Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey! That was Quiet Chris!

Default Summer Bird could be HOY

I know Rachel beat him at her ideal distance with a weight break, but he just trounced a horse she barely beat.

If Summer Bird wins the Classic he will have won 4 of the 6 biggest races in America and he will have won om dirt and synthetic and he will have put in a full year.

It will be hard to win the Classic with the Europeans in there but I think the voters will give him HOY if he wins.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Oaklawn

Oh gawd.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Goodwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4tlgrcOvR0
Old 10-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossfireHurricane
I know Rachel beat him at her ideal distance with a weight break, but he just trounced a horse she barely beat.

If Summer Bird wins the Classic he will have won 4 of the 6 biggest races in America and he will have won om dirt and synthetic and he will have put in a full year.

It will be hard to win the Classic with the Europeans in there but I think the voters will give him HOY if he wins.
No he was born in the same year Rachel was Hence he gets 3 year old colt PERIOD.. I will say it is very hard to imagine a colt winning the Belmont, Travers, JCGC, and BC Classic and still not even considered for HOY.. Who cares about HOY anyway he is a darn nice colt.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Arlington Park

[quote=freddymo]Belmont, Travers, JCGC, and BC Classic and still not even considered for HOY..QUOTE]

No consideration? Let's not get carried away people, I know Rachel Alexandra is almost afforded god like status on this forum, but to say a horse that wins The Belmont, Travers, JCGC, and BC Classic especially when that horse didn't make his first career start until Mar 1 of this year shouldn't even be given consideration is really getting to the beyond the ridiculous point of discussion.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Belmont Park

[quote=CSC]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Belmont, Travers, JCGC, and BC Classic and still not even considered for HOY..QUOTE]

No consideration? Let's not get carried away people, I know Rachel Alexandra is almost afforded god like status on this forum, but to say a horse that wins The Belmont, Travers, JCGC, and BC Classic all in one year from a horse that didn't make his first career start until Mar 1 of this year shouldn't even be given consideration is really getting to the beyond ridiculous point of forum discussion.
He got trounced and would be trounced again. Even Ice knows his colt is currently ZERO match for her. THIS TAKES NOTHING AWAY FROM THE COLT!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Arlington Park

[quote=freddymo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
He got trounced and would be trounced again. Even Ice knows his colt is currently ZERO match for her. THIS TAKES NOTHING AWAY FROM THE COLT!
LOL, yep let me guess based on that one race, the Haskell. Gotcha..
Old 10-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Belmont Park

Rachel factures races..I love Summer Bird bet the crap out of him in the Belmont and loved him in the Travers. he can never beat Rachel because he can't move with her or out finish her. Even if they throw a rabbit in a race she will just sit off the rabbit and then sprint away from him. Rachel is just faster doesn't mean he isn't a wonderful colt. Maybe next year although I would figure his days of racing are numbered....maybe 1 race left on his dance card
Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossfireHurricane
You win the award. Right after the race, I wondered who would be the first to use that as a measuring stick for how good each horse is.

And I'm glad that among the other things we've all learned about you in the first week or so here, the fact that you have no understanding of race dynamics is something we can also add to the list of things we know for certain.

Perhaps had Summer Bird run his first six furlongs some dozen lengths or so faster than he did this afternoon, then we could possibly, maybe, hypothetically even begin to have that conversation.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
You win the award. Right after the race, I wondered who would be the first to use that as a measuring stick for how good each horse is.

And I'm glad that among the other things we've all learned about you in the first week or so here, the fact that you have no understanding of race dynamics is something we can also add to the list of things we know for certain.

Perhaps had Summer Bird run his first six furlongs some dozen lengths or so faster than he did this afternoon, then we could possibly, maybe, hypothetically even begin to have that conversation.
OMG I didnt realize the insanity of the post until you put it in context.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Though lest CSC or anyone think that I'm not giving him credit, that was a hell of a run and he's a really, really, really nice colt. Just think that he's quite unfortunate to have been born the year he was.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Arlington Park

It's not impossible to beat her if the race dynamics are similiar to the Preakness and or the Woodward. The Summer Bird we have seen the last 2 races would have given her alot of trouble, I find your reasoning confusing you like SB, you bet the crap out of him but you cannot entertain he can beat her, I know he would be more than a handful for her to handle given the right scenario. I give her credit for beating the likes of Macho Again and Mine That Bird in those 2 races but they are nowhere the horse that Summer Bird is, we can only hope these 2 will meet somewhere down the line, otherwise she can dine off of that Haskell win the rest of her career over SB until Jackson and Assmussen come to a consensus to try SB again.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Though lest CSC or anyone think that I'm not giving him credit, that was a hell of a run and he's a really, really, really nice colt. Just think that he's quite unfortunate to have been born the year he was.
Well its a slow night, I'm just trying to balance it out as much as I can here and stick one up for Summer Bird and what he has accomplished this yr.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
otherwise he can dine off of those wins over Quality Road who may or may not still be dining off his penultimate career win over a NW2X horse in Dunkirk.
FTFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Well its a slow night, I'm just trying to balance it out as much as I can here and stick one up for Summer Bird and what he has accomplished this yr.
I have no problem with that. Just think that people who make that case have been doing it in the wrong way most of the summer.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
It's not impossible to beat her if the race dynamics are similiar to the Preakness and or the Woodward. The Summer Bird we have seen the last 2 races would have given her alot of trouble, I find your reasoning confusing you like SB, you bet the crap out of him but you cannot entertain he can beat her, I know he would be more than a handful for her to handle given the right scenario. I give her credit for beating the likes of Macho Again and Mine That Bird in those 2 races but they are nowhere the horse that Summer Bird is, we can only hope these 2 will meet somewhere down the line, otherwise she can dine off of that Haskell win the rest of her career over SB until Jackson and Assmussen come to a consensus to try SB again.
What do you think the chances are that Summer bird comes back at 4 1 in 8?
Old 10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey! That was Quiet Chris!

She beat him in a 9f race on a track that favored her. I doubt she beats him in the Travers or JCGC or Belmont.

He definitely is better as he goes longer. I still think Icon Project would have beaten him though is she was in there.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Lincoln Fields

Rachel Alexandra is just simply a better horse than Summer Bird no matter the race, track condition, distance, what have you. Rachel ran against Summer Bird in the Haskell over ideal conditions for Summer Bird on his favorite track which is the slop, as well as in his new style. There is no possible case that could made that Summer Bird is a better horse than Rachel Alexandra.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Rachel factures races..I love Summer Bird bet the crap out of him in the Belmont and loved him in the Travers. he can never beat Rachel because he can't move with her or out finish her. Even if they throw a rabbit in a race she will just sit off the rabbit and then sprint away from him. Rachel is just faster doesn't mean he isn't a wonderful colt. Maybe next year although I would figure his days of racing are numbered....maybe 1 race left on his dance card
I doubt anyone will put up enough to get him to retire. But them again someone thought Pioneer of the Nile was worth $20k a pop so who knows?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
What do you think the chances are that Summer bird comes back at 4 1 in 8?
80%
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJ
There is no possible case that could made that Summer Bird is a better horse than Rachel Alexandra.
You are most wrong sir.

There are illogical cases, cases not well thought out, nonsensical cases, etc in which SB is the better horse.

There are also cases in which RA never beat SB, as well as cases in which SB actually did win the Haskell.