Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
now, am i the only one calling bullsh!t when jess jackson was being interviewed before the race, or is it the cynic in me rearing it's head? he gave all those wonderful, flowery reasons for running curlin this year. but do we really believe it was for sportsmanship, for the game, the horses legacy, etc? or was it the only choice due to the legalities surrounding the horse? i think it's because not one stud farm out there would touch him because of midnight cry, and all the surrounding issues to go with it.
No, you weren't the only one. It was making me nuts. I was happy Curlin ran this year; it was a lot of fun watching him win Dubai, and watching him try the turf, etc., but I don't think if there weren't legal issues around that last 20 percent of him that we would have seen this. Did you notice when Jackson started to say something about without the fans there's no sport he stumbled over his words and it ended up garbled? Because I think by that point even he couldn't spout something so blatantly untrue. It's not about us and never is.

That aside, it was still a nice way to spend the evening (I had to work Sat and watched the races on DVR). Yay for everyone coming back safe!

Does anyone know how many European horses ran versus how many American? The math nerd in me is curious how the win percentages Euro vs. American came out.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Suffolk Downs

Just a little follow-up...
I was one of the lucky OTB customers who had a share of Steve's Pick 6. MAJOR SALUTE to Mr. Crist and much thanks!
So...I'm looking at the OTB web site and it says each winner gets $1067 after taxes. Big mistake! They still have not taken into account the 13 conso pick 5 tickets that were part of Steve's wager! With consolations, the score is over $65K. Take out 20% withholding and the final pot to divide among the customers is $52K or about $1300 per customer.
I called OTB and they said it was impossible to have more than one conso per ticket. They said they have to wait till Monday for their corporate comptroller to audit the results! I can't understand for the life of me how OTB doesn't understand that you can have more than one conso on a ticket. While I appreciate their intentions and am grateful for this promotion, how can they run a betting entity and not understand serial wagering and possible outcomes from using multiple horses on one ticket!
Anyway..thanks Steve and Capital OTB.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanumeric1
Just a little follow-up...
I was one of the lucky OTB customers who had a share of Steve's Pick 6. MAJOR SALUTE to Mr. Crist and much thanks!
So...I'm looking at the OTB web site and it says each winner gets $1067 after taxes. Big mistake! They still have not taken into account the 13 conso pick 5 tickets that were part of Steve's wager! With consolations, the score is over $65K. Take out 20% withholding and the final pot to divide among the customers is $52K or about $1300 per customer.
I called OTB and they said it was impossible to have more than one conso per ticket. They said they have to wait till Monday for their corporate comptroller to audit the results! I can't understand for the life of me how OTB doesn't understand that you can have more than one conso on a ticket. While I appreciate their intentions and am grateful for this promotion, how can they run a betting entity and not understand serial wagering and possible outcomes from using multiple horses on one ticket!
Anyway..thanks Steve and Capital OTB.
The withholding on that ticket will be 25%
Old 10-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Suffolk Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
The withholding on that ticket will be 25%
Thanks for the correction but each share still comes out to $1218 per customer which is more than the CapitalOTB website says ($1067 per customer). I still think they have they numbers screwed up and don't understand how many consolation tickets were actually part of Steve's ticket.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanumeric1
Thanks for the correction but each share still comes out to $1218 per customer which is more than the CapitalOTB website says ($1067 per customer). I still think they have they numbers screwed up and don't understand how many consolation tickets were actually part of Steve's ticket.
You are correct. They didn't figure in the consos. Stay on them and make sure they get it right.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
OTB did not " give " Steve anything. They gave an opportunity to their good customers. Steve took advantage of it, and used his skills to make money for those customers.
skills what skills? He violated the biggest rule in the world... included MO? lol

good for Steve
Old 10-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Jerome Park

I can't imagine OTB plans on keeping the withholding. They must be making each person fill out a W2 for 1/41th of the Pick-6 ticket. This is an easy thing to do....I've done it when I have hit the Pick-6 with partners. Everyone is responsible for dealing with the withholding....and most likely getting it back. or at least some of it.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Breathtaking

How great is Zarkava, wow.

She's no Smooth Air.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
She's no Smooth Air.
HAHA.... I heard he tried really hard though.

Andy, I think The Bid has a new horse crush in Raven's Pass since he cashed for 20k on him.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Goodwood

Clearly Indian Charlie was his most gifted racehorse.

He was plagued by soundness and health issues, including being a wobbler.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
Clearly Indian Charlie was his most gifted racehorse.
Clearly?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Clearly?
That he even raced was unlikely, being a wobbler.

His four wins were as awesome and overpowering as you'll likely see, and despite bowing a tendon in the derby, was actually gaining on the two horses that had passed him near the end of the race.

Wobblers, btw, are usually not raced, though I'm guessing they probably didn't know he was a wobbler until he was a stallion. Nonetheless, running like he did with a neurological condition is pretty amazing.

It's too bad noone has put up any of his wins on youtube. The way he made Old Trieste spit out the bit in his first two turn race was quite impressive.

Also, for a horse that has a remarkably unfashionable pedigree, he's managed to do quite nicely for himself (his owners more like!) at stud. Just a few years ago he was a 10k stallion and now he's up to 75k. As far as I know, there is only one stallion that had been trained by baffert that stands for more, and rest aren't close.

Usually a brilliant horse with a sketchy pedigree is going to be a flop at stud (skip away, gentlemen, formal gold, etc.), but I thought he was a can't miss.

I'm sure someone will point out that stud success has nothing to do with racing success, but I have to disagree in this type of instance. It's exceedingly rare for a 'poorly' bred racehorse who was just an okay racehorse to ever do anything at stud, let alone move their mares way way up.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Flemington

I think I played him in the K DERBY. LOVELY.....