Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2021, 04:07 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Covid Shots

You guys get your covid shots yet? Looks like they are starting to give them here next week, but only about 3 or 4 pharmacies here in Hot Springs giving the shot. I signed up for a couple of pharmacies here and one in a neighboring town. That one had a waiting list of 360+. Daughter wants me to go to Little Rock to get the shot at a University of Arkansas Clinic. I am thinking that one may have thousands of people waiting for the shot. Wonder what the chances are of getting covid while you wait in line to get the covid shot?

Daughter pushing me to get the shot because my granddaughter has been chosen homecoming maid at her school and I "need to be there" for homecoming. A grandparent's job is never done. Have to say, as a bragging grandparent, she is a lovely girl and has a 4 point grade average. I told my daughter my granddaughter does not seem to be related to me with all those smarts. Sadly, my daughter did not argue.

Last edited by cal828 : 01-15-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:22 PM
Oriental Park

Patty and I are both signed up for our county and local city health care services department. Got a confirmation back as such and said we will get in touch with as soon as we have availability to provide for the 1B group. We are both well over 65 and she has underlying health conditions as well.

So it's a waiting game for us.

Dallas County is behind the 8 ball with getting vaccine in our arms as is Texas in general. Maybe our new President and Vice president can light a fire under our predominant GOP leadership, Gov Abbott and Ted "Big Mouth" Cruz butts. I'd go on but will refrain from political statements here.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:33 PM
Havre de Grace

I totally understand about the political part. I've been going on facebook a bit lately. I want to say something sometimes, but you can cut the vitriol with a knife so I restrain myself so as not to become part of the problem. I told my financial advisor in a conversation right after the election that I feared that there might be violence and I thought to myself at the time, that he probably thought that I was crazy and I even thought that maybe I was being a little over the top, but turns out I was all too right. Just hope that people realize that violence should not be the way of America. It's the way of Damascus and Kabul.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:11 PM
Oriental Park

My wife and I are both eligible for the current phase and are waiting for the procedures to sign up for an appointment to be clarified. There is still much work to be done to fine tune the distribution process and to communicate the procedures to those who qualify. A doctor I spoke with earlier this week told me that "we are trying to fly the plane while we are still building it."

Even though the process will be by appointment only, it is not clear how the safety protocols will work when the shot is administered. We hope to enroll at a site where we feel that we will both be as safe as can be expected.

Fortunately the state leadership is doing everything it can to make the process work, so I'm very hopeful.

Cal, I hope that you are able to attend your granddaughter's function. Those are the perks for all of the hard work.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:41 PM
Sunshine Park

My wife is a health care worker here in Canada, she got the Pfizer vaccine Jan 5th. No issues, with it. No soreness in the arm, like when she gets the regular flu shot. Have a friend in California, who is also a health care worker. He has taken the Moderna version, and he says the same thing. He is also waiting for the booster. Here in Canada, the roll out has been slower, because of lack of supply. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Oriental Park

The process for enrollment here in CT has improved every day. Both my wife and I have an appointment this Friday for the first shot at a location in our town. Life is good.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:45 AM
Havre de Grace

Mine is today in about 2 hours. Was afraid it might be cancelled because of what I was reading about shortages of the vaccine, but it wasn't. Still not in time for me to go to granddaughters homecoming event which is tomorrow night. As I understand it, vaccine takes a couple of weeks to work.

Friend of mine from New Jersey said that smokers were moved up ahead of others. He was not happy.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:33 PM
Oriental Park

Good news for Patty, she learned of her appointment tomorrow between 9:00-11:00. It's a drive through set up (stay in your car) at a local HS Football stadium parking lot. You'd think they'd have mine set for the same time since we are both 1B and have the same address and registered on the same day but I'm expecting too much logic here in Texas. I'm sure mine will be coming along soon.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:33 PM
Havre de Grace

Got mine today. Got the Moderna version. So far so good. If I didn't have a band-aid on my arm, I wouldn't even know where I got it. Round two in a few weeks.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:38 PM
Longchamps

Glad to see you are all getting this. Stay safe
Old 01-27-2021, 07:02 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
Mine is today in about 2 hours. Was afraid it might be cancelled because of what I was reading about shortages of the vaccine, but it wasn't. Still not in time for me to go to granddaughters homecoming event which is tomorrow night. As I understand it, vaccine takes a couple of weeks to work.

Friend of mine from New Jersey said that smokers were moved up ahead of others. He was not happy.
Can't you attend with a mask and keep your distance? She'll know you're there or if you can't, she'll know you wanted to be there. Be safe but have fun too.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:03 PM
Hawthorne

Interesting stuff in this thread and I thank Cal for starting it.

Here's my story. First, I "pre-registered" with the State of NJ. At first I thought that was a worthless effort but then I finally was able to make a vaccination appointment through my local hospital. (I have a "My Chart" online account with this hospital and unsolicited they sent me an email with a link to a webpage where I could make an appointment to be vaccinated. The first date available was April 11th so I grabbed it.)

About a week later I get a call from my older brother. A lady who works for him was able to sign-up everyone in his office (12 people) and his wife on February 4th at a NJ State Megasite (a ShopRite Supermarket). So I call the same place but I'm too late - no vaccination appointments are available. I spoke to the woman who made the appointments for my brother's office later on - it took her 137 tries before she got through on the phone and was able to make appointments for everyone.

Anyway, I may have gotten a break. My brother's daughter was looking online last Friday night when she found out the Philadelphia Veterans Hospital had vaccine appointments available the next morning for veterans. She signed up my brother and he got his first shot (of 2) on Saturday morning.

So now he is giving me his appointment set for February 4th at the ShopRite Supermarket. I am going with my sister-in-law and have no idea if my brother's appointment is transferable. But I do qualify to be vaccinated in NJ because I am over 65.

One thing is for sure. I won't cancel my April 11th flu shot appointment until I am fully vaccinated.

And one thing I will say and if it's political, I don't care. What the heck were our government officials doing for the last year besides preparing for a smooth rollout of a vaccine? I mean there are only so many times you can say wear a mask or stay 6 feet away.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Can't you attend with a mask and keep your distance? She'll know you're there or if you can't, she'll know you wanted to be there. Be safe but have fun too.
Maybe. I may go. I think they're having it inside a gymnasium and it may be restricted to just families so not that many people there in a pretty big space.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Golden Gate

I'm way down on the list, I think. My son, who works in a hospital and my son-in-law who is a first responder have had both doses. The first dose was fine, both had fever of 102-103, body aches and headaches with the second dose....for about 12-24 hours. My Mom and her husband have had their 1st dose in NC. I hear the US has ordered 200 million more doses with more orders to come. We'll get there.

I heard also that you should wear two masks if you have to be amongst a large group of people. I'm just trying to limit my trips out to the grocery store as much as possible.

Take care and stay healthy.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:08 AM
The Curragh

I am in New Jersey also and received my first shot on Tuesday. Almost impossible to book an appointment but due to a projected snowstorm that never materialized I was in the right place at the right time and got in due to cancellations. Don't know any other systems but the one I was at was awesome. The appt. was about 45 minutes start to finish. Since I had a 6 pm appointment technically I was in and out in 27 minutes. No long lines and no congestion. It might not be the norm but it can be done so it should be. And two days later no real side effects.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:23 PM
Oriental Park

Our experience this morning for Patty's vaccine was flawless, not one hiccup and it tool only about 20 mins with a drive through plan at a local HS parking lot. Except I picked up a voice mail around 5:30 saying I missed my appointment time and I can still get vaccinated if I get there by 3:00. Heh, heh, heh. Very surprised, since I never got an email appointment like Patty did. And I've gone back days to check, spam, junk mail, etc but nothing like her email. Guess this is my fault for not checking my VM's every 10-15 minutes. HELK yea, I'm retired, I have nothing else to do!!!

I was a little miffed, he was a volunteer and couldn't give me any real advice except call the City Health Dept and see what they can do, so I'm not sure what my options are but you can be sure I will find out what the HELK happened. Logical to schedule me the same time and I asked the first checker inner that. There was three other check points before the shot, hmmm, a slight fail. Ya think they would have asked me for ID, age, birth date, address, etc, etc. just to check on their fancy iPad. Nope!!!
Old 01-29-2021, 05:20 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

I live in NJ, I am a smoker for 70 years and not sure if I want the vacination. Been doing alright, virus can't penatrate all the tar and nicotine I have built up in my lungs. So I will give it deep thought about the vacine.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:28 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Quiet View Post
I am in New Jersey also and received my first shot on Tuesday. Almost impossible to book an appointment but due to a projected snowstorm that never materialized I was in the right place at the right time and got in due to cancellations. Don't know any other systems but the one I was at was awesome. The appt. was about 45 minutes start to finish. Since I had a 6 pm appointment technically I was in and out in 27 minutes. No long lines and no congestion. It might not be the norm but it can be done so it should be. And two days later no real side effects.
RQ, I've got a question for you and any of you guys that live in NJ. I have a friend that lives in Manchester, NJ in Ocean County. I told him about you getting in because of cancellations. He said he called some clinics, but can't even get a person on the phone. At what clinic did you get your shot RQ? Anybody else have any recommendations for him?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:14 PM
The Curragh

I received my shot at Kean University in Union, NJ. I registered on multiple site with no replies of availability. As soon as any sites received the vaccine, the internet connections were overwhelmed. Last Tuesday a snow storm was forecast. I'm guessing that people that were lucky enough to score an appointment didn't want to venture out and if you were one of those people with appointments you were allowed to reschedule. My only advice would be to get on the internet on Monday or Tuesday when the next snow is expected and hope for the best. In NJ it's hit or miss and it's going to be a long haul until a majority of the populace gets vaccinated.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:15 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Cal828, I have a number for people in NJ, 855-568-0545- that will put you in the right place to register. Hope it is helpful.