Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Morris Park

I would still find it hard to call a horse great based on the 1 race. But then I have a problem with the whole Breeders Cup concept.

I would rather see him race as a 4 year old; maybe even take a few defeats, but it would depend on how he raced in those defeats.
Seattle Slew completed his Triple Crown undefeated. But what he did as a 4 year old is what I really remember. He faced the best: won 2 and lost 2.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Del Mar

I was kidding. Maybe Calder is a better fit for him. The turf course is lush and green. He needed binocs to see Bernardinis fat ass.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
Open Reply To Steve ...

Moderators should be moderate ... and understand that everyone here is an adult ... all of whom should be capable of dealing with whatever pixels may appear on their monitors.

"Bans" ... if they are to exist at all ... should be based on a specific set of rules ... clearly enunciated and understood by all ... not on the personal whims of a muscle-flexing "moderator." Football can't be played with moving goalposts ... and members of this forum shouldn't have to fear arbitrary expulsion based on the on-the-fly impulses of a sole arbitor.

My take: Short of persistent vulgarity and physical threats ... I don't believe anyone should be "banned" ... and certainly not for using the word "imbecile" and objecting to its deletion. Far worse things are posted on nearly every thread. As such ... I strongly disagree with the ban on Dixie.

It's your spaldeen ... and you can determine who plays with it ... but an atmosphere of interference and intimidation makes the entire concept much less palatable.
BB,

Dixie wasn't benched because of the use of the word imbecile.. He got it for rude and belligerent responses to the editing of the post that included the word imbecille (as directed at a poster as opposed to an opinion)... I agree with the basic premise that being sent to the penalty box here needs to have solid and defined parameters. Those parameters are that of propriety and civility as determined by Joey, Bethani and myself. Not by whim or capriciousness...

Your objection, and undoubted exception, are noted and appreciated. Only one person has been "banned" from Derby Trail, and only 2 have received benchings. Many others have been asked to utilize better judgement in their responses to confrontational situations. I believe that the vast majority of Derby Trailers are comfortable with the way in which the moderators are conducting the administration of the Forum, and invite further comment on the topic by community members.

Steve

Last edited by Kasept : 10-10-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
BB,

Dixie wasn't benched because of the use of the word imbecile.. He got it for rude and belligerent responses to the editing of the post that included the word imbecille... I agree with the basic premise that being sent to the penalty box here needs to have solid and defined parameters. Those parameters are that of propriety and civility as determined by Joey, Bethani and myself. Not by whim or capriciousness...

Your objection, and undoubted exception, are noted and appreciated. Only one person has been "banned" from Derby Trail, and only 2 have received benchings. Many others have been asked to utilize better judgement in their responses to confrontational situations. I believe that the vast majority of Derby Trailers are comfortable with the way in which the moderators are conducting the administration of the Forum, and invite further comment by on the topic by community members.

Steve
*Raises hand.* I'm guilty of the better judgement calls.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
BB,

Dixie wasn't benched because of the use of the word imbecile.. He got it for rude and belligerent responses to the editing of the post that included the word imbecille... I agree with the basic premise that being sent to the penalty box here needs to have solid and defined parameters. Those parameters are that of propriety and civility as determined by Joey, Bethani and myself. Not by whim or capriciousness...

Your objection, and undoubted exception, are noted and appreciated. Only one person has been "banned" from Derby Trail, and only 2 have received benchings. Many others have been asked to utilize better judgement in their responses to confrontational situations. I believe that the vast majority of Derby Trailers are comfortable with the way in which the moderators are conducting the administration of the Forum, and invite further comment by on the topic by community members.

Steve
Maybe fines would work better!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
BB,

Dixie wasn't benched because of the use of the word imbecile.. He got it for rude and belligerent responses to the editing of the post that included the word imbecille (as directed at a poster as opposed to an opinion)... I agree with the basic premise that being sent to the penalty box here needs to have solid and defined parameters. Those parameters are that of propriety and civility as determined by Joey, Bethani and myself. Not by whim or capriciousness...

Your objection, and undoubted exception, are noted and appreciated. Only one person has been "banned" from Derby Trail, and only 2 have received benchings. Many others have been asked to utilize better judgement in their responses to confrontational situations. I believe that the vast majority of Derby Trailers are comfortable with the way in which the moderators are conducting the administration of the Forum, and invite further comment on the topic by community members.

Steve
I just wouldn't want this forum to become like the "other" one ... which was ruled over by a coven of shrill harpies ... who tossed out "bans" with the same abandon as medieval popes hurled anathemas ... and for any reason or un-reason which struck their estrogen-driven fancies and fantasies.

That forum ... by the way ... collapsed because of that ...

... and a few of the same harridans are now much more demure members of this one.

And as far as Dixie goes ... I think moderators should have much thicker skins ... and much more forbearance ... than was on display in that little brouhaha.

Onward and upward ...

Last edited by Bold Brooklynite : 10-10-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:02 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
If he blows through the BCC field like he's done the past several races, then yeah, he's pretty amazing. He can only race what shows up... not his fault if others are freaked out. He'll be up against a lot more in the BCC than he has been all year and yes, you could call him great if he beat all of them in a similar fashion.

This thread makes pretty cool reading as far as reflecting back on what we were all thinking 4 weeks ago before the cup.

Last edited by Kasept : 11-07-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 PM
pgardn

I forgive them for they are young and know not what they do.
Been thru this so many times before with other horses...

Pope Pgardn III
Old 11-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
I find it hilarious that there are still Bernardini haters.

Go ahead and bet against this horse on 11/4. I would LOVE it. Give me a decent price on this monster and go home crying like a salty little girl. It would be "classic," no pun intended.

I wonder who the salty little girl is now, sorry couldn't resist...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
More insight, if I ever need a laugh, I will pull up this thread...
My favorite part is the 25 second furlong.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 PM
pgardn

I detract my post.

No sense in fighting with hurt egos.

Last edited by pgardn : 11-07-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
I detract my post.

No sense in fighting with hurt egos.
I deleted mine as well, this was not a moderator thing, but my doing...
Old 11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I deleted mine as well, this was not a moderator thing, but my doing...
You guys are confusing the crap out of me...

Doesn't take much on a day like today... AHHH!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
You guys are confusing the crap out of me...

Doesn't take much on a day like today... AHHH!!!
What happened was I posted up some juvenile comments calling out the Bernardini lovers, Steve Deleted them, I made another dumb comment about it being deleted. Steve put them back up, but he was right, they served no use. It's easy for me to chest thump now, but like everything else in this game you are not nearly as smart as you think are and it's easy to be so after the fact. So I went back and deleted my comments that were deleted and then put back up...Make Sense, because now I think I am confused...
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
What happened was I posted up some juvenile comments calling out the Bernardini lovers, Steve Deleted them, I made another dumb comment about it being deleted. Steve put them back up, but he was right, they served no use. It's easy for me to chest thump now, but like everything else in this game you are not nearly as smart as you think are and it's easy to be so after the fact. So I went back and deleted my comments that were deleted and then put back up...Make Sense, because now I think I am confused...
Makes sense...

I will admit that some of the posts made regarding Bernie before the classic were quite comical, but I'm more impressed with this colt after his loss than I was before. That's so typical of me...

Oh well... he's on to make little baby Bernie's.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:31 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Makes sense...

I will admit that some of the posts made regarding Bernie before the classic were quite comical, but I'm more impressed with this colt after his loss than I was before. That's so typical of me...

Oh well... he's on to make little baby Bernie's.
My post was totally mild mannered but I think Ateam was not to keen on it because it gave insight to how my comments were distorted. No biggie. Some egos cant handle logic.