Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Should the "U" get the death penalty??

You have read the headlines.....73 players on the dole in last decade!
What to do about sports at Miami??
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Jerome Park

sure if they want to give the rest of division one college football the death penalty also.

this happens everywhere.

I feel bad for Al Golden though... maybe he wishes he stayed at Temple U!!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

They should get it, but they won't.

And I realize that there are plenty of shenanigans out there, but I'm pretty certain there are only so many schools where boosters are providing cash payments and hookers to players.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
They should get it, but they won't.

And I realize that there are plenty of shenanigans out there, but I'm pretty certain there are only so many schools where boosters are providing cash payments and hookers to players.
try every school in the SEC, ACC, Big East, Pac 12, Big 12, Big 10

whats the difference between hiring hookers and having big parties and supplying pretty, and easy, women?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM

I believe that stuff like this is widespread also but maybe not to the extent that it allegedly happened at Miami. I don't know if they should get the full penalty though because I think there has to be steps taken. I don't know exactly what penalties they've had their over the past years but I think you penalize in increments.

What's sad is that with all that supposedly happened, they didn't really gain a competitive edge on the field judging by their records and that's what the main point is in wanting this stuff stopped.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
sure if they want to give the rest of division one college football the death penalty also.

this happens everywhere.

I feel bad for Al Golden though... maybe he wishes he stayed at Temple U!!
I read that when he applied for the job they never told him that they were under investigation. I bet he'll ask next time.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Saratoga

What hypocrisy the players just might have a few grand and some pus.sy.

Those old white guys in charge will take care of that malfeasance.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
What hypocrisy the players just might have a few grand and some pus.sy.

Those old white guys in charge will take care of that malfeasance.

as the university profits off these athletes millions of times over.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 PM

I'm sorry, but do people really think every single major division one program has hookers, reproductive services, and SUV's available for their players? That's a pretty uneducated opinion.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

as the university profits off these athletes millions of times over.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I'm sorry, but do people really think every single major division one program has hookers, reproductive services, and SUV's available for their players? That's a pretty uneducated opinion.

That's stupid...of course not.

Only the top programs can afford this which is why they are among the top programs which is why when they get caught they vomit up words of ,"Oh mine Got!! We most stop this nonsense.We must put back integrity into winning at any cost."
Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
oh yeah? buy a clue

the only uneducated comment is yours. At least I've heard my information from people who have worked in major division one football programs.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That's stupid...of course not.

Only the top programs can afford this which is why they are among the top programs which is why when they get caught they vomit up words of ,"Oh mine Got!! We most stop this nonsense.We must put back integrity into winning at any cost."
exactly... those SEC, Pac 12, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC teams fight for recruits.

They dont sign them by offering them top academic programs.

Who knows, maybe Duke boosters don't give their football players boats n hoes... but what about that basketball program?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
exactly... those SEC, Pac 12, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC teams fight for recruits.

They dont sign them by offering them top academic programs.

Oh you are kidding me!!

Who knows, maybe Duke boosters don't give their football players boats n hoes... but what about that basketball program?

!!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
The dope game didn't end with the death of Tony Montana in "Scarface." It did not become more honorable, less violent.

The people who piously believe the corruption at Miami is somehow worse than the corruption in Columbus or Austin or Muncie or Boise or Durham are fooling themselves. It's all relative. You move Ohio State or Kansas or Ball State or Duke to within a 15-minute drive of the South Beach nightclubs, the Miami strip clubs and all the super-wealthy sports fans/groupies wanting to live vicariously through celebrity athletes, and Uncle Luke and Lil Madoff would befriend Buckeyes, Jayhawks, Blue Devils and Cardinals.

There's a Nevin Shapiro knockoff on every campus. He might not own a yacht or have easy access to hookers, but he supplies in abundance whatever decadence Iowa City has to offer.

The people shocked and surprised by the Yahoo! Sports story have never visited South Beach or stepped inside a Miami gentlemen's club. Tricking (and treating) is part of Miami culture, perhaps even more so than Las Vegas. The allegation that Shapiro provided the players with prostitutes sounds absolutely scandalous unless you've socialized extensively in Miami. In all likelihood, Shapiro mostly threw parties and invited girls who work at the plethora of strip clubs. In other words, he invited the same local girls who frequent the plethora of "legit" nightclubs in South Beach. Maybe cash exchanged hands, but it is not difficult to find attractive, loose women in Miami willing to hook up with potential pro athletes.

http://foxvzw-sports.mobile.msn.com/...fid=0&pg1=2501
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM

Really? So you're saying that a player attending Penn State or Missouri is getting treated to hookers and other payments that should make them otherwise ineligible? I know you don't believe that, antitrust.

Clearly, there are dirty programs (Miami has always been one of them). And naturally, lots of college coaches play on the edges. But there's literally a 0.0000001 percent chance that there are many college programs out there with the "benefits" University of Miami players are alleged to have received. You really think that widespread use of hookers and blow throughout the college game would somehow not be uncovered, especially considering the scandals at USC, North Carolina, Ohio State, and now Miami over the last four to five years?

Selling a couple jerseys (AJ Green) or gold pants (tOSU) is in a whole different ballpark than what Nevin Shapiro is alleging.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
oh yeah? buy a clue

the only uneducated comment is yours. At least I've heard my information from people who have worked in major division one football programs.
I'd love to hear of the folks you know who've worked in major division one football programs. Presuming you won't name a team, what conference? Big 10? Big 12? Big East? That would make for some interesting discussion.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Saratoga

I remember the Notre Dame cougar who was fucl<ing recruits like there was no tomorrow. She was on their staff.....so yes, I also think all kinds of things go on.It's a case of don't ask--don't tell.I would not be surprised if the ncaa's infractions investigators don't take a piece of the action..on a here and there basis of course.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Nothing would surprise me after the Cam Newton decision last year. A guy's pops can shop his services all over the SEC, but as long as the player plays dumb, it's not a violation? Riiiiiiight.

Anyway, sincerely not saying that shady dealings don't happen everywhere, but the Miami shady dealings are infinitely more shady than 99.3 percent of most college scandals out there. On a lot of levels, it's got to be more offensive than what SMU did in the mid to late 80's to warrant the original "death penalty."
Old 08-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I'd love to hear of the folks you know who've worked in major division one football programs. Presuming you won't name a team, what conference? Big 10? Big 12? Big East? That would make for some interesting discussion.
Big East... thats as far as I'll take it though.

believe me, recruits from most all big schools are supplied girls. You really think that Shapiro stopped off in Hialeah and picked up some crack whores on the side of the street for the players to run trains on? A booster that throws a party and pays strippers to party with the players doesnt just happen in South Beach.

did you read the article I posted? I think it explains it very well. "There is a Nevin Shapiro knock off on every campus"

My father says there is no way Penn State would ever be involved in stuff like that because he has a ton of respect for Joe Pa... but IMO thats just turning a blind eye because you like someone. He also thinks Phillies players didnt use steriods back in the day. Wasnt Penn State winning a ton of games back in the 80's and 90's when the cheating was as bad as its ever been?