Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
DRF/Nicole Russo: BC Turf Sprint: Add Celestine to the mix

Add another name to the hat for what is likely to be an overflow group of pre-entries for the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint when that deadline comes Monday. Grade 1 winner Celestine is now expected to cut back in distance for that event, her connections told the Keeneland communications staff after she worked this morning (more on that work, and other Kentucky Breeders' Cup contenders, from Marty McGee here).

In her two most recent starts, Celestine won the Grade 1 Just a Game Stakes at Belmont, then was third (behind Photo Call and champion Tepin) in the Grade 1 First Lady at Keeneland, both races at a mile. But in three starts at less than a mile on turf last year, she won twice (at seven furlongs and five furlongs) and was second once. The Turf Sprint is contested at 6 1/2 furlongs on Santa Anita's idiosyncratic downhill course.

"She won a seven-furlong race at Belmont and she showed a lot of speed at Gulfstream when she broke her maiden and won a little overnight stakes," assistant trainer Rodolphe Brisset said. "We feel pretty comfortable shortening her up. She bounced back really, really good from [the First Lady]."
I was just thinking yesterday, that she had a big look if Mott decided to stretch her out in the F&M Turf.....
Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Steve Byk

Now Limato committing to Mile and WON'T cross-enter in the Turf Sprint..
Old 10-28-2016, 06:56 AM
Steve Byk

LIVING THE LIFE & PAID UP SUBSCRIBER both out of F&M Sprint opening slots for ENCHANTING LADY & GOMO..

If CURALINA goes in Distaff, Leah Gyarmati says she would ship WONDER GAL in for race..
Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
LIVING THE LIFE & PAID UP SUBSCRIBER both out of F&M Sprint opening slots for ENCHANTING LADY & GOMO..

If CURALINA goes in Distaff, Leah Gyarmati says she would ship WONDER GAL in for race..
Sad about Paid Up Subscriber. Thought she had a big shot at a price.

Paul
Old 10-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Zacney/Servis say Cathryn Sophia will pass on Cup after modest work. Goes through sales ring in November. Not sure yet if it's as broodmare only or racing/broodmare prospect.
Once you buy a hoss you can do what you want right? Or do you have to sign a waiver that you don't run her again?
Old 10-30-2016, 07:34 AM
Saratoga

Just a question. Would Santa Anita be able to configure a 5 or 5.5 fr Turf sprint course on their main turf course?
Old 10-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Just a question. Would Santa Anita be able to configure a 5 or 5.5 fr Turf sprint course on their main turf course?
Could they, sure, no reason to.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Could they, sure, no reason to.
Where else is it 6.5 anywhere that can goes 5 or 5.5
Old 10-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Steve Byk

GUN RUNNER nearly certain for Dirt Mile..
Old 10-30-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
GUN RUNNER nearly certain for Dirt Mile..
3rd most likely winner IMO. Defiantly has a shot.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Why is Mike Smith off Drefong?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Why is Mike Smith off Drefong?
Because he chose Masochistic.

Paul
Old 10-31-2016, 11:39 AM
Steve Byk

With @EclipseTBP's Curalina opting for the Distaff, Gyarmati and Jeff Treadway will now get to run Wonder Gal in the F&M Sprint.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Where else is it 6.5 anywhere that can goes 5 or 5.5
not sure what to say, the 6.5 down the hill is a great race and gives a fair shot to all in my opinion.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
not sure what to say, the 6.5 down the hill is a great race and gives a fair shot to all in my opinion.
Haven't most of the winners had prior experience running down the hill at 6.5 not sure I would consider that a fair shot. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that Breeders Cup could do but in my Perfect World distances would be standard for all Breeders cup races and if a track couldn't meet those standards they would not be in the rotation. I know that is a pipe dream. Now after my saying this you can pretty much guarantee this Sat the winner will have no prior experience down the hill.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:17 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Haven't most of the winners had prior experience running down the hill at 6.5 not sure I would consider that a fair shot. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that Breeders Cup could do but in my Perfect World distances would be standard for all Breeders cup races and if a track couldn't meet those standards they would not be in the rotation. I know that is a pipe dream. Now after my saying this you can pretty much guarantee this Sat the winner will have no prior experience down the hill.
There is no "Turf Sprint Champion" so the only thing we are doing is putting on a great betting event and exciting race. You can overcome trouble at that trip, win on the lead, win from behind. Thats all I am looking for in this gimmick race.

It should not even be part of the rotation in my opinion. I am old like that, the 7 races until like 2007 are the ones that are BC races to me.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
There is no "Turf Sprint Champion" so the only thing we are doing is putting on a great betting event and exciting race. You can overcome trouble at that trip, win on the lead, win from behind. Thats all I am looking for in this gimmick race.

It should not even be part of the rotation in my opinion. I am old like that, the 7 races until like 2007 are the ones that are BC races to me.

Fair enough I do enjoy the traditional 5 / 5.5 fr Turf sprints myself.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM
The Curragh

Default BC Sprint

Am i the only one not sold on Drefong?
Kings Bishop Win

* restircted 3 YO race
* no pressure up front
* speed favoring track that day
* off since late August

Having said that, he's going against established older sprinters, and is 3rd choice over AP Indian? He's never EVER been this deep, and i think that baffert/speed is propping this one up.

-bt-
Old 11-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
Kings Bishop Win

* restircted 3 YO race
* no pressure up front
* off since late August

Having said that, he's going against established older sprinters, and is 3rd choice over AP Indian? He's never EVER been this deep, and i think that baffert/speed is propping this one up.

-bt-
Historically layoff horses have done well 8 of last 13 have won in the sprint off 35+ day layoffs so don't dismiss a horse you like just because of a layoff.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
Kings Bishop Win

* restircted 3 YO race
* no pressure up front
* off since late August

-bt-
I don't like him at all.