Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Steve Byk

Default 11/29 (AQU): Cigar Mile (G1), Remsen, Demoiselle (G2's), Comely (G3)

An early Cigar Mile preview

Yes, the race is 2 weeks away and nominations don't close until tomorrow, but I'm taking a little time off after today so here's an early preview of G1 Cigar Mile to be run on 11-29.

Atreides: Looked awesome winning first three starts. Looked ordinary when running sixth at even-money in Grade 2 Indiana Derby.

Bourbon Courage: Highlight remains G2 Super Derby in 2013 for this 5-year-old, but his last two have been good. He won an allowance race at Keeneland and then was fourth, beaten just 2 lengths in BC Sprint.

Itsmyluckyday: G1 Woodward winner blew up when third in G2 Kelso on 9-27. May have been the best thing that ever happened to him. He avoided a possible supplement to BC Dirt Mile where I think he would have gotten dusted by Goldencents. Instead, he returned to Florida to train and will come into what is likely to be career finale relatively fresh.

Palace: Multiple G1 winner has Fall Highweight as first preference but I can't see how he doesn't get assigned 140 or 136 pounds and if that's the case don't be surprised if Linda Rice alters course and runs here. Bled when sixth in BC Sprint. Has made 23 starts and never has gone this far. Did win a NY-bred allowance going 7 1-2 furlongs over main track in Nov. 2012.

Private Zone: Second to Flat Out in this race at 32-1 last year. Won G1 Vosburgh at Belmont for a second consecutive year and ran a respectable third in BC Sprint.

Salutos Amigos: After winning G3 Bold Ruler Handicap this seemed like the logical next step. Instead, his connections wheeled him back in a week in BC Sprint where he ran seventh, just behind Palace, beaten only 3 lengths by Work All Week. Back on his home court at Aqueduct where he is 2 for 3 and where he trains daily.

Secret Circle: Trainer Bob Baffert, via text Friday, indicated the Cigar Mile is on the agenda for Secret Circle, beaten a half-length in BC Sprint. As the winner of last year's BC Sprint, Secret Circle is running for the winner's share of $1 million. Baffert has won this race three times, twice with Congaree and once with El Corredor.

Vyjack: Returned to old form with one-length victory in G2 Kelso Handicap at Belmont on Sept. 27. Is 3 for 4 at Aqueduct, with only loss coming in 2013 Wood Memorial where he was beaten one length.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Del Mar

That's one heck of a group and hope it stays together. Huge Thanksgiving weekend in store.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Gulfstream Park

Smile

love this race, always a great betting race, caught last years exacta...Flat out/Private Zone, paid over 500.00
Old 11-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Goodwood

Was hoping SB would be entered to try to solidify a claim for champion 3yo.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Was hoping SB would be entered to try to solidify a claim for champion 3yo.
He has no claim on Champion 3YO. He had the 4th best year of any 3YO. Tonalist bests him with wins in the Belmont Stakes and Jockey Club.

He might run in the Malibu. That would give him a reasonable argument with Tonalist....and none whatsoever with either CA Chrome or Bayern.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
He has no claim on Champion 3YO. He had the 4th best year of any 3YO. Tonalist bests him with wins in the Belmont Stakes and Jockey Club.

He might run in the Malibu. That would give him a reasonable argument with Tonalist....and none whatsoever with either CA Chrome or Bayern.
The platitudes and hyperbole not withstanding - are you actually making the case that Tonalist's chances are on par with Bayern or Cal Chrome?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
The platitudes and hyperbole not withstanding - are you actually making the case that Tonalist's chances are on par with Bayern or Cal Chrome?
Not at all...just that he is ahead of Shared Belief. The other two are ahead of the field by a significant amount.

To me, Bayern is the most satisfying Horse of the Year in more than a few years. I get why Wise Dan got it, I just think we would have been better served with no winner the past two years, same with Havre de Grace, I obviously didn't agree with Zenyatta, but as much as I think Blame "deserved" it, he was hardly a spectacular winner. I guess Rachel was the last truly deserving winner.

Bayern ran the entire year, at eight different track, and racked up an impressive array of victories, including in my opinion the performance of the year in the Woody Stephens. I love horses like him. All sorts of distances, at all the big tracks, and he rebounded from resounding losses on two big occasions. Maybe if we reward horses like him, people will stop worrying about losing, and run their horses.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Not at all...just that he is ahead of Shared Belief. The other two are ahead of the field by a significant amount.

To me, Bayern is the most satisfying Horse of the Year in more than a few years. I get why Wise Dan got it, I just think we would have been better served with no winner the past two years, same with Havre de Grace, I obviously didn't agree with Zenyatta, but as much as I think Blame "deserved" it, he was hardly a spectacular winner. I guess Rachel was the last truly deserving winner.

Bayern ran the entire year, at eight different track, and racked up an impressive array of victories, including in my opinion the performance of the year in the Woody Stephens. I love horses like him. All sorts of distances, at all the big tracks, and he rebounded from resounding losses on two big occasions. Maybe if we reward horses like him, people will stop worrying about losing, and run their horses.
Well said! Tomorrow, I'm headed to Vinton for Delta Downs Jackpot card. Several 'campaigners' entered here. 2YOs with 6 starts! Horses from Cali, Florida, NY, Kentucky & beyond. Always fun days at races.

Like Andy said people are here 'to run their horses'. And I don't care if it rains!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Hollywood Park

Tweet from @DRFWelsch -
Quote:
Atreides out of Cigar Mile, trainer Marty Wolfson said he could not line up a top level rider for the race. Says Hal's Hope next major goal.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Havre de Grace

Congrats to Marty Wolfson, who found a more ridiculous excuse than the bogus one he used to skip the Kelso.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Congrats to Marty Wolfson, who found a more ridiculous excuse than the bogus one he used to skip the Kelso.
That really was special brew of KAKA
Old 11-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
Tweet from @DRFWelsch -

Thats fng awesome.

Racing.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:05 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
Tweet from @DRFWelsch -

The 9th best rider in the world cannot hold the jock strap of #8!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Churchill Downs

Perhaps Steve could schedule an interview with Barbara Banke and get to the bottom of this.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
Perhaps Steve could schedule an interview with Barbara Banke and get to the bottom of this.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Steve Byk

O/N: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...-AQU-20141129D
Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Steve Byk

4th (1:24) Comely S. (G3)

1 1/8 Miles | Fillies | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 Shayjolie Ortiz J L 114 L
2 Penwith Rosario J 114 L
3 Snowbell Saez L 114 L
4 Dame Dorothy Castellano J J 122 L
5 House Rules Lezcano J 114 L
6 Princess Violet Franco M 118 L
7 Catch My Drift Velazquez J R 114 L
8 Divided Attention Ortiz I Jr 114 L
9 Flipcup Velasquez C 118 L

A-Coupled: Penwith and Snowbell and Divided Attention

8th (3:19) Demoiselle S. (G2)

1 1/8 Miles | Fillies | 2 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 My Cara Mia Saez L 115 L
2 Calamity Kate Lopez P 115 L
3 Quezon Franco M 119 FTL
4 Save Rock and Roll Velasquez C 115 L
5 Gap Year Ortiz I Jr 115 L
6 Condo Commando Rosario J 121 L
7 Angela Renee Velazquez J R 121 L
8 Jacaranda Ortiz J L 121 L

9th (3:48) Remsen S. (G2)

1 1/8 Miles | Open | 2 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 Flashaway Velasquez C 116 L
2 Combat Diver Rose J 116 L
3 Moonlight Bandit Velasquez C 116 L
4 Bodhisattva Acosta J D 116 L
5 Thirtysevenliveson Lopez P 116 L
6 Royal Burgh Lezcano J 116 L
7 Eh Cumpari Franco M 116 L
8 Leave the Light On Ortiz J L 120 L
9 Keen Ice Lanerie C J 116 L
10 The Truth Or Else Saez L 116
11 Classy Class Castellano J J 116 L
12 Ostrolenka Velazquez J R 120 L
13 Market Conduct Rosario J 120 L
14 Frosted Ortiz I Jr 116 FTL

A-Coupled: Flashaway and Moonlight Bandit
B-Coupled: Leave the Light On and Market Conduct

10th (4:17) Cigar Mile H. (G1)

1 Mile | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $500,000

1 Private Zone Pedroza M A 122 L
2 Itsmyluckyday Lopez P 122 L
3 Noble Moon Ortiz J L 114 L
4 Vyjack Ortiz I Jr 118 L
5 Transparent Castellano J J 114 L
6 Secret Circle Rosario J 122 L
7 Big Business Velasquez C 116 L
8 Regally Ready Velazquez J R 117 L
9 Bourbon Courage Lezcano J 117 L
Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

That Remsen is gonna be total chaos, especially with (IMO) the best horse stuck in the 14-hole.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Gulfstream Park

I'm biased as I invested in him, but given the way the track has played Keen Ice just ran huge. Didn't even realize it wasn't Lanerie riding either. Keep an eye on him in the future.