Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2022, 11:08 AM
The Curragh

Default ROI Results 5/14 @ Belmont

Pre Preakness weekend was tough on most players but three managed to cash in some tickets
and show a profit on the afternoon. Digger takes third place with his winning wager on Rougir in
the 10th and finished up $25 on the day. In addition Digger won the points contest so it was a
good day for Digger overall. Ruffian caught a nice winner in race 7 and finishes in second place.
Listentoyourheart paid $16.60 and returned a $149 profit overall on an overcast New York day.
Ruffians lead lasted until race 10 and it came down to Rougir and whether she could cross the
finish line first. From last to first Rougir had a no doubt about it Beaugay win and so did Joly B.
Joly played the "Grand Slam" and hit it out of the park cashing 22 of his 96 tickets each worth
$15.70. The result was a profit of $249+ and a comfortable win. Nicely played JB. Congrats on
the win. Following are the unofficial results pending any errors on my part. Let me know if I
missed anything. See you all this Saturday at Maryland, my Maryland and good luck at the
Preakness.

WIN... Joly B... +$249.40... R 7 $5 Grand Slam: 1,6,9 / 2,3 / 1,2,4 / 1... $314.00
$1 Grand Slam: 1,6,9 / 2,3 / 5 / 1... $31.40

PLACE... Ruffian... +$149.00... RACE 7 #3 = $30 WIN $16.60 X 15... $249.00

SHOW... Digger... +$25.00... R10: 1 ( show $100 ) $2.50 X 50... $125.00

Real Quiet -$72.00

Cruzan -$100.00

Roamin -$100.00

Don Guido -$100.00

Cal828 -$100.00

Eclipse -$100.00

Zippy -$100.00
Old 05-18-2022, 06:35 PM
Monmouth Park

Nicely played jolyb. If you're going to hit home might as well be with all bases occupied.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:39 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Nicely played jolyb. If you're going to hit home might as well be with all bases occupied.
Thanks Digger. I've always been intrigued by NYRA's Grand Slam wager (I don't play it just to make things difficult for RQ, despite what some might think).

What makes it most interesting to me is the strong possibility of hitting the first three legs multiple times, which could lead to many payouts if you catch the winner in the final leg. For example, if you get two correct in leg 1, three in leg 2 and 1 in leg 3 you will be able to multiply the winning payoff by 6. The best I've even done is to hit each early leg two times, which led to the winning payoff 8 times (2 x 2 x 2)

I like to single the final leg and am willing to use a short priced favorite if it meets my handicapping criteria. My rationale is that the multiple payouts could increase the winnings for an even money winner in the final leg to something like 5-2 or 3-1. I know that doesn't sound impressive to those who only want double digit odds, but it can be profitable in the long run. Still have much to learn about the best way to put a ticket together, so RQ is warned that I'm going to "swing for the fences" again.