Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2006, 02:59 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
LSU by two touchdowns....

GEAUX TIGAHS!!!
How about the pros this week? Lots of very contentious games.
I'm SOOOO MEDIOCRE at picking pro football. Every year I get in a pool at a bar and restaurant here where you have to pick every game every week against the spread. I'M ALWAYS AT .500!!!! Just one year I wanna contend for the top ten who get prizes. Hell I'd love to be the worst, even the last place guy gets a prize. I vowed this year to really pay attention and study the games.
60 games played so far this year, and what am I against the spread in my pool? 30 wins 30 losses. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I'm SOOOO MEDIOCRE at picking pro football. Every year I get in a pool at a bar and restaurant here where you have to pick every game every week against the spread. I'M ALWAYS AT .500!!!! Just one year I wanna contend for the top ten who get prizes. Hell I'd love to be the worst, even the last place guy gets a prize. I vowed this year to really pay attention and study the games.
60 games played so far this year, and what am I against the spread in my pool? 30 wins 30 losses. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Outside of last Sunday afternoon the NFL has been taking me to the woodshed, as you see by checking out my Foo'Ball thread.

However, I played a 4 teamer - Browns pick'em, Redskins +130, Pats +6 and Rams -6.5. It came down to the Rams down by 1 with 2:30 left and a touchdown then a two point conversion. Then the Lions almost killed me on a botched pass interference call at the 1. Fortunately for me the ball was tipped and uncatchable. Talk about heart attack city. That call could have robbed me of $1110.

Doing OK with college.

Oh and take the colts -18.5 against the hapless titans.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
50bucks for alcohol on the premises-shame on them---how will polytrack stop juicing? that makes no sense at all
If that does not make any sense to you, then you do not understand whats going on in California racing...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Hawthorne

I do not know the reasons the Keeneland people decided to go to Poly, if it was the speed favoring track or what, but I know why they are doing out in California.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
I suck at it too...as a matter of fact, I was so bad at it in college that I had to pawn most of my possessions to get straight with the bookies at the end of one year

....sucked....thats when decided to stick with the horses....they don't make you pay juice
Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
i will look for your response when i get back from the store

In California it has got to the point in which the trainers need to drug their horses, usually illegal amounts, so they can be competitive. Along with training the piss out of them with 1:11 or 1:12 6f works just so they can stay in touch with the pace of the races. It is breaking the horses down at a significant rate.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
oracle80

Quote:
I suck at it too...as a matter of fact, I was so bad at it in college that I had to pawn most of my possessions to get straight with the bookies at the end of one year

....sucked....thats when decided to stick with the horses....they don't make you pay juice

You'll notice I never post about betting sports. I only make "mind bets" and play in a football pool thats costs 120 bucks a year.
I've always loved sports more than anything, even horses, but I think its impossible to bet them and make money in the long haul. I just don't bet sports. Maybe a handshake bet on a big game with a friend, but I''ve never placed a bet in my life with a bookie, and of that I'm real happy.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Saratoga

Betting sports is a hell of lot more frustrating, I will tell you that. I think it is because in horse racing, you have 5-11 other horses that can potentially beat you, and that is acceptable most times, in sports, you have one team on the other side that is suppose to suck that day.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Arlington Park

I'll dabble a few dollars on a night game once in a while. It's just too nerve-wracking to watch a game with big $$ on it.

However, I DO WAGER AS MUCH AS I REASONABLY CAN every year on the Under in the Pro Bowl.

Check the scoring history. It's unbelieveable.

Hell, one year there was a delay due to a storm or something like that. To keep the TV network schedule on track, they decided to play the 2nd half with A RUNNING CLOCK.

Running clock = good thing for the Under people.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Sheepshead Bay

At one time I played some college basketball, I have a passion for that sport, my rule of thumb was never to bet on the Bearcats. I despise Kentucky and Xavier, never bet on them to lose, but if I thought they could win, load up. Biggest win I ever had was when Xavier was playing St. Joseph in the A-10 tournament, I took X and the money line, Xavier won and ended up going to the Elite Eight that year, they got screwed by the refs and should have beat Duke, but I didn't bet them that game...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
At one time I played some college basketball, I have a passion for that sport, my rule of thumb was never to bet on the Bearcats. I despise Kentucky and Xavier, never bet on them to lose, but if I thought they could win, load up. Biggest win I ever had was when Xavier was playing St. Joseph in the A-10 tournament, I took X and the money line, Xavier won and ended up going to the Elite Eight that year, they got screwed by the refs and should have beat Duke, but I didn't bet them that game...
Yeah that money line was sweet if I recall correctly. Wasn't Finn a freshman that year?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Yeah that money line was sweet if I recall correctly. Wasn't Finn a freshman that year?
I can't remember, but they had a big guy, can't remember his name, he started playing really well towards the end of the year, he was their key that season, it was a very good team(I hate to admit it)...

If I can brag, I have to tell about one of my worst beats, I took UCONN in the Final Four and that moron for Duke throws up a shot at the end and takes out the spread, I had that parlay crushed and I was bragging to my wife how I just made a bunch of money, she couldn't understand why I turned pale after he hit that bucket...
Old 10-05-2006, 05:01 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I like the one I am in. We just pick the winner of each game, and then pick a tie breaker score on the Monday Night game. If their is a tie the closest who does not go over wins the pot. Then, at the end of the year they pay out to the top 3. $5 a week, with at least 30 people playing each week. Last year I won twice and finished 4th in the final standings. This year I have picked these many right - 10, 9, 8 and 8. Sucking this year.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
For example, here's what I'd do in the Alcibaides ---

Bet $2 (or whatever units your comfortable with in your wagering system) to WIN on the following horses and sit back and watch:

-X Star (10-1 ML)
-Bel Air Beauty (30-1 ML)
-Pro Pink (30-1 ML)
-Get Ready Bertie (20-1 ML)
-Gatorize (12-1 ML)
-Her Majesty (12-1 ML)

......it'll cost $12 (or whatever your units are) and you'll at least get even money and likely better if any of these fillies wins...

Good luck!
Hope you went ahead and did this.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I'm probably betting Pro Pink, Her Majesty, and X Star so that pretty much guarantees that one of the other three you mentioned winds up winning.
And you can thank me for guaranteeing it for you.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Hope you went ahead and did this.
Yep, I crushed the race...

Bet $20 to win on those 6....NICE WAY TO START THE WEEKEND!!!

Gotta love the fake $97 winner due to Polytrack, smollytrack....this will continue to happen ALLLLLL meet long....