Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 PM
Washington Park

Default Steve Corned Beef

stormcatsue told me you had a good Corned Beef recipe.

Wondering if you have a link or could post it up. I can do it OK, but always looking for a better idea.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:24 PM
Steve Byk

Glad you reminded me..

There is still time to save yourself from the humbling experience of a soggy, rubbery, tasteless corned beef tonight! Remember: Braise = Praise.. Back by demand, the Braised Corned Beef recipe, plus a bonus of my Corned Beef Glaze if you want to go the candied route..

BRAISED CORNED BEEF

4-5# flat cut corned beef brisket
1T Kitchen Bouquet
1T vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
4T water, beer or beef broth

Pre-heat oven 275. Brush corned beef with browning agent (Kitchen Bouquet). Sear corned beef in large skillet 5-8 min. on each side. Place seared brisket on roasting tray in baking dish. Arrange sliced onion, garlic on top and add liquid to bottom of dish. Foil tightly and bake 6 hours.

CORNED BEEF GLAZE

1/2 jar Red Currant Jelly
1.5 t lemon juice
1/4 t dijon mustard
1/4 c brown sugar

Blend. Coat cooked brisket. Bake 350, 20-30 min. coating additionally as desired

Last edited by Kasept : 03-17-2023 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:45 AM
Saratoga

Sounds great!

My method

https://www.amazon.com/Tribest-Sousv...ide+water+oven

(Scroll down to cooking secction)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...-food-lab.html

180 degrees for 10 hours, let sit overnight. Slice and steam
Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Glad you reminded me..

There is still time to save yourself from the humbling experience of a soggy, rubbery, tasteless corned beef tonight! Remember: Braise = Praise.. Back by demand, the Braised Corned Beef recipe, plus a bonus of my Corned Beef Glaze if you want to go the candied route..

BRAISED CORNED BEEF

4-5# flat cut corned beef brisket
1T Kitchen Bouquet
1T vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
4T water, beer or beef broth

Pre-heat oven 275. Brush corned beef with browning agent (Kitchen Bouquet). Sear corned beef in large skillet 5-8 min. on each side. Place seared brisket on roasting tray in baking dish. Arrange sliced onion, garlic on top and add liquid to bottom of dish. Foil tightly and bake 6 hours.

CORNED BEEF GLAZE

1/2 jar Red Currant Jelly
1.5 t lemon juice
1/4 t dijon mustard
1/4 c brown sugar

Blend. Coat cooked brisket. Bake 350, 20-30 min. coating additionally as desired

very nice!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Sounds great!

My method

https://www.amazon.com/Tribest-Sousv...ide+water+oven

(Scroll down to cooking secction)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...-food-lab.html

180 degrees for 10 hours, let sit overnight. Slice and steam
and you like Sous Vide cooking style?
Old 03-16-2018, 04:43 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rverge View Post
and you like Sous Vide cooking style?
Absolutely. I cook nearly all my protein this way.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Washington Park

Thanks much Steve !

Interesting article jms. Always wondered why all my old relatives always had ham and cabbage. Now I know.

I'm going to roll with the SB recipe, got plenty of time to play some races Sat.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:44 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Absolutely. I cook nearly all my protein this way.
cool! i do not use so much. not even in the kitchens i worked. Keller uses it a lot. or he used to. and i do think the Troisgros bros started to use it for their Foie.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rverge View Post
cool! i do not use so much. not even in the kitchens i worked. Keller uses it a lot. or he used to. and i do think the Troisgros bros started to use it for their Foie.
I have Keller’s book but it is far above my head and alot of ingredients are not obtainable for the layman. Been to alot of resurants that use it for chicken. It is magical for chicken. Simple Costco skinless deboned chicken breasts for 2 hours at 150 is something I have several times a week. Again recipe from SeriousEats.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Washington Park

Well, it was good. I violated the recipe and put a can of beer in there. Turned out rare, I had a 4# brisket. Could have let it go for 7 to 7 1/2 hours. Maybe the added liquid skewed that. You do have to remove it and let it rest. I waited 20 min. and the fat was not fully congealed. Should have waited 45 minutes. Ate dinner and let it sit and now it is perfect for sandwiches tomorrow.

Taste was excellent. So tender you could cut with a fork. Searing it kept all those nice juices in. Really good.

I think the beer was a plus. The alcohol steams off in the cooking, so it's not like boozy corned beef. It's long gone. However, I would imagine different beers or ales could enhance the cooking.

But I did think that skewed the cooking time. Steve said 4T of liquid, but if I am cooking something at home and it runs out of liquid, I'm in big trouble. I'm in a world of trouble. If I got smoke or smell in the kitchen, my life turns horrible. So I try to err on the non-smoke side.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunan4759 View Post
Well, it was good. I violated the recipe and put a can of beer in there. Turned out rare, I had a 4# brisket. Could have let it go for 7 to 7 1/2 hours. Maybe the added liquid skewed that. You do have to remove it and let it rest. I waited 20 min. and the fat was not fully congealed. Should have waited 45 minutes. Ate dinner and let it sit and now it is perfect for sandwiches tomorrow.

Taste was excellent. So tender you could cut with a fork. Searing it kept all those nice juices in. Really good.

I think the beer was a plus. The alcohol steams off in the cooking, so it's not like boozy corned beef. It's long gone. However, I would imagine different beers or ales could enhance the cooking.

But I did think that skewed the cooking time. Steve said 4T of liquid, but if I am cooking something at home and it runs out of liquid, I'm in big trouble. I'm in a world of trouble. If I got smoke or smell in the kitchen, my life turns horrible. So I try to err on the non-smoke side.
Corned beef rare?? beer would or more liquid would not skewed. may be next time take cover off and let it brown just a bit. can always glaze it with honey-mustard mix
Old 03-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Washington Park

OK, Now today it is just perfect. Had a great cold sandwich. Taste and tenderness was right on.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Washington Park

Default Corned Beef and Cabbage

Steve, where is the link to your recipe ? Made it last year and got great accolades. It was great.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Steve, where is the link to your recipe ? Made it last year and got great accolades. It was great.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ts-recipe.html

No need to brine your own just buy store bought and skip to step 2
Old 03-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Keeneland

The search function here is great. Here’s your thread from 2 years ago

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Corned
Old 03-15-2020, 01:05 PM
Washington Park

Thanks for link Hoss. Just what I was looking for. Luckily I did get a Corned Beef Brisket and 2 heads of Cabbage yesterday morning. Going to try tomorrow for some potatoes and carrots, were sold out.

Guiness is good as a beer add. I also like adding a shot or two of whiskey. If you don't drink, don't worry. The alcohol is evaporated in the cooking. The barley, hops, rye make good flavor.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:25 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Thanks for link Hoss. Just what I was looking for. Luckily I did get a Corned Beef Brisket and 2 heads of Cabbage yesterday morning. Going to try tomorrow for some potatoes and carrots, were sold out.

Guiness is good as a beer add. I also like adding a shot or two of whiskey. If you don't drink, don't worry. The alcohol is evaporated in the cooking. The barley, hops, rye make good flavor.
Shame to waste the nectar of the Gods in food lol. Guinness is great for cooking
Old 03-17-2020, 12:18 AM
Washington Park

OK, going back in. Got the CB and Cabbage, but not the carrots and potatoes. May try at the store tomorrow. Did all the marinade and ready to go in the morning. Going to sear and braise. Not really different, but going to sear in a wok. Don't think it makes a difference. I guess it is my Chinese background. I'm an Irish-American from Philly but have a great Chinese wife.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:38 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
OK, going back in. Got the CB and Cabbage, but not the carrots and potatoes. May try at the store tomorrow. Did all the marinade and ready to go in the morning. Going to sear and braise. Not really different, but going to sear in a wok. Don't think it makes a difference. I guess it is my Chinese background. I'm an Irish-American from Philly but have a great Chinese wife.
The only potential issue with the wok that I see would be if the base isn’t big enough...but it likely will be.

One of these days I’m going to have to try one of these recipes. Really want to try the crab cake recipe...but my wife is allergic to shellfish. Maybe this one. My dad’s mom was Irish-American and used to make this multiple times per year.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:01 PM
Washington Park

Have to give another cap off to Steve's recipe today. With all outward social festivities off, all quarantined activities focused at home and the recipe came through again.

When I got the meat a fork wouldn't even go into it, it was so tough. By the end, the most tender stuff you ever ate. Braise=Praise.

Thanks Steve.