Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Aqueduct

Default BC Juvy Question

Guys I got a question maybe some of u can help me with,I don't usually follow 2yr olds due to fact most either get hurt,sent to Dubai or just dont run as good by the time the Triple Crown starts

My question is what are the running styles of some of the horses goin in the Juvy? Who are the speed/front runners horses?stalkers?closers?

Any info would be great
Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Oaklawn

Plenty of pace...
Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Del Mar

I expect Jaycito to come off the pace, but I don't usually handicap races that are two weeks away, only RHT 85 is successful doing that.

I agree with Travis, it looks like pace aplenty.

Last edited by Bogey : 10-23-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Aqueduct

Not looking for a handicap just was curious about there running styles. I havent really been paying attention to 2yr olds so was wondering
Old 10-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
Not looking for a handicap just was curious about there running styles. I havent really been paying attention to 2yr olds so was wondering
You can always watch prior replays of some of the contenders.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Havre de Grace

Some of the definites:

Boys at Tosconova has shown the ability to run from off the pace. The mitigating factor, of course, is that he's done that at 5fs and 7fs. Presumably, the stretchout for a fresh horse would lead you to believe he's going to have a bit of speed.

Uncle Mo has been on the lead in both of his starts, the first of which came on a speed-favoring track, the 2nd of which came against a band of slugs as the 2nd place finisher was a perfect trip debut winner against maiden claimers. Granted, he was a Dutrow claim out of that race off of the then winless at Saratoga Nick Zito. Zito is currently 2 for his last 75 in NY going back to opening day at Saratoga.

Stay Thirsty broke his maiden wire-to-wire and made the lead in the Hopeful but had no resistance when confronted by Boys at Tosconova. Whether he's going to be ridden a certain way off of the freshening and with his stablemate in the race remain to be seen. If you are against Boys at Tosconova because of the layoff and stretchout then you have to completely dismiss this guy.

J P's Gusto is a speed horse who excelled around one turn but then couldn't finish when they attempted to slow him down a bit going two turns in the Norfolk. His chances to wire this field look very bleak.

Jaycito is a legitimate late runner who came from well back to grab the 2nd spot in the Dmr Futurity before winning the Norfolk with a wide trip under Mike "ground saving be damned" Smith.

Of the horses who are "under consideration" Astrology will be making his 2nd start around two turns after breaking his maiden at Saratoga on closing weekend. He is not flashy and his win over To Honor and Serve (when THS had a tougher trip at first asking) was very workmanlike. He might be OK down the line but his damside pedigree was geared more towards precocity and he seems like kind of a slug.

Madman Diaries has not gone beyond 6 furlongs for Wesley Ward and will come in off a 62 day layoff. He could be one of the worst supplements to a BC race ever.

Blue Laser won the Grey if I remember correctly from just off the pace.

J B's Thunder has gone wire-to-wire in each of his first two starts, a MSW on the turf at Saratoga and the BReeders' Futurity at Keeneland. He does not have Uncle Mo's type of speed and would have to be put to an all out drive in order to get near him early.

I'll have to dig up some PPs of the rest but this is a start.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Zito is currently 2 for his last 75 in NY going back to opening day at Saratoga.
And hasn't been able to school Fly Down to change leads since the Belmont. Looks like Nick is putting in some overtime at the barn.

It's one thing (laughable though it may be) for Pletcher to be drilling QR 5F in order to get some distance training in him for the 10F. Quite another to not send send your horse around a turn under pressure every so often, so it doesn't get into bad habits. Shortage of whips in the barn, Nick?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Del Mar

I think it's very difficult to judge the pace scenario in a race like this. Of course the better horses are going to be on or near the pace in maiden races because they're just better and ready to run. I'd focus more on the pace figs. . .
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Aqueduct

Thanks for all the info guys.Wasnt sure I was gonna play the Juvy but since it seems only like 6 horses wanna run I thought I would just ask to see what they are all about.

Gotta love when a Grade 3(Delta Jackpot) is everyones 2 yr old's big race
Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Tropical Park

J. B.'s Thunder may be headed for the Delta Jackpot instead of the BC. Trainer said he'll pre-enter to have the option.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Some of the definites:

Boys at Tosconova has shown the ability to run from off the pace. The mitigating factor, of course, is that he's done that at 5fs and 7fs. Presumably, the stretchout for a fresh horse would lead you to believe he's going to have a bit of speed.

Uncle Mo has been on the lead in both of his starts, the first of which came on a speed-favoring track, the 2nd of which came against a band of slugs as the 2nd place finisher was a perfect trip debut winner against maiden claimers. Granted, he was a Dutrow claim out of that race off of the then winless at Saratoga Nick Zito. Zito is currently 2 for his last 75 in NY going back to opening day at Saratoga.

Stay Thirsty broke his maiden wire-to-wire and made the lead in the Hopeful but had no resistance when confronted by Boys at Tosconova. Whether he's going to be ridden a certain way off of the freshening and with his stablemate in the race remain to be seen. If you are against Boys at Tosconova because of the layoff and stretchout then you have to completely dismiss this guy.

J P's Gusto is a speed horse who excelled around one turn but then couldn't finish when they attempted to slow him down a bit going two turns in the Norfolk. His chances to wire this field look very bleak.

Jaycito is a legitimate late runner who came from well back to grab the 2nd spot in the Dmr Futurity before winning the Norfolk with a wide trip under Mike "ground saving be damned" Smith.

Of the horses who are "under consideration" Astrology will be making his 2nd start around two turns after breaking his maiden at Saratoga on closing weekend. He is not flashy and his win over To Honor and Serve (when THS had a tougher trip at first asking) was very workmanlike. He might be OK down the line but his damside pedigree was geared more towards precocity and he seems like kind of a slug.

Madman Diaries has not gone beyond 6 furlongs for Wesley Ward and will come in off a 62 day layoff. He could be one of the worst supplements to a BC race ever.

Blue Laser won the Grey if I remember correctly from just off the pace.

J B's Thunder has gone wire-to-wire in each of his first two starts, a MSW on the turf at Saratoga and the BReeders' Futurity at Keeneland. He does not have Uncle Mo's type of speed and would have to be put to an all out drive in order to get near him early.

I'll have to dig up some PPs of the rest but this is a start.
Good stuff NT thanks for taking the time.