Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Keeneland

There are areas of the country that are crying for trades people. People who already own houses need electricians, plumbers, roofers, maintenance, etc., etc. And, a good number of unemployed people living in economically depressed areas are loathe to move away from their "home" to seek employment elsewhere.[/quote]

Seriously, what areas of the country are crying for tradespeople? Not the largest and fastest growing areas (Arizona, etc.) People there are losing their recently-built houses, not fixing them up. Nobody can afford roofing, etc nowadays.

People can't move away from their homes to find new work, unfortunately, because they can't sell their houses without losing everything. They may want to move, but they are stuck. It's not just because they don't want to move, if they leave they will be living in their cars.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Seriously, what areas of the country are crying for tradespeople? Not the largest and fastest growing areas (Arizona, etc.) People there are losing their recently-built houses, not fixing them up. Nobody can afford roofing, etc nowadays.

People can't move away from their homes to find new work, unfortunately, because they can't sell their houses without losing everything. They may want to move, but they are stuck. It's not just because they don't want to move, if they leave they will be living in their cars.
Well, I'm looking in the help wanted section of our local newspaper - there's still a bunch of jobs that aren't burger flipping. There are areas where jobs can be found - and I'm NOT talking about overly constructed areas like Arizona and Las Vegas. There are plenty of people who have their homes paid off or aren't struggling to pay a mortgage but have to do maintenance on their homes in order to keep them livable.

If someone is unemployed, chances are they're going to lose their home anyway. Not saying the whole family pick up roots and leave, but the breadwinner goes where work can be found. It's a hardship, but inertia is comfortable for only a little while.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton

Last edited by Princess Doreen : 12-31-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Keeneland

I agree it's complicated, it varies by area of the country, and there's certainly not one answer.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Please, we are a bit too smart to fall for this patriotic bullshi<t. You gave up 20 years of your life because it was a career path you chose. Let's call a spade a spade here. By your postings here we can go all in at 1 to 10 that college was never a realistic option. The military however was a choice where unless you totally fuc<k up will continue to pay a salary and provide an obscene retirement. Your job wasn't going to get outsourced or eliminated due to downsizing regardless of how well you performed in it. It was a very safe choice. So you post on here about all "worthless" folks collecting unemploymemt. Some of these folks have paid their SUI for 20-30 years but they are considered "worthless" to you because they won't take a minimum wage job to replace their 6 figure salary and instead continue to search. You continually complain about our debt yet find no problem whatsoever with governement pensions... You find no problem with someone who serves in the military for 20 years and collects 50% of their last paycheck for the next 45 years. You are exactly what is wrong with the country. Unwilling to see anything outside of their circumstances. I got mine fuc>k everyone else.
I wanted to go to college and couldn't afford the money to pay for it. I was told my Dad made too much money to get any financial aid. I wasn't going to stay at home and live off of my parents like other people like to do. As far as worthless unemployed people go time after time I have said they are the one's who are collecting that freebie while they are not pursuing a job. I did like the fact that I also had job security while in the military. No I don't have a problem collecting my pension. I EARNED IT!!!!!!!!! Be jealous at me that I collect a pension. I could give a F less about it. Between collecting my pension and work I can provide a decent living for my family, who come first. Why should I really care about anyone else? If I was too lose my job is anyone going to help me out? Is anyone going to help me with the cost of putting my son through college? No one is going to help me provide for myself and my family, so why should I care about the other person.

Last edited by Nascar1966 : 01-01-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
For your viewing pleasure, a textbook example of the right-wing mindset: I Got Mine; **** All The Rest of You. (IGMFALROY)
For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.graphicsdb.com/data/media...inger_baby.jpg
Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
So you disagree about our bloated government pensions? They are ok? Aren't you always screaming about our debt?
Im not saying I disagree with pensions. If a 401 will cut the national debt maybe this country should try it. Im sure the money saved will go to Obamacare. While people collecting Social Security get screwed. I wont say anything about the military and retiree's. Oh did I mention them. Sorry about mentioning them.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
I don't disagree with most of what you are saying. I know it's not going to set well with you, and you'll say it's all Bush's fault - but I just wonder when all this Hope/Change thing is going to start kicking in.
Im also wondering when it also will kick in. Blame it on Bush. Typical Democrat excuse.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar1966 View Post
That's too cute, NASCAR - but I think you're making your point the hard way.

Just sayin'!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone. We had such civil discourse yesterday on this topic. HOPE it can continue. I'm going for HOPE instead of CHANGE - unless it's that baby's diaper.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton

Last edited by Princess Doreen : 01-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
That's too cute, NASCAR - but I think you're making your point the hard way.

Just sayin'!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone. We had such civil discourse yesterday on this topic. HOPE it can continue. I'm going for HOPE instead of CHANGE - unless it's that baby's diaper.
Jeez I missed all the fun yesterday. Glad tonight will be my last night of work. Im also going for hope and not change. Hopefully change happens in Nov 2012.