Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Jerome Park

Default Funny, Considering the Number of Entries I Thought He Retired Years Ago

I got the following earth shattering, and self-serving, news this morning.....

Michael Dickinson will not be applying for a Trainers License in 2008

I need 100% of my time to concentrate on Tapeta Footings. I spent most of last winter overseas and 50% of my time this summer visiting Tapeta installations in 5 countries, which obviously leaves little time for training. I have been concerned for sometime about the welfare of horses racing on unsuitable surfaces and really want repay the horse in my own small way.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I got the following earth shattering, and self-serving, news this morning.....

Michael Dickinson will not be applying for a Trainers License in 2008

I need 100% of my time to concentrate on Tapeta Footings. I spent most of last winter overseas and 50% of my time this summer visiting Tapeta installations in 5 countries, which obviously leaves little time for training. I have been concerned for sometime about the welfare of horses racing on unsuitable surfaces and really want repay the horse in my own small way.

so will his horses be drinking more or less beer now?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Dee Tee Stables

you mean no more stories upon stories about dickinson sticking his finger in the mud at a track? how will the sport survive?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Keeneland

I've always liked Dickinson. A legendary jumps trainer. I like that the welfare of the horse has always been his first emphasis, from the setup of his stable, to his gallops, and his work on developing Tapeta.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Oriental Park

The guy won about 1 race every 5 months with a full barn. Im sure he will be sorely missed

Welfare of his horses, maybe that would explain why his runners averaged about 4 starts a year. That or the great surface they trained over
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Keeneland

Well then you guys should be happy he's gone, and not around clouding your forms with horses to readily bet against
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Well then you guys should be happy he's gone, and not around clouding your forms with horses to readily bet against
So when did you join PETA?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Before someone reminds me I need to let it go, I'm sure A Huevo really appreciated how Dickinson had his welfare in mind when he ran over the sloppiest track in history off a year long layoff in the 2005 WV Breeders Classic.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
So when did you join PETA?
That statement makes no contextual sense whatsoever.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Newmarket

count me as one who didn't know he was still training.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
That statement makes no contextual sense whatsoever.
Coming from someone who used welfare and jumps trainer in the same post I'll take that as a compliment.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Coming from someone who used welfare and jumps trainer in the same post I'll take that as a compliment.
Ahhh ... so you think jumping horses is cruel?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Ahhh ... so you think jumping horses is cruel?
I have a problem with you speaking for Dickinson. His first priority is the welfare of his horses? Really? Let's be honest with ourselves...if his first priority was the welfare of horses he wouldn't be in a business where they are put at risk.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Let's be honest with ourselves...if his first priority was the welfare of horses he wouldn't be in a business where they are put at risk.

Tough to argue with this.

Dickinson's first priority is to make money. There is nothing wrong with this. However, this is the important point that seems to be being glossed over. Mr. Dickinson can, does, and will make a great deal of money from the proliferation of synthetic surfaces. His second priority is to enable his first priority to be successful.

The overall welfare of horses is way down the actual list of his priorities.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I have a problem with you speaking for Dickinson.
I obviously didn't speak for Dickinson. I most obviously spoke my own opinion, based upon my own observations, when I said, "I've .... "

Quote:
His first priority is the welfare of his horses? Really? Let's be honest with ourselves...if his first priority was the welfare of horses he wouldn't be in a business where they are put at risk.
I asked you if you thought jumping horses was cruel. You haven't answered directly. Do you think so, or not? Your reply above is confusing: do you think racing horses (not over jumps) is cruel, or not?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Dickinson's first priority is to make money. There is nothing wrong with this. However, this is the important point that seems to be being glossed over. Mr. Dickinson can, does, and will make a great deal of money from the proliferation of synthetic surfaces. His second priority is to enable his first priority to be successful.

The overall welfare of horses is way down the actual list of his priorities.
So you maintain Dickinson's initial development of Tapeta over the years was not initiated nor based upon his concern for track conditions that horses would be racing over, that it was simply his getting on the bandwagon years ago, with the realization that someday tracks would want synthetic surfaces, and he would then be in a position to profit from that?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
I obviously didn't speak for Dickinson. I most obviously spoke my own opinion, based upon my own observations, when I said, "I've .... "

I asked you if you thought jumping horses was cruel. You haven't answered directly. Do you think so, or not? Your reply above is confusing: do you think racing horses (not over jumps) is cruel, or not?
Yes it can be a cruel sport. Please tell me otherwise. I need a good laugh today.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
So you maintain Dickinson's initial development of Tapeta over the years was not initiated nor based upon his concern for track conditions that horses would be racing over, that it was simply his getting on the bandwagon years ago, with the realization that someday tracks would want synthetic surfaces, and he would then be in a position to profit from that?

I think they may go hand in hand.

Frankly, a great deal of things were said about synthetic surfaces when they were introduced to racing that have been proven to be completely untrue. And, this is in just the first couple of years.

If the Tapeta surface was so kind to horses how come Mr. Dickinson's horses make less starts overall than any other trainer's horses on the entire planet?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Yes it can be a cruel sport. Please tell me otherwise. I need a good laugh today.
Yes, jump racing can be a cruel sport, as can flat racing, as can barrel racing or riding horses over jumps in a show ring.

But either flat or jump racing (or other horse sports) can also not be "cruel" to the horse at all, unless one believes the essential nature of any horse sport - that being man utilizing the horse within them - is cruel by definition.

That's the PETA viewpoint, btw.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Yes, jump racing can be a cruel sport, as can flat racing, as can barrel racing or riding horses over jumps in a show ring.

But either flat or jump racing (or other horse sports) can also not be "cruel" to the horse at all, unless one believes the essential nature of any horse sport - that being man utilizing the horse within them - is cruel by definition.

That's the PETA viewpoint, btw.
PETA's viewpoint goes deeper than that. They want the sport banned.

I don't want it banned. I just want people to stop trying to pretty the sport up as something it's not. Just be real and accept the fact that you enjoy a sport that can be cruel to an animal. It doesn't make you evil, it makes you human.