Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Del Mar

I could care less what kind of shape they are in. Just being honest here. I'd much rather watch out of shape overweight guys play baseball than a bunch of very athletic soccer players run around a field (thats way too big by the way) for one hour and score maybe one goal. They need to do something to make this a more offensive game.

They should shrink the field down in size and increase the size of the goal.

When is this over anyways?
Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Never.

Because I am tired of watching fat, tabacco chompin, spittin, fat guys that stand around.

What kind of sport lets Barry Bonds on the field to play defense. How IN GOD'S NAME can you call baseball a sport when a guy that cannot even run, can play in the outfield?
Now that my friend, is a joke.

Gander if you learned to love baseball, you can learn to love soccer. (Not that you want to)
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Del Mar

Never will I be a fan of soccer. Add that to car racing and bowling, this I am sure of.

And how can you be so sure everybody on those soccer fields are clean? You mean there is absolutely no one who cheats with a banned substance?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Not a soccer fan at all, I would never watch it, but lots of people like it, so to each their own...

The best arguement I have seen for why Baseball and Football are better, is because something can happen on every play with those sports. Even if if is a 0-0 Baseball Game, 1 swing of the bat can change it, the Reds were 0-0 going into the 11th the other day and with one swing of the bat Adam Dunn won the game, at least there's the anticipation something can happen, same thing in Football...

And with the fat Football Players, those are some of the biggest, strongest, fastest people in the world, people do not understand how violent of a game Football can be, someone once compared it to having a car wreck on every play. The speed and size these guys carry is unbelievable...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:25 AM
pgardn

Quote:
And how can you be so sure everybody on those soccer fields are clean? You mean there is absolutely no one who cheats with a banned substance?
Heck, I am susupect of all sports. Except bowling and car racing. I know there are high school kids at almost every school in the district I teach in that used them (majority are football and body-builders). The testing of high school kids is the next step.

I did not say anything about soccer players being clean. Or Barry.

I am just asking how can a guy that cannot even run play in the outfield. What kind of sport that involves some running, on occassion, allow a guy that cannot even run to be in the OUTFIELD. Dont they have to chase down balls?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Santa Anita

watch the second goal that argentina scored today, brilliant..Soccers the most popular sport for a reason..

#Grand
Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
watch the second goal that argentina scored today, brilliant..Soccers the most popular sport for a reason..
Yeah Brock, cause we live in a strange world inhabited by strange creatures! Watching soccer is like watching grass grow except with grass at least you can smoke it at some point!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Santa Anita

somer, im abig fan of american football, baseball, basketball and hockey, basically any sport imaginable, but football is amazing. only racing beats it in my mind. The great thing about football is no matter where you are in the world (except the states and canada) you can talk football to the locals even if you dont know the language!

#Grand
Old 06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
BellamyRd.

this is the cruelest beating I've ever witnessed (6-nil)
people who say a sport is boring usually don't knopw how to watch the sport
I've heard boxing is boring, soccer, curling, hockey, horse racing even
but there are intricacies you look for in the game that make it interesting
I guess what I mean is soccer is not for the casual viewer
but those who are astute on the game and how it is played
or supposed to be played, to really appreciate it
Old 06-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Santa Anita

argentina showed today how to play the game! beautiful, really. on the other hand, england, yesterday despite winning were shocking!

#Grand
Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Del Mar

No I'd much rather watch grass grow.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
argentina showed today how to play the game! beautiful, really. on the other hand, england, yesterday despite winning were shocking!
I think some of the little things that soccer players can pull off are amazing. They get a pass rocketed to them and they have the perfect touch with almost any part of their body to put the ball down right at their feet. Its amazing. When I played a little, that first touch, getting the ball down to where it is controllable is absolutely critical. But if you have not played it, you would not know it. I can hit 3's in basketball all day, or freethrows, thats easy. I'll be damned if I can put a soccer ball right at might feet on a tough pass. I guess thats what I get not growing up with the sport in elementary school, when a lot of muscle memory is established.

There are 1000 other little tidbits like that in soccer.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Flemington

Soccer is o.k. to watch if the players are making skillful passes(like Argentina did today.)If not,it is like a real bad hockey game.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Del Mar

Passes? You watch a sport for passes? Its like watching baseball to see routine double plays. I'm no huge fan of hockey but at least they fight and get roughed up. Anyone know why the soccer players wear their socks damn high? Real bad fashion going on out there.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:51 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Passes? You watch a sport for passes? Its like watching baseball to see routine double plays. I'm no huge fan of hockey but at least they fight and get roughed up. Anyone know why the soccer players wear their socks damn high? Real bad fashion going on out there.
Shin guards are often held in place by the high socks. And shin guards are extraordinarily important. Hurts like hell getting kicked in the shin, even with them on. Some of the shin guards even have the extra ankle pads on the outside and inside so if someone slides into you with cleats, your ankles dont get stabbed. In soccer, the knee down is where the pain usually occurs.

But like I stated before, they fake for rest a whole lot.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

These guys take more dives than pro wrestlers...now there's an idea, maybe Vince should field his own soccer team...The Big Show in goal, Triple H, HBK, bring Nick out of retirement...would sledge hammers and chairs get you red carded? First guy who takes a dive in front of the Undertaker gets tombstoned...that would slow that crap down!
Old 06-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Turf Paradise

It really is to each their own -- baseball bores me like no other sport, but I love a good World Cup match. It was pandemonium yesterday at the pub when we thought our second goal counted...damn, an upset of Italian would have been amazing. I think soccer's one of those sports that's made better with a good crowd. We had such a blast yesterday: Italians at one table, Americans adjacent, beer flowing...here's hoping our match with Ghana is good, too.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
I could care less what kind of shape they are in. Just being honest here. I'd much rather watch out of shape overweight guys play baseball than a bunch of very athletic soccer players run around a field (thats way too big by the way) for one hour and score maybe one goal. They need to do something to make this a more offensive game.

They should shrink the field down in size and increase the size of the goal.

Absolutely ...

... the athletes are great ... but the sport is a complete snoozathon.

After 26 games ... a total of 61 goals had been scored ... an average of 2.3 per game by BOTH teams ... and only about half of those resulted from game action ... the rest coming on penalty kicks and corner kicks.

As Joanne Worley used to say on "Laugh-In" ... BOOOOOOORINGGGG !!!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
These guys take more dives than pro wrestlers...
Yeah ... they do seem to be a bunch of girly-men ... don't they? ... lots of swooning, writhing, and grimacing every time they get a boo-boo.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Wisecracker

Sorry, but soccer just doesn't do it for me.

Lots of running around yet hardly any meaningful action. BORING.