Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2024, 10:48 AM
The Curragh

Default Venue for April 6th

I am going to choose Keenland for Saturday's contest. The question I have is whether we want to add the Santa Anita Derby and the Wood Memorial. As you know I think less is more so if we add the two big 3 year old stake races I will definitely eliminate race 1 at Keenland and maybe the finale after the Blue Grass. Of course you can wager on any race at Keenland. I can't find it now but I thought I read there would be a Pick 3 on those three preps. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:26 AM
The Curragh

MEWSINGS FROM THE LITTER BOX

I THINK SKIPPING SA DERBY + WOOD WOULD BE WRONG
ALL DERBY CONTENDERS SHOULD RUN IN OUR CONTETS

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 04-03-2024, 12:22 PM
Havre de Grace

I think you know that I support the idea of playing all the Derby Preps unless a field for one of the preps falls to a ridiculous level of entrants like 3 or 4 horses. Haven't seen any like that, but you never know how many you will get for Santa Anita, but even there the fields seemed to have improved somewhat on race days. Thing is though, Baffert might have several of the horses and if he won, his horse will not be going to the Derby because his horses will be banned for a while. That is what happened with Muth, the Oaklawn winner.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:25 PM
Oriental Park

You are spot on about a pick 3 on the Derby Preps this Saturday.

This was culled from yesterday's DRF:

"There will be a pick three wager offered on the major Kentucky Derby prep races being run on Saturday.

Called the Big 3 Pick 3, the bet, with a base wager of $3 and a 19 percent takeout, will be offered on the Grade 2 Wood Memorial from Aqueduct, the Grade 1 Blue Grass Stakes from Keeneland, and the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby from Santa Anita.

The fields for the Wood and Santa Anita Derby were to be drawn Wednesday. The field for the Blue Grass was to be drawn Tuesday"
Old 04-03-2024, 12:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
I think you know that I support the idea of playing all the Derby Preps unless a field for one of the preps falls to a ridiculous level of entrants like 3 or 4 horses. Haven't seen any like that, but you never know how many you will get for Santa Anita, but even there the fields seemed to have improved somewhat on race days. Thing is though, Baffert might have several of the horses and if he won, his horse will not be going to the Derby because his horses will be banned for a while. That is what happened with Muth, the Oaklawn winner.

Cal, you might enjoy reading this article about Muth. His owners haven't given up on his Derby opportunity and have filed suit to try to permit it:

https://www.drf.com/news/zedan-seeks...kentucky-derby
Old 04-03-2024, 12:40 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Cal, you might enjoy reading this article about Muth. His owners haven't given up on his Derby opportunity and have filed suit to try to permit it:

https://www.drf.com/news/zedan-seeks...kentucky-derby
I just saw that on DRF. Considering how slow that courts are you have to wonder whether they will even be heard before the first Saturday in May.

I was looking for the tri that RQ alluded to, but didn't see anything about that.
Not listed as a bet allowed on DRF listing of entries. Oh, sorry, didn't see your post on that wager.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:26 AM
The Curragh

Saturday the venue will be Keenland races 2 thru 11 followed by the Wood Memorial from Aqueduct and then the Santa Anita Derby. Point picks should be complete by 1:32 the scheduled post for race 2 and if you choose to wager on race 1 in the ROI the post time is 1. If Joly would be so kind to post the threads it would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:42 AM
Oriental Park

I'll be glad to RQ. Looking forward to the races also. Nothing in racing is more beautiful than Keeneland in the springtime.

I'd like to add a caveat to anyone who wants to play the Big 3 Pick 3 as part of the ROI. So that there is no confusion about your wager, it would be prudent to specify the race or track that each leg covers, for example:

$3 Big 3 Pick 3: Wood: 1,2,3; Blue Grass: 4,5,6; SA Derby: 2,5

Last edited by JolyB : 04-04-2024 at 10:52 AM.