Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Let's compare them. Durkin's Belmont

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Z49x11smk

Denman's Classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Et15M6wsPo

IMO one of them sounds like amateur hour.
My favorite comparison would be Denman in this year's classic to Durkin in the '87 classic.

Both races were extremely close races that easily lent themselves to possible fantastic race calls.
I thought Denman did okay.
Durkin hit it out of the park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8G8AR7TaM

But hey, not everybody can be Tom Durkin. He's the best.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Washington Park

Would have really loved to hear Durkin call one of those races.

Paraphrased:

And Zenyatta comes roaring off the turn, Blame takes the lead and draws clear. Lookin at Lucky weakening and Zenyatta, Mike Smith aboard attacks on the outside under a left hand whip, they're in the final furlong, Blame digs in, despeartely holding onto the lead, Zenyatta closing with one final acceleration......And Blame does it! If you have any doubt...Blame the winner.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Randwyck

^^^^ Great - love it!

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I do know that Durkin wouldn't have been screaming "Zenyatta" 806 times in the last 1/4 mile if he were calling the race. That alone is enough to make him superior to Denman.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Total aside, but talk about a horse who earned respect in defeat - that was Smarty Jones.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Lederman is great, I always enjoyed his calls.

Trevor just sounds to me like this is a job for him and he goes in and puts in his 5 hrs or whatever it may be then goes home. You're never going to get Trevor allowing people to go to his booth to raise money for charity. There's never going to be anything remarkable about one of his calls. Hell, he recycled his own call when Sidney's Candy won the SA Derby this year. Durkin would get lambasted if he used a cheesy line like "Eskendereya carrying the hopes of New York all the way to the Kentucky Derby."
Dude, Dorkin is the king of cheese.

That out of the way now, I don't know why people give a damn about callers.

Personally though, I think Denman in his day was much better than Dorkin ever was. His accuracy in calling the horses and telling you how they were going was something no other caller could touch.

Now though? Not so much.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Del Mar

Durkin can convey emotion in his voice in a way that nobody else can - like in the Birdstone call - it's not just pure disappointment like Denman's Blame call. Durkin gotten progressively worse with mispronouncing names and it seems like he's been having some voice problems for a while but, like others have said, his calls are far more interesting to listen to than Denman's 3 or 4 recycled calls.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Durkin can convey emotion in his voice in a way that nobody else can - like in the Birdstone call - it's not just pure disappointment like Denman's Blame call. Durkin gotten progressively worse with mispronouncing names and it seems like he's been having some voice problems for a while but, like others have said, his calls are far more interesting to listen to than Denman's 3 or 4 recycled calls.
Harry Carey?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post
Harry Carey?
Harry Caray?

I know who he was, but have never heard him. . . I was just talking about racing people anyways.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Harry Caray?

I know who he was, but have never heard him. . . I was just talking about racing people anyways.
I should of said he's turning into Harry Caray. You did say that "Durkin gotten progressively worse with mispronouncing names and it seems like he's been having some voice problems."
Old 11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
The Curragh

I liked Colmus' calls of the earlier races. Think he does a great job at all his tracks. Not too mention the "wife knows" call from this summer.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
I liked Colmus' calls of the earlier races. Think he does a great job at all his tracks. Not too mention the "wife knows" call from this summer.
Totally agree
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Sunshine Park

Denman said Tuesday from his farm in Minnesota

He has a farm in Minnesota?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vanderlay View Post
Denman said Tuesday from his farm in Minnesota

He has a farm in Minnesota?
I just read that article. I thought it was a pretty good read. The stuff how he watches the jockeys wrists and the horses ears, that used to really be apparent back in the day. He's the only announcer that you could trust if they reported on how your horse was moving (which always isn't easy to do yourself if the camera work isn't favorable).
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revidere View Post
Would have really loved to hear Durkin call one of those races.
Yeah. His responsibilities as the newly selected GOUT poster boy are taking time away from his ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRing.

Not to say the stumbling, bumbling, MUMBLING low-talker, Denman, is any better.

Get an accurate system in place and you can PERMANENTLY replace these IDIOTS with chicklets.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
5'8".. but all man!

If all race callers could be like Grunder, the world would be a better place.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Goodwood

How about having the jockeys wired up and have them each call their horse, in order of current running position, first to last?

Someone would be in charge of switching the audio from jock to jock and provide each jock with a little electrical shock to get them to say where they are and how they are doing.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
Announcers are all biased, you could hear Durkin's voice rise in excitement when Birdstone ran by Smarty Jones in the Belmont.
I thought it was hysterical when people said a grandstand never cheered harder for a horse in memory...completely forgetting the Smarty Jones fervor of just six years ago...ugh.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Sunshine Park

Given the time (fall 2001), the place (New York) and the circumstances that years Classic is the best ever. "Tiznow for America"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adFhb...eature=related
Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Suffolk Downs

It's been awhile since I've posted with you guys (although I have followed several threads recently), but I must support my fellow Durkin Dorks. Sure, on a daily basis he's getting increasingly inconsistent, but he is still the best at capturing all the elements of a big race in his calls. If I'm watching a race that has significance for that day, that year, and even years to come, Durkin is unmatched. Sure, not all of them are Legen - wait for it - Dary, but so many are. (That's for any of you HIMYM fans)

I hear many say how they can close their eyes with Trevor's calls. For me, that is fine if I'm listening to the race on the radio or online. However, I always watch the Breeders' Cup and Durkin fits better with the visuals. I figured I would grow to appreciate and like Denman's calls as well, but I have not. I can only think of one BC call from Trevor that really grabbed my attention - the 2007 Classic: "...In the race of the year, for Horse of the Year...". I think it may be one of the factors my joy of the event has diminished the past few years....and I am well aware of how ridiculous and idiotic that is!

When I think of Breeders' Cup history, I consider Durkin a part of those moments. Considering the historic horses and races Denman has had the honor of calling the past 5 Cups, I just can't connect him to any of those moments.