Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Dee Tee Stables

but didn't obama promise to get us out of the wars, to close gitmo, to get rid of dadt? maybe that's why they're mad, none of that has happened.

i expect dadt is just a matter of time, but i think he could have made a clean cut with that.
i believe panetta is in iraq, trying to get permission to keep troops in iraq.
gitmo-not going to happen. the house military appropriations bill would indicate there are no changes imminent in afganistan/iraq.

i can see why some folks would be sore.

as for spending, the budgets for most, if not all agencies increased when obama took office. so much for cutting spending. the commission he formed to find ways to cut costs-ignored.

a lot of talk-not much action.

at any rate, i'm not happy with the lot of them. i don't like the fact that the reps are doing what they can to keep obama from being re-elected, rather than doing what's right. i don't like the far righters trying to impose their religious zeal on others. i really don't like that the real problems we're facing are being ignored for the sake of politics. it's a disgrace.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
... a lot of talk-not much action.
No new President can do everything all at once by snapping one's fingers. He's certainly not the first president to have campaign promises come up against reality. Especially when the opposition party leader stated publicly that their legislative goal is to prevent this president's re-election. And their actions are proving it.

He tried to close Guantanamo, but he had to do something with the prisoners, and states refused to take them. Turning them loose wasn't an option. What is he supposed to do there?

Iraq - he drew down 100,000 troops this past year. We should be out end of year (consider that we are still in Japan, Germany, etc) Yes, Iraq may ask for 10,000 to stay, we don't know what will happen with that yet. Afghanistan - he promised to put the focus of troops in there, increase them, and he did. And he got Osama bin Laden. Now he's drawing down there, too.

Obama has kept far more promises than he's broken (see PolitFact) and has quite a noteable bit of accomplishment to his name. Obama's nowhere near close to "failure". That's absurd. He has one of the most accomplished (as far as legislative successes) modern Presidencies. Against one of the most dedicated political obstructionist opposition parties.

Quote:
at any rate, i'm not happy with the lot of them. i don't like the fact that the reps are doing what they can to keep obama from being re-elected, rather than doing what's right. i don't like the far righters trying to impose their religious zeal on others. i really don't like that the real problems we're facing are being ignored for the sake of politics. it's a disgrace
I agree with that part completely.

EAT YOUR DAMN PEAS!

"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Santa Anita

OK, De-fund ObamaCare and put that in the ashbin, even before it is formally found unconstitutional once and for all. That will save a ton of money.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
OK, De-fund ObamaCare and put that in the ashbin, even before it is formally found unconstitutional once and for all. That will save a ton of money.
Repealing "Obamacare" will cost us billions in future savings, according to the CBO.

And the first high level federal court to look at it just deemed it constitutional, with the majority opinion written by a conservative judge who clerked under Scalia.

Sorry.

Why do you want your newly-found consumer protections from insurance companies taking advantage of you repealed? Seems a rather stupid choice to me, that you are voting for going back to kicking young kids with cancer off their policies.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Santa Anita

Bull. That's creative accounting. I don't want the government in charge of my health care. I'll take my chances with an independent corporation that has to compete with other independent corporations.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Bull. That's creative accounting.
Really? Show us how your figures differ from the independent CBO, whose job it is to be far more accurate than people on internet boards.

In fact, the savings are so real, that even Ryan's GOP Budget keeps the savings from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Quote:
I don't want the government in charge of my health care.
Guess what? The government is not in charge of your health care. There is nothing in "Obamacare" that puts the government in charge of your health care.

Quote:
I'll take my chances with an independent corporation that has to compete with other independent corporations.
Then you should love how "Obamacare" institutes competitive insurance exchanges, where you can shop for competitive pricing on your private company policy.

I am sick of the completely clueless trying to comment on issues of the day. Poll tax.

Last edited by Riot : 07-13-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Keeneland

Default McConnell goes all in on politics over debt ceiling help

And this morning we have Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, getting pummeled by his party for capitulating completely and being willing to give up Legislative branch control of debt to a President, publicly revealed that his deficit fix strategy is not to help the country, but to defeat President Obama.

This loser needs to be defeated in a bad way.

Quote:
Sam Stein stein@huffingtonpost.com
McConnell Debt Ceiling Strategy: 'I Refuse To Help Obama Reelection'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_897124.html
With audio from his talk with Laura Ingram today.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
And this morning we have Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, getting pummeled by his party for capitulating completely and being willing to give up Legislative branch control of debt to a President, publicly revealed that his deficit fix strategy is not to help the country, but to defeat President Obama.

You know,Dahling....you need a night in bed with Honula.

That would straighten out yo behind.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
No new President can do everything all at once by snapping one's fingers. He's certainly not the first president to have campaign promises come up against reality. Especially when the opposition party leader stated publicly that their legislative goal is to prevent this president's re-election. And their actions are proving it.

He tried to close Guantanamo, but he had to do something with the prisoners, and states refused to take them. Turning them loose wasn't an option. What is he supposed to do there?

Iraq - he drew down 100,000 troops this past year. We should be out end of year (consider that we are still in Japan, Germany, etc) Yes, Iraq may ask for 10,000 to stay, we don't know what will happen with that yet. Afghanistan - he promised to put the focus of troops in there, increase them, and he did. And he got Osama bin Laden. Now he's drawing down there, too.

Obama has kept far more promises than he's broken (see PolitFact) and has quite a noteable bit of accomplishment to his name. Obama's nowhere near close to "failure". That's absurd. He has one of the most accomplished (as far as legislative successes) modern Presidencies. Against one of the most dedicated political obstructionist opposition parties.

I agree with that part completely.

EAT YOUR DAMN PEAS!

i would say that the big ones all seemed to slip thru his fingers. afganistan became our longest war, what, a year or so ago? no progress in sight. the mil. appropriations bill the house passed-9 billion CHEAPER than what obama asked for. doesn't sound to me that our govt is gearing stuff down-not when the proposed spending is over 2.5% higher than '11.
obama is doing what he's doing based on wanting re-elected-which is what he said he wasn't worried about. i'd imagine the dem party straightened him out on that score.
it's all politics, and we're at their mercy.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
i would say that the big ones all seemed to slip thru his fingers. afganistan became our longest war, what, a year or so ago? no progress in sight. the mil. appropriations bill the house passed-9 billion CHEAPER than what obama asked for. doesn't sound to me that our govt is gearing stuff down-not when the proposed spending is over 2.5% higher than '11.
obama is doing what he's doing based on wanting re-elected-which is what he said he wasn't worried about. i'd imagine the dem party straightened him out on that score.
it's all politics, and we're at their mercy.
I call "the big ones" healthcare insurance reform, stopping the waste of lives in Iraq, stopping threats from al Quaeda, and keeping us out of depression. Pretty damn good score there.

I would imagine the Dem party, judging by what they've said this past week or two, would like much more "control" than they have over Obama now.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I call "the big ones" healthcare insurance reform, stopping the waste of lives in Iraq, stopping threats from al Quaeda, and keeping us out of depression. Pretty damn good score there.

I would imagine the Dem party, judging by what they've said this past week or two, would like much more "control" than they have over Obama now.
that's the thing, other than healthcare (which didn't mean a thing to me) we're still facing all that other stuff. 3 wars, if you count libya, higher spending, bad unemployment, etc, etc.
are we better off since obama took office? i don't think so. are we worse? i don't think so.
treading water is no success story.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

eight years of bush got us where we are now; why would mcconnell think they've got much of a chance anyway?
his suggestion of giving control on the debt ceiling to obama is a pathetic joke, much like many republican ideas these days.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.slate.com/id/2299128/

Take Me to Your Leader
The debt-limit talks show Washington's rhetoric to be even more empty than usual.
By John Dickerson
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2011, at 6:44 PM ET

In the spirit of reducing waste, fraud and abuse in Washington, I suggest a drastic cut in the number of words used by any leader in Washington calling on any other leader in Washington to show leadership. Instead of endless vague generalities, they should just say: Give me what I want.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Keeneland

with talk of yet another stimulus the last thing this President needs is a higher debt limit. Maybe the raising of the debt limit and by how much should be a monthly decision until we get it under control and Obama gets control of his habit?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
with talk of yet another stimulus the last thing this President needs is a higher debt limit. Maybe the raising of the debt limit and by how much should be a monthly decision until we get it under control and Obama gets control of his habit?
yeah, absolutely no doubt that moody's would keep us with our current credit rating if we did what you're suggesting.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Santa Anita

The bad news is you owe more to the credit card company than you will ever be able to repay, and your children, and your children's children for as many generations as it will take are on the hook for the bill.

The good news is you have a AAA credit rating!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The bad news is you owe more to the credit card company than you will ever be able to repay, and your children, and your children's children for as many generations as it will take are on the hook for the bill.

The good news is you have a AAA credit rating!
We don't owe more than we can repay. In fact, if we do nothing at all, just let the Bush tax cuts expire, the deficit is mostly gone in 10 years or so.

The Republican Paul Ryan budget just passed in the House necessitates the debt ceiling to be raised twice in five years. The GOP knows how budgets and cash flow and Treasury bonds work.

Why people keep confusing paying our past bills, and what the debt ceiling is, with future spending is beyond me. Unreconcilable stupidity, I guess.

Not raising the debt ceiling only does one thing. It prevents us from using cash flow to pay the bills we already owe. Money we already spent. It causes default.

The debt ceiling has nothing to do with limiting future spending.

The idiots in the Tea Party congress that think otherwise and are blocking this routine, one-sentence accounting housework are threatening to bring this country down, and need their term limit to kick in with the 2012 election. They are not intelligent enough to govern. They have a disconnect from reality. They are dangerous for this country.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
1) This country is in a stagnant recession with stagnant unemployment, and needs a massive jobs bill.

2) Economics 101: You do not cut spending, stop money flow, in a recession.

3) The debt ceiling raise is to continue paying bills we already owe, and has nothing to do with any future spending.

4) The House initiates spending. The President of the United States does not have the money. Congress does.

5) You apparently need an "America 101" course to figure out how this country works, as you clearly don't know.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
eight years of bush got us where we are now; why would mcconnell think they've got much of a chance anyway?
his suggestion of giving control on the debt ceiling to obama is a pathetic joke, much like many republican ideas these days.
McConnell stated clearly his goal: he wants politics put first, and that's why he wants to do this, to provide political cover to the GOP.

I think the end of this, middle of next week, will the routine one-sentence clean debt ceiling bill they always pass. What should have happened weeks ago.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
McConnell stated clearly his goal: he wants politics put first, and that's why he wants to do this, to provide political cover to the GOP.

I think the end of this, middle of next week, will the routine one-sentence clean debt ceiling bill they always pass. What should have happened weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RrQ4FWjijI