Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Santa Anita

Default anyone interested in the world cup?

its crazy over here, and were not even in it. Should be a great month. Soccer is my 2nd fav sport after racing. I like spain, portugal and the czechs to cause a slight upset. Brazil are vulnerable in defence and England are overated.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
its crazy over here, and were not even in it. Should be a great month. Soccer is my 2nd fav sport after racing. I like spain, portugal and the czechs to cause a slight upset. Brazil are vulnerable in defence and England are overated.
Well, I like Spain and Brazil...will root for Team USA (I guess we're in it, hell if I know)...Spain has impressed me in the past and Brazil always is a factor so those should be OK picks but really, I don't feel qualified to say much!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Germany didn't look too bad this morning against an overmatched Costa Rica
Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Randwyck

in the u.s, soccer is for kids that cant cut it in baseball or football...... i guess i will go with the team from argentina.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:03 AM
chromer

Let's give Soccer proper respect.

Where would the NFL be without Soccer style kickers? Ever see old black and white film from the 60's with kicker's lining up straight to kick the ball?

This is the HUGE contribution Soccer has made to the American sports scene. The 5'-6" 150lb guy on the team now stands at an angle.

Things are still in the stone age for the long snapper though. When oh when will someone figure out a new way to hike the ball?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Saratoga

Jamaica is my pick
Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 PM
The Curragh

ENGLAND
ENGLAND
ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!

nuff said...2nd is the hopes that the US pulls off a miracle

third--ehh how can you not like Brazil
Old 06-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Washington Park

One time in four years I'll watch soccer, and this is it. Hate to go for the favorites - Brazil - but they seem stacked, plus I love the one name thing! Germany looked good opening and the home country has made the final in something like 11 of 18 Worlds Cups. A longshot? Lets look at Mexico!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Randwyck

My thoughts so far on the world cup

Iran- sucks enough said
England better play better football or they wont get past the 2nd round
Germany-Their backliners better wake up or someone will destroy them
Portugal- Looked okay in their opener will need to improve more to compete
Argentina-Looked very strong beating up on the ivory coast.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Santa Anita

yeah skippy, so far only argentina and portugal seem good enough to win it. Germany were shocking in defence. any half decent team will destroy them. England love to hype their team up but were poor. they badly need wayne rooney back in their squad. no chance without him. Some decent games today. the US might pull off a shock against the czechs. they were the best european team 2 years ago, but most of their players are nearing retirement. Italy should win tonight but will not have it their own way against Ghana. All the African teams have looked physically strong and are tough to beat. anyway, should be some good games today!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Santa Anita

Default funny article

from the racing post mixes football with racing.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/rp_...=wrap_12_06_06

some background info, the horse that is highlighted, Quito just ran his 100th race and won it for his 18th win and at 9, is better than ever, and is a personal fav of mine. Oh and he is a rig!!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Suffolk Downs

I'm more than a bit disappointed in that EFFORT. I can handle being beaten as the Czechs are a great team, but the lack of effort, passion, and will is almost depressing for those of us that hoped for a strong showing - whether that showing would take us far or not.

They are getting RIPPED apart by the media here. As disappointed as I am, it's kinda funny to see analysts tearing this team apart. Hopefully the team doesn't shy away from the embarassment and atleast go down swinging. They have plenty of weapons to do some damage in the next two games, but I want to see some friggin LIFE on the pitch.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:41 PM
BellamyRd.

I almost threw up by the effort of Ronaldo today
as a coach it's disgusting when you see talent
play with such lack of motivaton
Ronaldinho was great
but really the Croats outplayed them
and should have won
if they didn't kick the ball right to the goalkeeper every time
I wouldn't play Ronaldo the rest of the group play
I'd stick with Robinho
the Americans are doomed
how did the FIFA's #5 ranked team get placed with #2 Czechs
and three time champ Italy?
My neighbors are Argentines
so I'm rooting for them
but I'd really like to see a 1st time winner
Old 06-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Randwyck

The U.S look absolutely putrid. Watching them is like watching a screenplay. it seems everything is scripted out. We need more free-wheeling in our offense. And kasey Kellar needs to show the hell up.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3481
The U.S look absolutely putrid. Watching them is like watching a screenplay. it seems everything is scripted out. We need more free-wheeling in our offense. And kasey Kellar needs to show the hell up.
Free-wheeling offense? How about any offense. Reyna is the only player that generates anything.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Del Mar

YES i am very interested in the World Cup.... I am interested in the World Cup ending! When is that?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 AM
Turf Paradise

From what I've read over here, the FIFA rankings have been criticized intensely, and our collapse has given a lot of people ammunition to keep tearing into them.

We're off to watch our match against Italy at a football-crazed pub Saturday. It should be painful, but someone has to cheer us on (or cringe and hide behind the pint, either way).

I grew up playing soccer/football and loved it, so I enjoy the World Cup. It's really great being in the UK -- I don't think I've ever seen so many car flags supporting the team anywhere.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Randwyck

Q UOTE=Gander]YES i am very interested in the World Cup.... I am interested in the World Cup ending! When is that?[/quote]....
Old 06-15-2006, 09:49 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
YES i am very interested in the World Cup.... I am interested in the World Cup ending! When is that?

Where is the respect...? How many fat players do you see on a soccer field compared to a football or baseball field? Cmon Gander, you are into fitness. These guys are totally fit or they sit.

I will say it is an aquired taste much like baseball. The sport is deeper than the score. Its hard for some people to appreciate unless you have played. This sport in damn tough to play. When you see teams pass the ball and move into opens space so efficiently and set up a shot that misses, there is still beauty in the play. Its kind of like a pitcher setting up a guy for a high tight one for watch that one strike 3. We might love it, but people who dont know the sport look and say what is the big deal? You got to move for 45 minutes straight sprinting and cutting in between. And then do it again.

It is a fantastic sport and a wonderful exercise in team cohesion.

A change: If a guy has to be carted off the field on a stretcher, he is out of the game and a substitution must be made. He must also sit out the team's next game as he must have been severly injured. They fake way too much to catch a breath.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
pgardn

If he is knocked down and cannot get up, he has 40 seconds before a stretcher is brought on... and once the stretcher is on the field a player must come off and be substituted for.

pgardn rules of soccer: Article IV subsection 32a Verse III(c) pslam G5