Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Washington Park

Default Belmont Park Egg Salad

I remember years ago at Belmont Park and when I drove 3 1/2 hours to get there, the first thing I wanted was an Egg Salad Sandwich from the ladies up on the 2nd floor. They were so good. Think Harry Stevens was the concession. Those sandwiches were so good.

They were so good. On a Kaiser Roll, wrapped in Saran Wrap. but so good. Always made that morning. Think they were $2.

Back then you'd see cars on fire on the Belt Parkway. It was worriesome. I'd get to the track and have a beer, a shot and an Egg Salad Sandwich. Then I'd be in the wonderful world that is Belmont Park.

People don't appreciate how nice that place is. It's a grand place. If you haven't been there, go there.

Don't have the Egg Salad Sanwiches anymore, but still a great accomplishment in US racing. A 1 1/2 mile track.

Before they change it, go there. Go to Aqueduct too. I used to go to Hollywood Park a lot. I have great memories of that place. Aqueduct is a very nice place. I used to go there for the Derby preps and Wood every year. It is a brilliantly designed racetrack.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:28 PM
helicopter11

I never been to Belmont but I use to go to Hollywood Park a lot. I remember the corned beef sandwiches
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Calder Race Course

Default Clam Chowder

sharp thread!

I miss Calder's clam chowder
Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla View Post
sharp thread!

I miss Calder's clam chowder
The famous racetrack Corned Beef's and Clam Chowders all had their origin with Harry M. Stevens concessionaire catering.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Washington Park

Yeah, I loved the Clam Chowder at Laurel. Great memories.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:12 PM
The Curragh

Philadelphia Park back in the day had a Provolone Porky stand. Those were the days my friend.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:44 PM
Turf Paradise

The Jamaican food stand at Aqueduct was fantastic and my favorite track food. Got some curried goat with the peas and rice. Price was good too. And of course there was that guy that ran those really good BBQ stands at Saratoga. What was that sandwich in the last year that you had that Steve? Pot roast I think? That was damn tasty.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Jerome Park

The loss of the Jamaican Food stand is a shame at both Aqueduct and Belmont. The bigger loss at Belmont was over a decade ago when the French Food stand left. That place was awesome.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:52 PM
Havre de Grace

No more Nathan’s fries at Saratoga. That stinks. No hand melons or tomatoes at the gate when you’re leaving either. The Suffolk Downs Chili is also in the wind. People brought it home for the best chili dogs ever .
Old 01-30-2018, 08:54 AM
Washington Park

Speaking of food at the track......

One thing for sure is, a hot dog always tastes better after you win a race. Funny how that works.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al View Post
The Jamaican food stand at Aqueduct was fantastic and my favorite track food. Got some curried goat with the peas and rice. Price was good too. And of course there was that guy that ran those really good BBQ stands at Saratoga. What was that sandwich in the last year that you had that Steve? Pot roast I think? That was damn tasty.
One year on Traver’s Eve, I made Steve a real Philadelphia Cheesesteak with ribeye from a South Philly Italian butcher on a Sarcone’s roll with sauted white onion and fresh picked Kennett Square mushrooms. I think Steve started selling the Pot Roast sandwich after that!!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Longchamps

I can't think of anything better then breakfast at the silks bar in Tampa after a 30 pack the day before.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al View Post

The Carolina Barbecue Pork was always the engine on the train, but we did have Pot Roast in Gravy (formerly Beef Brisket) the last 2 years which was a huge hit. The other non-BBQ items that were successfully introduced were the Chicago Italian Beef and Bobby Frankel's favorite, Montreal Smoked Meet (which gave rise to the Brisket/Pot Roast).

Old 01-30-2018, 01:17 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Miss The 'q' Every Year.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 PM
Sunshine Park

Every trip to Santa Anita involves an egg salad sandwich from the snack bar outside Sirona's. Cold diet Pepsi and chips.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:43 AM
Del Mar

The Manhattan Clam Chowder was a must every visit to Calder.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Havre de Grace

Hatties fried chicken sandwich was a staple for me on restaurant row for me at the Spa .

Blaise Pascal
Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Woodbine

Pretty sure Charlotte Weber fell in love with the Pot Roast sandwich. I enjoyed the pulled pork with hot sauce.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
The Manhattan Clam Chowder was a must every visit to Calder.
The red chowder at Saratoga followed by a Carolina pork with hot sauce was the only double I ever hit there!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
The red chowder at Saratoga followed by a Carolina pork with hot sauce was the only double I ever hit there!
Been there, done that. Amazing that on a 94 degree day in August to start with red chowder and follow with more hot goodness is the plan, but it is.

The gumbo at fair grounds is really good too. I like the way the soups of the day is included with the program changes on the tv screens