Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
He sure can still be one term. I think his gay marriage rights view is just another tell that he's not as progressive as many thought.

I would hope to think Obama isn't happy with any delay, but I've seen zero public pressure. If it's needed, it has to be done.

I can't find any current status on the certification. From Wiki:
the airman who was cited in the article i posted-he was just discharged at the beginning of this month. so, even if certification occurred tomorrow, they could still actually kick people out based on their sexuality. when is a change not a change? the process could take years.
this issue isn't one that would garner obama any more votes than he has already-there's nothing in it for him to push it.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43660098/ns/us_news-life/

Appeals court orders immediate halt to gay military ban
Ruling comes after Obama administration says 'don't ask, don't tell' policy is unconstitutional

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court ordered the U.S. government on Wednesday to immediately cease enforcing the ban on openly gay members of the military, a move that could speed the repeal of the 17-year-old rule.

..A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said the "don't ask, don't tell" policy must be lifted now that the Obama administration has concluded it's unconstitutional to treat gay Americans differently under the law. The appeals court noted that Congress repealed the policy in December and that the Pentagon is preparing to certify that it is ready to welcome gay military personnel.

...well, that's good news. i figured this would end up being handled by the courts. no politician has the balls to stand up for equal rights. god forbid that the religious right get their panties in a wad and perhaps vote against a politician.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Santa Anita

Obama/Romney is gonna be the ultimate comedy show. They are clones who will spend a fortune trying to appear different and the voters will just eat it up like starved hyenas with all the major TV players shoving it on them with the same talking head raving lunatics. They are the epitome of modern politicians at the national level. I think our true masters still prefer O as our fake D's can ultimately do more of what they want than our fake R's in the theater.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

on another, more important note:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...by-the-numbers

some excerpts, but i recommend reading it all..

The debt debate, by the numbers

With congressional leaders at the White House on Thursday for another debt limit parley with President Obama, here are some basic numbers to keep the debate in perspective:

As of the end of the day Tuesday, the Treasury had a cash balance of $78 billion.

Last year at about the same point, Tuesday, July 6, 2010, it had a cash balance of $224 billion and a year earlier on July 6, 2009 it had a cash balance of $257 billion.

and:

There were reports Thursday that Obama would seek deficit reductions of $4 trillion. That was the approximate number recommended by the Bowles-Simpson fiscal commission which the president appointed early last year.

According to the Congressional Budget Office’s baseline projection, the cumulative deficits over the next ten years will be more than $6.7 trillion -- so a reduction of $4 trillion in future deficits would amount to nearly a 60 percent cut over that ten-year period.

and it ends as such:

According to the CBO estimate released last March, the government will collect $2.23 trillion in revenue in the current fiscal year – 13 percent less than in 2007.

This year federal spending will amount to about 24 percent of gross domestic product while revenues will be 14.8 percent of GDP.

When Obama said to his Wednesday Twitter town hall audience, “We actually now have the lowest tax rates since the 1950s,” he was incorrect.

Today’s highest personal income tax rate, 35 percent, exceeds the top rate in 1992: 31 percent.

But he would have been correct to say that revenues as a percentage of GDP are the lowest since 1950, when they were 14.4 percent of GDP.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Dee Tee Stables

let the games continue:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43775684/ns/us_news/

Court: 'don't ask, don't tell' will stay in place

By SHAYA TAYEFE MOHAJER
The Associated Press
updated 2 hours 28 minutes ago 2011-07-16T12:24:21
LOS ANGELES — The military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy is back in place for the time being, with one major caveat: the government is not allowed to investigate, penalize or discharge anyone who is openly gay.

A San Francisco federal appeals court ordered the military to temporarily continue the controversial policy in an order late Friday, the court's response to a request from the Obama administration.

The order is the latest twist in the legal limbo gay service members have found themselves in as the policy is fought in the courts simultaneous to its slow dismantling by the federal government, which expects to do away with it by later this year.

The ruling was supported by Servicemembers United, an organization of gay and lesbian troops and veterans, but the group's executive director Alexander Nicholson voiced frustration over the slow process of dismantling "don't ask, don't tell."

"The situation with finally ending this outdated and discriminatory federal policy has become absolutely ridiculous," said Nicholson. "It is simply not right to put the men and women of our armed forces through this circus any longer."
Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
"The situation with finally ending this outdated and discriminatory federal policy has become absolutely ridiculous," said Nicholson. "It is simply not right to put the men and women of our armed forces through this circus any longer."
I know, do you believe this? I know they are trying to not allow the courts to force an immediate end, while the military "prepares", but I thought the army, etc. had all "completed their training" for the most part, and were ready to go.

And practically speaking, for god's sakes, these guys and ladies are already there, working with their fellow soldiers. Remove the onus of fear from them, already!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts