Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Churchill Downs

Default Bernardini IS

The greatest racehorse that I have ever seen. God, what a freak! He is going to annihilate the BC Classic field!

Lava Man was spectacular once again, as was Aragorn and Henny Hughes. Awesome day of racing! I can't wait until BC Day!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:35 PM
The Curragh

well said Jess, only Candy Ride has made me drop my jaw in awe.

As much as I am a Lava Man basher, i was impressed by him today. He finally gets my respect, even if he does run up the track in Louisville.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Umm, he won, but what exactly was freaky about that performance?

That was an awful race, they went 25 and change, he's a very nice horse, but that was hardly anything to get excited about. DT did not run a step, AH is an allowance horse, and Wandering Boy is a nice G3 horse, you knew the race was over when the jock for WB looked back to make sure he could still run 2nd. He's the best horse in training, but he's not going to know what hit him, when they go faster and they trade blows on him...

Henny, Aussie Rules, and Lava Man were all more impressive, especially HH...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Randwyck

i agree bern may be a better horse but lava man's race was much more impressive. Fought off several horses to draw away. Bernadini just had to sit second until wb got tired then walk home.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Lava Man did not impress me today. He's going to have to do a lot better in Kentucky. U could easily see the amount of effort needed by both he and Bernardini today. Granted, he was facing a much tougher field than Bernardini was but the effortlessness of Bernardini's race was stunning. Without being asked for anything close to his best, he still was running strong at the end. Lava Man on the other hand was being asked, even hit by the stick in the lane. And I don't think he was going faster than Bernardini was. The BC Classic is going to be a coronation for Bernardini. He didn't beat much at all but he did it the way he was supposed to. This is a once in a lifetime horse. Unless u are a Dubai sheikh. Imagine that I don't even think he's the best horse in the family. The Classic should be a match race between he and Lava Man. There are NO other horses that belong on the same track with them. And I don't even think Lava Man belongs on the same track with Bernardini.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Lava Man did not impress me today. He's going to have to do a lot better in Kentucky. U could easily see the amount of effort needed by both he and Bernardini today. Granted, he was facing a much tougher field than Bernardini was but the effortlessness of Bernardini's race was stunning. Without being asked for anything close to his best, he still was running strong at the end. Lava Man on the other hand was being asked, even hit by the stick in the lane. And I don't think he was going faster than Bernardini was. The BC Classic is going to be a coronation for Bernardini. He didn't beat much at all but he did it the way he was supposed to. This is a once in a lifetime horse. Unless u are a Dubai sheikh. Imagine that I don't even think he's the best horse in the family. The Classic should be a match race between he and Lava Man. There are NO other horses that belong on the same track with them. And I don't even think Lava Man belongs on the same track with Bernardini.
Yes, Bernardini is a once in a lifetime horse. He brought tears to my eyes today.

I think Henny Hughes may just be the best sprinter that I have ever seen as well.

Lava Man, I love because of his class and heart, but he isn't even in the same league as Bernardini is. No horse in the world is right now except for maybe Discreet Cat, and I don't think that he could match up to Bernie. Not at a mile and a quarter.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:12 PM
stpeteslew

and to think this joke of a race goes down as a grade 1.hank goldberg would be better competition than the bums bernardini has faced.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:21 PM
ezrabrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteslew
and to think this joke of a race goes down as a grade 1.hank goldberg would be better competition than the bums bernardini has faced.
But at least a Grade One horse won it.. He looks the best I've seen in quite a while, but, he still hasn't been looked in the eye... and asked to dig down. Heck, he may never have too. Who was that Barbaro horse?

Ez
Old 10-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Hialeah Park

I haven't seen one that moves as easily as Bern.
Enjoy this one. The ones like him don't come along that often.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:36 PM
stpeteslew

i see a grade 1 horse is a horse who routinely beats lousy horses in small errr very small fields.by that account provennothingdini is a grade1 horse.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:41 PM

A grade one horse is one that scares away all of the horses that figure to be competitive with him then makes the others, maybe not great horses but stakes horses nonetheless, look like stable ponies. He can only beat what they send against him. I think it's a combination of him being that good and him being that much better than what he's facing that's making it look so easy.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-07-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteslew
i see a grade 1 horse is a horse who routinely beats lousy horses in small errr very small fields.by that account provennothingdini is a grade1 horse.
Anyone that questions whether Bernardini is a grade one horse is simply a hater! Racing has far too many haters!! I've often said that the reason we don't have more great horses is that we don't deserve them...some folks would have spat on Secretariat!
I agree that today's race was a paid workout for this guy, Dylan Thomas simply can't run on dirt, they know that now, AH is too slow for the top horses and a rabbit is a rabbit BUT, anyone who knows anything about racing, and by that I mean can watch a horse run and see greatness when it's obviously there, is impressed with this guy!
Lava Man...same thing! Lots of haters! This guy is the real deal, he did face a reasonably good field today and blew them away...was he asked to do more than Bernardini? Sure, he had to set the pace then draw off...so what? He did everything anyone could ask! We have 2 maybe 3 special horses heading to the BCC...enjoy them, we may not have a year like this again in a long long time!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Churchill Downs

Bernardini was in a wfa race, GETTING weight from inferior older horses. Lava Man was in a handicap, GIVING 8 to 15 lbs to inferior older horses and a 3yo. At level weights, he probably would have won more easily, but the point of a handicap is to give the best horse enough additional weight that the others have a shot of winning. At wfa in Pacific Classic, he had an easier time of it, because he didn't have to concede gobs of weight.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
Anyone that questions whether Bernardini is a grade one horse is simply a hater! Racing has far too many haters!! I've often said that the reason we don't have more great horses is that we don't deserve them...some folks would have spat on Secretariat!
I agree that today's race was a paid workout for this guy, Dylan Thomas simply can't run on dirt, they know that now, AH is too slow for the top horses and a rabbit is a rabbit BUT, anyone who knows anything about racing, and by that I mean can watch a horse run and see greatness when it's obviously there, is impressed with this guy!
Lava Man...same thing! Lots of haters! This guy is the real deal, he did face a reasonably good field today and blew them away...was he asked to do more than Bernardini? Sure, he had to set the pace then draw off...so what? He did everything anyone could ask! We have 2 maybe 3 special horses heading to the BCC...enjoy them, we may not have a year like this again in a long long time!
Well said somer. This was a GREAT day of racing! Second best day of racing in the year. Second only to the BC.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Tropical Park

Dylan Thomas is Danehill out of a Diesis mare. Whoever decided to run this horse on dirt based on a few poly workouts -- pathetic. A disgrace.

I still bet against Bernardini in the Classic. A total hype job. Throw a full field against him with solid fractions and I say that this horse won't have anything left. He won't know what hit him.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Hollywood Park

Default The best i have seen

Bernardini is the best horse that i have seen IMO... Been going to the races since Affirmed and Alydar.....

He just does it with ease......

What a treat....
Old 10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
Yes, Bernardini is a once in a lifetime horse. He brought tears to my eyes today.

I think Henny Hughes may just be the best sprinter that I have ever seen as well.

Lava Man, I love because of his class and heart, but he isn't even in the same league as Bernardini is. No horse in the world is right now except for maybe Discreet Cat, and I don't think that he could match up to Bernie. Not at a mile and a quarter.
Bernardini is just a good 3 year old who has run against nobody. He's been very lucky in that he hasn't had anybody to run against. He might get lucky again because he doesn't have Ghostzapper, St. Liam, or Roses in May to run against. Plenty of older horses can get the 10f in 201 and change. With solid fractions also. It'll be a different story at CD in a few weeks.

The fractions in that race were almost like a turf race. 25+, 48, yawn, sigh, snore, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . .

Wake me up when a truly great horse arrives, because it's not Bernardini.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Bernardini is the best horse that i have seen IMO... Been going to the races since Affirmed and Alydar.....

He just does it with ease......

What a treat....
PSH,
I agree.
Best ride of the day, imo, was Gomez on Aussie. Super ride!
Bern...no words could say more. No whip, no urging...just easily.
Savor this one.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
And your Bernardini assessment is based on what? His Preakness was a pretty good effort, no? I love the hating.
I don't hate any horse. And I never wish anything bad for any horse. I'd rather lose a bet than see a horse I bet against get hurt.

His Preakness was solid -- but no record time. The field folded. It would have been very interesting without the injury to Barbaro.

Frankly, I think Smarty Jones ran a better Preakness. Yet he was never hailed as "very special", or "great", or whatever.

The hype machine is all over Bernardini to get the public's mind off Barbaro.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
I haven't seen one that moves as easily as Bern.
Enjoy this one. The ones like him don't come along that often.
Ghostzapper was faster than Bernardini will ever be. And that was just two years ago. Horses as good as Bernardini have come along quite often.