Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Haskin tweeted: "California chrome grabbed a quarter. Took good chunk out of his foot. Likely out of the gate." That blasted gate. Can't blame him as much then if that hurt his chances, but it's not like Tonalist didn't have own excuses for not being in the first two races. Maybe Chrome would've had to tangle with him and we wouldn't be talking about CC as a dual winner.
Hope its not too serious. War admiral almost was retired after his Belmont, he'd removed such a large piece at the break.

So very glad the tc circus is over.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
Hope its not too serious. War admiral almost was retired after his Belmont, he'd removed such a large piece at the break.
I could see some people taking the easy money and selling to stud right now, but these guys might be so mad they'll give him time off and come back. This horse's TC record and breeding make me wonder about his stud future because there are ways this has shaken out in the past that scream regional sire or Japan. The article they wrote in Bloodhorse about it got all kinds of nasty snark from people who blamed all kinds of things like East Coast bias and it was just ridiculous. It's a fact, he's not a blue blood. Nice looking horse though. Hope wherever he ends up he gets a shot. Grandsons of Pulpit won all 3 legs of the TC. Pretty impressive. Tonalist has more of a stallion's pedigree though, but blue collar horses have gone on to make their get into blue bloods so I'll root for Chrome like I rooted for Tiznow. That worked out just fine.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I could see some people taking the easy money and selling to stud right now, but these guys might be so mad they'll give him time off and come back. This horse's TC record and breeding make me wonder about his stud future because there are ways this has shaken out in the past that scream regional sire or Japan. The article they wrote in Bloodhorse about it got all kinds of nasty snark from people who blamed all kinds of things like East Coast bias and it was just ridiculous. It's a fact, he's not a blue blood. Nice looking horse though. Hope wherever he ends up he gets a shot. Grandsons of Pulpit won all 3 legs of the TC. Pretty impressive. Tonalist has more of a stallion's pedigree though, but blue collar horses have gone on to make their get into blue bloods so I'll root for Chrome like I rooted for Tiznow. That worked out just fine.
Luckily for race fans, breeding is depressed right now. And with CCS lack of pedigree on top of most people going to the tried and true horses, there won't be much in the way of offers in my opinion.
Give him a break, and we'll see him again hopefully sooner rather than later.
The horse didn't seem to be flagging, instead he seemed to thrive from racing, so I hope he won't be gone long. Lots of good races in his future I think.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
I completely agree. I am sure now we are going to get people blaming Espinoza, especially after Randy Moss' comments.

As far as I am concerned, Victor Espinoza gave that horse every chance to win and unfortunately he just was not good enough today.
Agree with both of your post race comments.

Personally while watching the race, I didn't think California Chrome's stride looked all that comfortable on the backstretch compared to his last two races.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
That was embarrassing! I was shocked watching that tirade! What happened to sportsmanship and congratulating the winner? Geez.

Congrats to whoever had Tonalist on top. I didn't.

Happy for Joel anyway.

Thanks for the fun times, California Chrome.
While I agree he shouldn't have said what he did, but I kind of find it refreshing that someone wasn't pc for change.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Agree with both of your post race comments.

Personally while watching the race, I didn't think California Chrome's stride looked all that comfortable on the backstretch compared to his last two races.
Might've been because of the grabbed quarter though. Not sure because War Admiral had it pretty rough too. Not all race-sustained physical problems are created equal and they don't all keep a horse from winning. Maybe all it would've meant is Tonalist catching him in the end or he finished on the board instead of deadheating for 4th. Coburn didn't know about the foot situation when he shot his mouth off. Maybe if he had he'd have rethought the comments and blamed the more likely culprit for his horse's result.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Del Mar

I think the total handle at Belmont today was around $180 million. That is insane. If I'm not mistaken I think that is as much as Churchill gets on Kentucky Derby day.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Huge day for Belmont, good for them.

Hey, pimlico, take note.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Might've been because of the grabbed quarter though. Not sure because War Admiral had it pretty rough too. Not all race-sustained physical problems are created equal and they don't all keep a horse from winning. Maybe all it would've meant is Tonalist catching him in the end or he finished on the board instead of deadheating for 4th. Coburn didn't know about the foot situation when he shot his mouth off. Maybe if he had he'd have rethought the comments and blamed the more likely culprit for his horse's result.
Cali chrome is no war admiral. That horse was a crazy tough little horse.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I think the total handle at Belmont today was around $180 million. That is insane. If I'm not mistaken I think that is as much as Churchill gets on Kentucky Derby day.
$150.3 million per the charts. That is a MASSIVE number. 2013 Belmont Stakes day was $88.7 million. The card was amazing and gave bettors all kinds of different options. Glad the gamble to move the Met Mile paid off.

Edit: Per Matt Hagerty, that actually beats the last BC hosted at Belmont by a pretty wide margin ($124MM)
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Saratoga

Oh yeah there were two words I meant to say in my earlier post...

Palace. Malice.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Oh yeah there were two words I meant to say in my earlier post...

Palace. Malice.
Looked good. I was worried he wouldn't get out, but once he got an opening....bam. Thoroughly enjoyed the racing today.
Thought the Ogden Phipps was fantastic.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Santa Anita

Heads up for anybody concerned about Ride On Curlin. I heard someone said his exercise rider said (how's that for a game of telephone?) he bled and flipped his palate but okay otherwise.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

I figured something was up due to his finish.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
$150.3 million per the charts. That is a MASSIVE number. 2013 Belmont Stakes day was $88.7 million. The card was amazing and gave bettors all kinds of different options. Glad the gamble to move the Met Mile paid off.

Edit: Per Matt Hagerty, that actually beats the last BC hosted at Belmont by a pretty wide margin ($124MM)
I see now that they changed it. When I checked it earlier it said $19 million on track and $150 million ISW. In California there are 3 figures, on-track, ISW, and then ITW. There was nothing listed for ITW, so I figured they did $169 million($150 million ISW plus the $19 million on track), not including ITW. So I figured that including ITW, it was probably around $180 million. Now I see that NY does not show a separate ITW figure. It must be included in the on-track figure.

Now I see the chart says the ISU figure is $131 million, not $150 million, as it showed earlier. Anyway, $150 million is still a huge number. Congrats to NYRA!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Flemington

Castellano deserves props for that ride, and he nearly pulled it off.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Flemington

The updates are flowing in on the horses who ran in the Belmont Stakes, looks like we won't be seeing many of them very soon. (Except for perhaps Medal Count, who is apparently the Iron Horse of the group.)

Constitution --> Going to farm, back to Pletcher mid-July, not expected to start until mid-September
California Chrome --> Back to CA for some R&R, targeting fall races in CA
Ride on Curlin --> Bled, did not displace as previously reported, R&R and a return in the fall
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
The updates are flowing in on the horses who ran in the Belmont Stakes, looks like we won't be seeing many of them very soon. (Except for perhaps Medal Count, who is apparently the Iron Horse of the group.)

Constitution --> Going to farm, back to Pletcher mid-July, not expected to start until mid-September
California Chrome --> Back to CA for some R&R, targeting fall races in CA
Ride on Curlin --> Bled, did not displace as previously reported, R&R and a return in the fall
Constitution?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Constitution?
Opsie, those are his plans, but wrong horsie. Commissioner on the other hand, will get a short vacay at WinStar and target Jim Dandy or Haskell.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan View Post
I really like Bayern in the Woody Stephens.... Can't wait for that race.
Not to toot my own horn but..... Toot toot!