Default 5/10 ATR: Wilkes, Arnold, Migliore, Fernando, Fornatale, Merrow

Derby Weekend Recap ATR, Part #3..

9:30 Pete Fornatale
9:50 Ian Wilkes
10:15 Sid Fernando
11:00 Rusty Arnold
11:15 Rich Migliore
11:40 Seth Merrow

Archive, etc., http://stevebyk.com; SXM 6-9a Wednesday; Capital OTB TV.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Saratoga

Thanks Steve! My wife thinks Im some kind of celebrity now
Old 05-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
You the man Billy!!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Lincoln Fields

Steve -

First of all, thank you for the excellent coverage leading up the the Derby.

I've been around here and listened to ATR for well over 10 years. During that time, I don't remember a situation that I've disagreed with you more than your post script on Always Dreaming and Pletcher.

You're coming off as dismissive, even a bit condescending (especially during Night School) to anyone that bet against Always Dreaming. It seems that you're making the assumption that anyone that bet against AD is actively wishing ill will on Pletcher. I try my best to separate my personal opinions of connections and the wagers I make.

I do not actively cheer against Pletcher but I told anyone that asked me that I was completely against AD on Saturday. Obviously, I was wrong but I wanted to share my reasoning.

1. While I don't think the 1-45 Derby record is completely relevant to this situation, it's not totally irrelevant either. I looked at every horse he'd brought to the Derby before (I created a database if you want to look) and agree that most should not have been expected to win based on their past performances. Additionally, there are few instances where we look at Formulator stats and include 16 years of data. I focused on his record since Super Saver. Horses coming off big tops have not performed well. Horses that ran those tops at GP or AQU have not performed well. Beyond the Derby horses, there are plenty of other Pletcher horses that haven't been able to replicate their GP form in KY. I don't know why and won't speculate but I also won't bet my money on those horses (Saturday won't change that). At 4-1, I didn't consider him to be a wise bet.

2. A lot has been made about how this horse was handled differently. My response to this - Just because he did something different with Always Dreaming, it wasn't a guarantee to work. At 4-1, I didn't consider him to be a wise bet.

3. The workout reports were glowing to say the least. But remember that the equipment change occurred after the workout. He was headstrong every morning and per your conversation with Clocker Dave, that was different for the horse. I agree that most of your clocker guests said positive things about the actual work on 4/28 but Welsch and team gave themselves plenty of wiggle room in my opinion = "Very talented but his demeanor a big question mark on Derby day" Even with a stellar work, there was plenty to question. Not to mention, there were other horses that looked to be training very well without the post work drama. At 4-1, I didn't consider him to be a wise bet.

So again, I'm not a Pletcher "hater" by any means but I still didn't see AD as a likely winner. The funniest thing about all of this is that I keyed a Pletcher horse (Tapwrit) heavily on Saturday. He looked like a carbon copy of Bluegrass Cat and he was a giant price. I thought he'd pair his Tampa Race and he did. Just wasn't enough.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Steve Byk

Ty..

No one was obligated to like Always Dreaming, but the harping on Pletcher and misrepresentation of his record in the Derby was just over the top as justification for not liking or using him. I'm not being condescending to anyone who didn't bet Always Dreaming because they capped and went against.. If I'm being condescending, it's to those who obstinately didn't cash tickets because they despise Pletcher and were actively rooting against him instead of simply evaluating the horse in question.

I can only present information and insights through ATR and in print when I write the races up. I produced Todd Pletcher himself the morning he made adjustments to Always Dreaming to explain what he was doing to mitigate the eagerness and what he thought was generating the eagerness. I brought out insights from Dave Norton, who watched him all winter, as well as Gary Young and Mike Welsch who were watching him daily. (Certainly the clockers who were actually familiar or watching him had it right as opposed to a clocker who wasn't watching him who told people to leave him off all their tickets.) James Scully and I offered a precise projection of the pace and presented the scenario by which Always Dreaming could excel.

I did what I could to help people make the right call on Always Dreaming.

Sorry to have been on the muscle Tuesday. Was tired and irritable and disgusted with a few ridiculous post-Derby sidebars.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Louisiana Downs

Steve no need to be apologizing, you did a great job with guests and the analysis as always...I had him on top with Classic Empire and Irish Way Cry as win candidates but backed off and only used him a little because I was scarred off of his workout antics and expected a little bit different pace....that was my fault with the over analysis......I guess I could join Johnny D. I actually had a friend who tried to make the Pletcher is "Derby Bum" argument until I showed him the horses he had to run against those that should have run.

Stay calm and carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Ty..

No one was obligated to like Always Dreaming, but the harping on Pletcher and misrepresentation of his record in the Derby was just over the top as justification for not liking or using him. I'm not being condescending to anyone who didn't bet Always Dreaming because they capped and went against.. If I'm being condescending, it's to those who obstinately didn't cash tickets because they despise Pletcher and were actively rooting against him instead of simply evaluating the horse in question.

I can only present information and insights through ATR and in print when I write the races up. I produced Todd Pletcher himself the morning he made adjustments to Always Dreaming to explain what he was doing to mitigate the eagerness and what he thought was generating the eagerness. I brought out insights from Dave Norton, who watched him all winter, as well as Gary Young and Mike Welsch who were watching him daily. (Certainly the clockers who were actually familiar or watching him had it right as opposed to a clocker who wasn't watching him who told people to leave him off all their tickets.) James Scully and I offered a precise projection of the pace and presented the scenario by which Always Dreaming could excel.

I did what I could to help people make the right call on Always Dreaming.

Sorry to have been on the muscle Tuesday. Was tired and irritable and disgusted with a few ridiculous post-Derby sidebars.