, that's one thing. But not only could she win a graded stakes going two turns, she'd win maybe the majority of them. That field she beat in the Acorn wouldn't have magically turned the tables on her with another turn.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-21-2020, 02:08 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
You must not notice the sheer number of graded stakes races there are and see some of the horses winning these races. if you think she's not better than Swiss Skydiver or Shedaresthedevil or the top males, that's one thing. But not only could she win a graded stakes going two turns, she'd win maybe the majority of them. That field she beat in the Acorn wouldn't have magically turned the tables on her with another turn.
I have my doubts about whether she will ever even run in another two-turn graded stakes race. There must be a reason that Baffert ran her in the Acorn and the Test.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:21 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I hope they rethink this
Yep; is there some stalwart in the FM Sprint or is the Distaff a free-for-all now that Midnight Bisou is out?

Why would Ce Ce and Ollie's Candy not at least consider the FM Sprint as an alternative (should be the primary objective).

Maybe the BC can solve this dilemma by creating a FM Dirt Mile?
Old 10-21-2020, 02:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Yep; is there some stalwart in the FM Sprint or is the Distaff a free-for-all now that Midnight Bisou is out?

Why would Ce Ce and Ollie's Candy not at least consider the FM Sprint as an alternative (should be the primary objective).

Maybe the BC can solve this dilemma by creating a FM Dirt Mile?
Just feels like with all of the speed in the F&M Sprint it will help CeCe. Plus I think she’s better around 1 turn. She has a shot in the Sprint. No shot in the Distaff IMO.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Just feels like with all of the speed in the F&M Sprint it will help CeCe. Plus I think she’s better around 1 turn. She has a shot in the Sprint. No shot in the Distaff IMO.
Agreed. I thought the same in the middle of the year despite the Apple Blossom win. Not sure if she has had excuses in her one turn starts this year, but in general, horses that make a middle or late move are up against it in 5-horse fields in California.

Conditions would more than likely be to order in a 7-furlong full field at Keeneland.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:53 AM
Steve Byk

NASHVILLE by-passes Sprint for the Perryville on undercard; BON RAISON gets in as a result..

FRANK'S ROCKETTE fully confirmed for Sprint..
Old 11-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
NASHVILLE by-passes Sprint for the Perryville on undercard; BON RAISON gets in as a result..

FRANK'S ROCKETTE fully confirmed for Sprint..
Nothing says the 2020 dirt sprint division like Bon Raison getting into the field.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:46 AM
Steve Byk

Exclamation SPRINT: Vekoma spikes fever, out..

Brutal.. Was a bet against for me and hate to hear for all reasons.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Steve Byk

Exclamation F&M SPRINT: Inthemidstofbiz out with fever

Marty McGee|@DRFMcGee: The @BreedersCup Filly and Mare Sprint (R4 Saturday) now down to 8 starters with the scratch of No. 4 Inthemidstofbiz, the G2 TCA winner who was 30-1 on the morning line. Slight fever. Speedy filly could've added to what already figures to be a swift early pace.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Steve Byk

Not insignificant. Gives Velazquez a bit more room to operate early on with Gamine..
Old 11-06-2020, 08:55 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Not insignificant. Gives Velazquez a bit more room to operate early on with Gamine..
Curious why you think this helps Gamine. Do you see her outrunning Serengeti Empress early?