Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 39,630
Default 8/19 (DMR): Pacific Classic, DMR Oaks (G1's), DMR Handicap (G2)

1 ROYAL ALBERT HALL-GB (Corey Nakatani) 30-1
2 COLLECTED (Martin Garcia) 5/2
3 ACCELERATE (Victor Espinoza) 3-1
4 SORRY ERIK (Kent Desormeaux) 30-1
5 HARD ACES (Santiago Gonzalez) 20-1
6 DONWORTH (Mario Gutierrez) 15-1
7 CURLIN ROAD (Flavien Prat) 20-1
8 ARROGATE (Mike Smith) 1-1



__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans

Last edited by Kasept : 08-16-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:59 AM
10 pnt move up's Avatar
10 pnt move up 10 pnt move up is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default

Has there ever been a horse with his talent, who really had no excuse, run as poorly as he did and then rebound?
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"...Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 PM
RolloTomasi's Avatar
RolloTomasi RolloTomasi is offline
Santa Anita
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Has there ever been a horse with his talent, who really had no excuse, run as poorly as he did and then rebound?
Not without at least a brief layoff in between. However, was there really no excuse?

It's an interesting quandary for the connections. It's an easy and perhaps plausible excuse that the horse detested the surface. This is supported by the relatively poor performance of Baffert runners in subsequent weeks. Until Sunday, and the efforts of Soul Streit and Irish Freedom, I thought it was a certainty that Arrogate would opt for the Woodward. That's actually still on the table if Baffert is simply trying to clear the table for Collected. Or he's simply figured out how to adjust his training to the surface and his confidence is restored.

At the same time, the BC Classic will be run at Del Mar this year, so if the connections don't want to deal with lingering surface questions all through the fall, they'll probably run here to get to the bottom of it all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:52 PM
10 pnt move up's Avatar
10 pnt move up 10 pnt move up is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Not without at least a brief layoff in between. However, was there really no excuse?

It's an interesting quandary for the connections. It's an easy and perhaps plausible excuse that the horse detested the surface. This is supported by the relatively poor performance of Baffert runners in subsequent weeks. Until Sunday, and the efforts of Soul Streit and Irish Freedom, I thought it was a certainty that Arrogate would opt for the Woodward. That's actually still on the table if Baffert is simply trying to clear the table for Collected. Or he's simply figured out how to adjust his training to the surface and his confidence is restored.

At the same time, the BC Classic will be run at Del Mar this year, so if the connections don't want to deal with lingering surface questions all through the fall, they'll probably run here to get to the bottom of it all.
I thought the same...I was told he was running here for sure about a week ago. I still find it hard to believe a truly great horse would have issues with surface, he never has anywhere else. My best guess is maybe he is getting studish?

This is a different track, maybe plays to the east coast better, maybe you need a race over it...have no clue but its def not SA or old Del Mar.
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"...Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:08 PM
knickslions2's Avatar
knickslions2 knickslions2 is offline
Royal Ascot
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Not without at least a brief layoff in between. However, was there really no excuse?

It's an interesting quandary for the connections. It's an easy and perhaps plausible excuse that the horse detested the surface. This is supported by the relatively poor performance of Baffert runners in subsequent weeks. Until Sunday, and the efforts of Soul Streit and Irish Freedom, I thought it was a certainty that Arrogate would opt for the Woodward. That's actually still on the table if Baffert is simply trying to clear the table for Collected. Or he's simply figured out how to adjust his training to the surface and his confidence is restored.

At the same time, the BC Classic will be run at Del Mar this year, so if the connections don't want to deal with lingering surface questions all through the fall, they'll probably run here to get to the bottom of it all.
Its very interesting that both Arrogate and Collected are in this race. Collected has been training lights out and if can get the distance will be a handful to beat here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM
10 pnt move up's Avatar
10 pnt move up 10 pnt move up is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Its very interesting that both Arrogate and Collected are in this race. Collected has been training lights out and if can get the distance will be a handful to beat here.
I always felt like 10F was beyond his scope, and on this track its a real 10 furlongs this year. But he is training and talented, and you have that whole bet the longer priced Baffert horse thingy
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"...Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Indian Charlie's Avatar
Indian Charlie Indian Charlie is offline
Goodwood
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,708
Default

Normally, when a horse of anywhere near Arrogates ability runs such an inexplicable race this close to the end of its career, it's just retired. Baffert didn't seem surprised or concerned even with the race. Instead of the usual talk about going over him with every diagnostic test available, he spoke like he had confidence that Arrogate would run back to form in a few weeks.

It was pretty odd.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-16-2017, 05:35 PM
10 pnt move up's Avatar
10 pnt move up 10 pnt move up is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Normally, when a horse of anywhere near Arrogates ability runs such an inexplicable race this close to the end of its career, it's just retired. Baffert didn't seem surprised or concerned even with the race. Instead of the usual talk about going over him with every diagnostic test available, he spoke like he had confidence that Arrogate would run back to form in a few weeks.

It was pretty odd.
I have pointed that out in other places, his comments before the race and after the race were at complete odds with other...nervous before, almost making excuses...to we will be fine in a few weeks.
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"...Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Indian Charlie's Avatar
Indian Charlie Indian Charlie is offline
Goodwood
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I have pointed that out in other places, his comments before the race and after the race were at complete odds with other...nervous before, almost making excuses...to we will be fine in a few weeks.
It is pretty odd!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM
RHT2004 RHT2004 is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,829
Default

I think he is a mortal lock. Why not retire him? He's running because he is ready.

Last edited by RHT2004 : 08-16-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 PM
10 pnt move up's Avatar
10 pnt move up 10 pnt move up is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
I think he is a moral lock. Why not retire him? He's running because he is ready.
I dont buy that, no matter how he runs his value is cemented based on when he was right not when he was wrong. I think its a great unknown to everyone but there is actually very little to lose.
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"...Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Indian Charlie's Avatar
Indian Charlie Indian Charlie is offline
Goodwood
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
I think he is a moral lock. Why not retire him? He's running because he is ready.
Yeah, he's a mortal lock too, though his morals are impeccable. In all seriousness, he should destroy that field.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 PM
RHT2004 RHT2004 is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Yeah, he's a mortal lock too, though his morals are impeccable. In all seriousness, he should destroy that field.
Mortal. He crushes them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 PM
10 pnt move up's Avatar
10 pnt move up 10 pnt move up is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Yeah, he's a mortal lock too, though his morals are impeccable. In all seriousness, he should destroy that field.
I would point out Collected has never lost on a fast track i believe...and his TF figure is only a few points below Arrogate, he easily could be a very very good horse.
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"...Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 PM
RHT2004 RHT2004 is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I would point out Collected has never lost on a fast track i believe...and his TF figure is only a few points below Arrogate, he easily could be a very very good horse.
I dont think he wants 10f. Would have bet him going 9f at Saratoga.
Thats the only thing i think is a bit strange..... Collected has gotten very good, so his presence alone vs Arrogate makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Indian Charlie's Avatar
Indian Charlie Indian Charlie is offline
Goodwood
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I would point out Collected has never lost on a fast track i believe...and his TF figure is only a few points below Arrogate, he easily could be a very very good horse.
I'm in no way denigrating Collected. Arrogate is simply in another level.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:51 PM
MaTH716's Avatar
MaTH716 MaTH716 is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 11,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
Arrogate scratched. Enter him to scare away horses from your stablemate. Racing is really crappy sometimes. You could see this for miles when collected was also entered.
Its a fake report. (I fell for it too )
__________________
Felix Unger talking to Oscar Madison: "Your horse could finish third by 20 lengths and they still pay you? And you have been losing money for all these years?!"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:56 PM
3kings's Avatar
3kings 3kings is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Its a fake report. (I fell for it too )
I deleted it but still think he will scratch.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 PM
10 pnt move up's Avatar
10 pnt move up 10 pnt move up is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Its a fake report. (I fell for it too )
Who did he scare away?
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"...Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-18-2017, 07:55 PM
RHT2004 RHT2004 is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Who did he scare away?
No one. Its silly.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.