Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2006, 06:03 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Default Gander/Red Sox/The Streak

Imagine how good we would be if we played in the NL East. We could have a 15-20 game lead by now..

How good was that catch by CoCo last night???WOW...and a huge catch as well. David Wright almost came through in the clutch again, but denied by CoCo's tremendous effort.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Del Mar

One of the best I have ever seen Kev. Throw in the fact that had he not caught that it would have been a tie game and Wright may have possible been on 3rd... Amazing.

I love this streak!
Old 06-30-2006, 07:38 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
One of the best I have ever seen Kev. Throw in the fact that had he not caught that it would have been a tie game and Wright may have possible been on 3rd... Amazing.

I love this streak!

I went nuts when he laid out and made that effort.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Churchill Downs

Cool

A fantastic catch by COCO....the sox's are laying MAJOR leather down, just need the pitching to stand up & the hitters will keep going. Its a long season, but IM enjoyin this run !!
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:06 AM
oracle80

I have to say that the streak is very impressive. But as a Yankee guy I'm pretty happy. Usually when a team goes on an incredible run like this they open up a huge lead in the division. The Yankees only trail by four games despite the incredible Red Sox run. Hanging tough and close within your primary opponents huge run of the year is clutch in order to have a chance to run them down and the strength of schedules in the 2nd half favors the Yanks this year(last year it favored the Sox).
Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Del Mar

Ya, I have been saying to everybody that the only thing that kind of bums me out is we dont have a 6-7 game lead right now. I guess 4 isnt bad considering we arent a real dominate team and the Yankees just never go away, doesnt matter what the year or who is on their team.

Like 2 Dollar Bill said, I am enjoying this right now very much. The Sox look like they are really enjoying themselves.

Oracle- Give me a prediction of how the Yankees-Mets series turns out this weekend. I say the Yankees win 2 of 3.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Churchill Downs

Cool

I wouldnt be surprised if one NY team sweeps the other.. Dont ask me which one....but I see a sweep., and somehow I see this sweep around
B. Wagner.. so some late game hero's or goats..
Go Sox's !
Old 06-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I have to say that the streak is very impressive. But as a Yankee guy I'm pretty happy. Usually when a team goes on an incredible run like this they open up a huge lead in the division. The Yankees only trail by four games despite the incredible Red Sox run. Hanging tough and close within your primary opponents huge run of the year is clutch in order to have a chance to run them down and the strength of schedules in the 2nd half favors the Yanks this year(last year it favored the Sox).
This is a good point, as a Red Sox guy I have loved the streak, but usually the lead opens up a bit more than just 4 games. Yankees are playing the same NL East, so they have been hanging tough, only difference has been the Red Sox have played like .900 ball against the NL East and the Yankees have been like .700. I'd be happy to play .700 ball anyday. It will close to the finish, as it always is.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:06 AM
oracle80

I think the Yanks take at least two games. I like the way the Yankees pitchers are starting to perform. I think that the answer to the middle relief situation could well be this kid Beam. Torre has been easing him into things but he throws hard and has good control. He doesnt aim the ball like Farnsworth and Prior do. He seems to just throw the ball, which is always what you want to see.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Santa Anita

Congrats on your team doing as well as they are doing Gander. It is amazing.

I only wish my team was doing as well. I can dream though...
Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Arlington Park

If I were a Yankee fan, I wouldn't be feeling too optimistic. First Sheffield, then Matsui. Then again, it's still very early and the Tigers are still, after all, the Tigers. The Red Sox come to Miami this weekend, so down here we at least get to see some of our players ... Lowell, Beckett, Gonzales. Sox are lucky to have Gonzo. He's the kind of guy player you really appreciate when seeing him every day. Hits better than average for a SS and makes all the plays.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
This is a good point, as a Red Sox guy I have loved the streak, but usually the lead opens up a bit more than just 4 games. Yankees are playing the same NL East, so they have been hanging tough, only difference has been the Red Sox have played like .900 ball against the NL East and the Yankees have been like .700. I'd be happy to play .700 ball anyday. It will close to the finish, as it always is.
Actually the Red Sox are something like 16-1 and the Yankees are like 9-8. Big difference.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Goodwood

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Mets, yet again, for trading Scott Kazmir to my beloved Devil Rays.

What a gem last night. Sorry Sox fans, we gotta get one once in a while. You can go ahead and get the next three now.

It sucks getting excited every 5th day. The Rays have a decent young 8 in the field and some nice ones on the way up if they can stay out of trouble, but they never have and still have no pitching. They may never learn.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Mets, yet again, for trading Scott Kazmir to my beloved Devil Rays.

What a gem last night. Sorry Sox fans, we gotta get one once in a while. You can go ahead and get the next three now.

It sucks getting excited every 5th day. The Rays have a decent young 8 in the field and some nice ones on the way up if they can stay out of trouble, but they never have and still have no pitching. They may never learn.

Bigs,

BJ Upton is a local boy. His pops used to play golf at the course I was the pro at in Suffolk. I do hope he can get his fielding straightened out and get back up in the majors.

Plenty of other local boys doing well in the big leagues though.

Dec 9th!!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Goodwood

Kev,

I think BJ will get his shot this year. Too many trade rumors for Julio Lugo, I look for him go to a contender before the trade deadline and the spot will be BJ's for a long time if he can get his fielding even to a slightly below average level.

Delmon Young is the real deal with a bad head. Should get his full time shot next year.

Crawford, Baldelli, Young, Upton, Cantu, Huff (throw out the first half of every season) and Gomes. Some serious bashing with a lot of speed mixed in.

Another NC boy makes his pro debut today. Josh Hamilton will start at DH for Hudson Valley. A total speciman. If he can stay away from the drugs...

Dec 9th can't come soon enough.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:38 AM
oracle80

All that excitement over the incredible streak and all that doom and gloom about the Yanks yet last night game number 82(first game of the second half of the season) was played by both teams, and Yanks are just 3 back this morning. Any Red Sox or Yankee fan who thinks that one of the teams is just going to go away is only kidding themselves. I think it was Gander who said to expect a see saw all year long way back in May, and I agree with him. This thing will be decided in September.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Churchill Downs

Cool

Thats why they call it a L O N G season.... Would be interesting to see if the Tigers can keep this up or the pressures of the AL east big two push there way in.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Dollar Bill
Thats why they call it a L O N G season.... Would be interesting to see if the Tigers can keep this up or the pressures of the AL east big two push there way in.
The Tigers and WHite Sox will most certainly both make the playoffs. WHile they are pushing one another to see who wins the division, both will overachieve because of the incredibly high level at which both play these days.
The AL West will be tight all the way and decided the last 1-2 days.

I really don't see a heck of a lot of difference between the Yanks and Boston other than the fact the Yanks are the walking wounded. Thing is that it seems to have made the Yanks mentally tougher and although they are behind the 8 ball with the current injuries, a healthy Cano will return, and Sheffield will be back for the playoff push. Its gonna really help them out.
The trades before the all star break will decide this race. The Yankees have some serious trade bait down in Columbus named Duncan. There aren't a whole lot of teams that wouldnt want a third baseman that young who is obviously going to be a very good major leaguer at some point. A team who knows that they aren't going anywhere this year would jump at the chance to unload some highly paid players in order to get him. Seems crazy to trade him but its not really. Arod isn't going anywhere(even if they wanted to get rid of him they couldnt, hes paid too much for anyone to take) and the fact is that they can let Duncan play in Columbus for years without hope or cash in and trade him. I'd trade him.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Churchill Downs

Wink Before you put the tigers in the playoffs

Do you really think that Kenny Rogers..(not the singer) is a ""ace"" of a playoff staff ? < just food for thought >
Old 07-06-2006, 08:41 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Dollar Bill
Do you really think that Kenny Rogers..(not the singer) is a ""ace"" of a playoff staff ? < just food for thought >
No but its a team game and they play very sound baseball like the managers teams always do. So many people in this day and age of stats ruling forget that baserunning and fielding play such a huge part in a teams success. As well as team players who will sac fly with a guy on 3rd rather than try to hit one out of the park to pad their stats.
When you play smart and disciplined baseball(you wanna play for their manager you dont get a pat on the butt if you screw up, you get benched) it keeps you in the game and allows you to pull some comebacks late in the game because you are only down 1-2 instead of 3-4. He also is a bright guy in that hes old fashioned and gives a guy on the mound the hook when he sees him going bad instead of hoping he will pitch his way out of the jam because he is still within his "pitch count". THat has to be one of the dumbest thing in pro sports, right up there with the squib kick and the prevent defense.
The new managers will leave a guy in who obviously has no stuff and is getting tatooed because the guys hes facing that inning "have poor stats against him" or because hes within his pitch count. Its complete and utter nonsense. While Pedro was getting sheeled by the Red Sox last week I'm trying to figure out exactly why Randolph left him in there. Billy Martin was one of the greatest managers of all time and when one of his guys started getting shelled he would RUN out of the dugout and tap one of his arms before he even got to the mound to ask the pitcher how he felt, he didn't care how he felt, his ass was out of there.