Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 AM
Steve Byk

Default 8/10-11 (SAR): Fourstardave (G2); Adirondack, SAR Special (G2's)

9th (5:12) Auntie Mame S.

1 1/16 Miles (Turf) | Fillies | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Joy Prado E S 122 L
2 Praia Garcia Alan 118 L
3 Unbelievable Dream Velasquez C 122 L
4 Bella Castani Lezcano J 122 L
5 Hedonemewrongsong Saez L 118
6 Effie Trinket Rosario J 122 L
7 Silsita Velazquez J R 122 L
8 Summer of Fun Rocco J S Jr 118
9 Barbie Wire Castellano J J 118 L
10 Fab Flowers Ortiz J L 118 L
AE Magnificent Shirl Ortiz I Jr 118 L
AE Justoneatheguys Alvarado J 118 L
MTO Skyfall No Rider 118 L
MTO Flash Forward Ortiz I Jr 118 L

10th (5:45) Fourstardave H. (G2)

1 Mile (Inner turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $500,000

1 Wise Dan Velazquez J R 129 L
2 Skyring Alvarado J 118 L
3 Za Approval Lezcano J 118 L
4 Mr. Commons Prado E S 117 L
5 Willyconker (IRE) Ortiz J L 115 L
6 King Kreesa Ortiz I Jr 117 L
7 Lea Rosario J 117 L
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM
The Curragh

129 huh? Good for you Saratoga, let's see how good he really is.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
129 huh? Good for you Saratoga, let's see how good he really is.
So beating two of the top Euro milers not named Frankel and Animal Kingdom last BC wasn't enough to prove he was good?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
So beating two of the top Euro milers not named Frankel and Animal Kingdom last BC wasn't enough to prove he was good?
He did beat Animal Kingdom.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
The Curragh

I think you missed the point.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:

I think it was read incorrectly by Pat.

So beating two of the top Euro milers not named Frankel -------

---and Animal Kingdom last BC wasn't enough to prove he was good?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
I think you missed the point.
So beating Za Approval and King Kreesa, albeit under a heavy impost, will stamp him as legitimately good? I know some people aren't pleased he hasn't chosen spots like the Million or Foster, but I don't think this horse needs to prove anything more than he already has to prove that he is damned good.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Steve Byk

SUNDAY 9th (5:12) Adirondack S. (G2)

6 1/2 Furlongs | Fillies | 2 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $200,000

1 Untapable Napravnik R 118 L
2 Fiftyshadesofgold Lanerie C J 122 L
3 Thank You Marylou Garcia Alan 122 L
4 Who's in Town Rosario J 120
5 Designer Legs Bridgmohan S X 122 L
6 Charmed Hour Velazquez J R 118
7 Hop the Six Prado E S 120 L

SUNDAY 10th (5:45) Saratoga Special S. (G2)

6 1/2 Furlongs | Open | 2 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $200,000

1 Lunarwarfare Leyva J C 118 L
2 Ogermeister Ortiz J L 118 L
3 Candy Dandy Napravnik R 118 L
4 Corfu Velazquez J R 118 L
5 Twang Rosario J 118
6 Danza Castellano J J 122 L
7 Wired Bryan Bridgmohan S X 122 L
Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
So beating Za Approval and King Kreesa, albeit under a heavy impost, will stamp him as legitimately good? I know some people aren't pleased he hasn't chosen spots like the Million or Foster, but I don't think this horse needs to prove anything more than he already has to prove that he is damned good.
Not even being critical of horse or connections. Just applauding the track for assigning the proper handicap when most would be afraid to for fear of them pulling out. Settle down Francis.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Flemington

Im taking another stab with Lea and maybe a little Za Approval. No one is going to just let JV in or out, just like last time. Lea is improving so is Za Approval. Ill admit, its a stretch, but he will be 1-5. Why not end the pick 3's with those 2 and see if you can cash big?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Flemington

I didn't bet her, but it doesn't look like Who's In Town should come down. Lanerie tried to go through a non-existant hole and Who's ping-ponged off Designer Legs and Fifty.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Flemington

Ugh.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
I didn't bet her, but it doesn't look like Who's In Town should come down. Lanerie tried to go through a non-existant hole and Who's ping-ponged off Designer Legs and Fifty.
Huh? It was pretty obvious to me she was coming down. I thought it as it was happening. That hole wasn't non-existent. Fiftyshadesofgold was in the process of going through it when it closed. You can't just do that and expect to stay up. I was so busy thinking about that, I didn't see what was going on with Charmed Hour. Probably a good thing because that sounded really brutal.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Churchill Downs

Valene Farms won the Adirondack with Asta's Foxy Lady, another Labred, 20 years ago.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Huh? It was pretty obvious to me she was coming down. I thought it as it was happening. That hole wasn't non-existent. Fiftyshadesofgold was in the process of going through it when it closed. You can't just do that and expect to stay up. I was so busy thinking about that, I didn't see what was going on with Charmed Hour. Probably a good thing because that sounded really brutal.
I thought the 4 should not have been taken down. Seemed to me that Lanerie first went for a hole that did not exist, then the 4 drifted out and the hole opened and Lanerie went for it but the 4 did come back over with the 5 pushing the 4 even further in. It was a tough call and I am not sure the 2 would have won going through what was barely a hole regardless.

Regardless, it is rare that you see a jock taken advantage of as badly as Lanerie was there and the truth is he should not have been in that position in the first place. He had plenty of time around the turn to get that horse out and probably wins the race if he does. That honestly was one of the worst rides I have ever seen by a jockey and Lanerie really should not get a quality mount at the Spa IMO.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth View Post
Valene Farms won the Adirondack with Asta's Foxy Lady, another Labred, 20 years ago.
Astas Foxy Lady was one of the horses I got attached to back then. Heard her name in a race call and locked in. Sad to see that she had a few years of being bred with no foals, then a few now where she's not showing up as having been bred. I don't know if she was pensioned or what. I assume at her age it wouldn't make sense to keep trying. Anybody know where she is?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
I thought the 4 should not have been taken down. Seemed to me that Lanerie first went for a hole that did not exist, then the 4 drifted out and the hole opened and Lanerie went for it but the 4 did come back over with the 5 pushing the 4 even further in. It was a tough call and I am not sure the 2 would have won going through what was barely a hole regardless.

Regardless, it is rare that you see a jock taken advantage of as badly as Lanerie was there and the truth is he should not have been in that position in the first place. He had plenty of time around the turn to get that horse out and probably wins the race if he does. That honestly was one of the worst rides I have ever seen by a jockey and Lanerie really should not get a quality mount at the Spa IMO.
Pretty much my thoughts on the situation as well.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post

Well, Moss, Pincay, and Bailey all seemed to think it was obvious the 4 was coming down. A lot of 'no surprise' comments. It felt like a matter of time before she did to me. Obviously the 5 stayed up, and I'd have to go back and watch him again, but wouldn't shock me if he came over trying to keep the 4 from letting the 2 go through. You know he could see her down there starting to push. Do it just enough to not get busted for interference, other guy gets blamed, your horse wins.

Watching the replay and head on, there was absolutely a hole there. Not a giant one, but enough for him to go through and, this is key, one that he was in the process of going through when contact occurred. A horse's body was partially in the space. You don't get to close off the hole. Too late. It's not Lanarie's fault Rosario can't keep his mount on the rail. We can agree to disagree, but I felt Fiftyshadesofgold could've won or if nothing else would've fairly close and on the board even if the others dug in. She deserved an on the board finish and lost momentum. No way does she finish 4th but for the interference.

Horses can and do push their way through, creating holes out of little room. See Wise Dan last time out. Does a horse less physically substantial than Union Rags come up through the rail in the Belmont? We're talking a 2yo filly here. No surprise that she didn't try to muscle on through. I really hope this doesn't make her shy about going up the inside in the future.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Idlewild Airport

I have zero problem with the takedown....now the ride of Fifty, that's another story
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Idlewild Airport

In fact regarding the takedown, I think he should get days for that ride...and will