Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Orb was red-hot on the board.
At one point (with over $200K in the win pool), the "other Pletcher" was 8-5 while Cross Traffic was 7-1. If the Cross Traffic that ran in the Met Mile and Whitney had showed up on Saturday, he was supposed to be closer to 8-5 than 8-1. Someone knew.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Was Quality Road doing 2f works then by the time the BC rolled around?
Quality Road worked steadily between the Woodward and Cup but was always an ouchy type with those problematic feet. With Jerkens too.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
never been too big into the "board", just as much as it may have lead me somewhere more times than not its been fools gold.
I let it lead me to horses that are getting ignored...
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
At one point (with over $200K in the win pool), the "other Pletcher" was 8-5 while Cross Traffic was 7-1. If the Cross Traffic that ran in the Met Mile and Whitney had showed up on Saturday, he was supposed to be closer to 8-5 than 8-1. Someone knew.
Don't buy it. Palace Malice -- the 'other' Pletcher -- had won at 12f over the course and was exiting a troubled 10f trip. Cross Traffic was an uncertainty that many felt was fortunate to hold off Successful Dan at 9f.

Here's the ML and PT prices of the 4 faves.
Cross Traffic (2.50 ML; 3.40 PT)
Flat Out (3.00 ML; 2.50 PT)
Palace Malice (4.00 ML; 2.75 PT)
Orb (4.50 ML; 3.50)
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK View Post
I let it lead me to horses that are getting ignored...
Especially in the subject race!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Oaklawn

Cross Traffic lost all chance at the start. To use his performance as a true indication off how he is might be a bit aggressive. I won't be surprised if he bounces back or is done for a 125 return Beyer at Gulfstream or is retired.

I don't think you can honestly say though that the early wagering in the race wasn't curious. Cross Traffic figured to be lone speed on a speedy good rail and had big figures to boot with Pletcher's hot hand. To open up at something like 6-1 or 7-1 is pretty high I think. I don't know who "they" is and what they know that we don't, but his price was really high early in the betting.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
The immediate culprit for Cross Traffic's difficult start was attributed to the gate placement for the seldom used 10f trip. Given that it was his hind legs that went out from under him, there is every likelihood that the footing out against the rail was less than ideal.

Hard to see Cross Traffic tailing off with Pletcher eschewing his typical half mile works and giving him regular 5f drills the last month. The M.O. on Pletcher runners that are over the top is nursing them up to the race. Sure looked like Cross Traffic was being prepared for the stretchout with those solid five-eighths efforts.
how is the 116ish bsf dreaming of julia doing? War front?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Don't buy it. Palace Malice -- the 'other' Pletcher -- had won at 12f over the course and was exiting a troubled 10f trip. Cross Traffic was an uncertainty that many felt was fortunate to hold off Successful Dan at 9f.

Here's the ML and PT prices of the 4 faves.
Cross Traffic (2.50 ML; 3.40 PT)
Flat Out (3.00 ML; 2.50 PT)
Palace Malice (4.00 ML; 2.75 PT)
Orb (4.50 ML; 3.50)
orb is shug at home not to mention the winner of americas only famous race
flat out was mott at home and more importantly flat out at home
palice malice was the best horse in travers and classic winner
cross traffic was a monster 4 year ols with the hottest bsf he was 5 to 1 with 7 minutes to go.. ice city... the word was out period
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
orb is shug at home not to mention the winner of americas only famous race
flat out was mott at home and more importantly flat out at home
palice malice was the best horse in travers and classic winner
cross traffic was a monster 4 year ols with the hottest bsf he was 5 to 1 with 7 minutes to go.. ice city... the word was out period
OK Freddy. You're right. That makes it clear. The $1 separating the 4 top choices spells it out definitively. Word was out period.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Steve Byk

Here's a question for those that must really be in the know... With all the smart money 'that knew', how did the winner go off at 21-1?

"They knew" yet "they" let the winner go at an obvious overlay number. I guess only 'they' that really know among the they that knew got in on the winner.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Fairgrounds

Okay, we have now flushed out the Jockey club Gold cup. We now need to figure out how to tackle the breeders cup. Obviously, we will watch the works and listen to the usual chatter associated with the horses coming up to the big days. That being said, I still have gotten little knowledge from this past weekend.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
The immediate culprit for Cross Traffic's difficult start was attributed to the gate placement for the seldom used 10f trip. Given that it was his hind legs that went out from under him, there is every likelihood that the footing out against the rail was less than ideal.
This is very stupid.

What if there were nine horses, would 8&9 both have stumbled? How about the 7 horse.....was he breaking from firm ground?

Steve, this is REALLY stupid.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
This is very stupid.

What if there were nine horses, would 8&9 both have stumbled? How about the 7 horse.....was he breaking from firm ground?

Steve, this is REALLY stupid.
Really stupid? Huh.. Mig and Steve Young didn't think so when suggesting it.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Really stupid? Huh.. Mig and Steve Young didn't think so when suggesting it.
I don't care who said it, it is stupid, irresponsible, and holds up to NO intelligent scrutiny.

Just repeating things that others say is VERY dangerous.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
I don't care who said it, it is stupid, irresponsible, and holds up to NO intelligent scrutiny.

Just repeating things that others say is VERY dangerous.
Horses can struggle out of the gate on the AQU inner because of the consistency/nature of the surface, but it's not possible that the footing contributed to Cross Traffic's struggle?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Horses can struggle out of the gate on the AQU inner because of the consistency/nature of the surface, but it's not possible that the footing contributed to Cross Traffic's struggle?
I don't agree with ANY of this. There is no evidence whatsoever to back up your first assertion about the inner, and frankly, comments like that are irresponsible.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Sunshine Park

Going into the race I was more concerned that the connections decided to skip the Woodward with Cross Traffic. Why skip a race, over a surface you had just won at, if he was doing good?

Bad start and all, I think there is some merit to how cold he was on the board being a possible indication that he was not going to put forth his best.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Jerome Park

What posts did Tiznow, Saint Liam, and Unbridled break from when winning their BC Classics at Belmont?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Horses break Poorly and stumble on all surfaces in all types of races. Sometimes they are relatively minor, like War Emblem's in the Belmont or Seattle Slew's in his very slow Derby win. Starts are more important for front end speed horses. Game on Dude broke a half step slow and bobbled in last years Breeders Cup Classic...that very minor poor break is far more detrimental to him than it would have been to a horse without a one dimensional running style.

The hardest thing to do in horse racing is simply say 'I don't know why'

A lot of horses open up extremely cold on the board, they don't go out and break like that, almost ever.

Palace Malice was just one stall inside of Cross Traffic, and he broke like a shot.

There's a lot of good racing stuff to talk about now, guessing as to why the start wasn't cleaner in this years JCGC is a bit of a silly exercise.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
What posts did Tiznow, Saint Liam, and Unbridled break from when winning their BC Classics at Belmont?
10 I believe.