Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Dude, I might want to try another profession? You are a confirmed chalk eating weasel who was full of bravado after any obvious short priced horse you liked won and were absent for DAYS after your mediocre opinions were exposed in the BC. Please.

But, furthermore, the rest of your post pretty much confirmed what I said. He ran a very good race despite everything not going his way. If you think cruising to the lead against High Cotton is the same as cruising to the lead against the likes of Brother Derek and Lava Man, among others, you are dramatically mistaken. You are the one that misevaluated this horse for months, said things that turned out to simply not be true, and are now acting like he wasn't himself because he was finally presented with a reasonably difficult challenge? Get real. The simple fact is he is the same good horse now that he was a month ago. He was never going to run faster if pressed, as you basically guaranteed, and he was never as good as the likes of Ghostzapper as you also claimed. Constantly suggesting horses that you were wrong about " didn't run their race " is NOT going to get you far. Ya know, even good handicappers are wrong most of the time.
I still think he was a better horse than Ghostzapper but we only got to see half of the show, as he projected to be a better 4-year-old with his pedigree and a little more seasoning. And yes, I avoided the sharks in the water like you who get off on trying to prove people wrong. Anyone who can really analyze a race whose opinions I value have all agreed that the horse didn't fire his best shot and still only got beat a length....far more nice horses didn't fire thier best shots in the race and still got beat a lot worse in the race....

Oh, and he cruised by a loose Wanderin Boy with ease last out and that horse is faster than Brother Derek FYI.....You should know that being a Zito fanatic...

Its a good thing you didn't take me up on the handicap-off last weekend as you had better done exceptionally well to win that one.....(since you had SO much to lose )
Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
bern was all out and got beat ...hes a good horse who qot get beat by a fresher very nice horse who moved at the right time....there was no looking in the eye..javy didnt see him till he moved past..do i think if they raced in three weeks time who would win ..it would be bern....but invasor is a very nice horse who should get the credit and the cash...they had a game plan and it worked..
I couldn't disagree more.
Invasor's "cough" made it very hard to have Invasor ready to race. 3 months and a few days layoff is the longest layoff in the history of the BCC for a winner. Extremely hard for any horse to run that well off that kinda layoff. Fresh is one thing, but 3 months goes beyond fresh and edges into too much time off.
Bern got his perfect prep, and had no excuses not to be top notch.
If they raced again in a month all it would do would increase the margin of victory by Invasor as he would be totally fit and tight. Theres only so much you can simulate and do in the mornings, and he still managed to grab him easily.
No shame in running 2nd to a horse like that.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Flower ran a better race last year in the BCC than Bern did. No doubt about that in my mind. The fact that he didn't go on at age four doesn't change what he did at age three. YOu can't use his four year old year as a basis to change what he did in the Classic.
Bern beat up on bad or injured horses with no traffic in small fields and more importantly what I saw as very slow pace figures, and his two biggest victories came when his main rivals broke down or were injured. I will say that perhaps if he had a gut wrencher prior to the BC that he may not have run better than he did and perhaps had he been allowed to race at age 4, he would have joined the elite.
But I really didn't like the way he reacted when Invasor came to him, and I think he had a great trip getting first run at the speed while making a turn move that is usually a successful knockout punch in many situations.
Turns are hard on some horses to truly accelerate on, and usually if someone makes a big turn move the competition is screwed because they have to straighten away in the lane before they can get a run on the leader who has already assumed an advantage with both the lead and a full head of steam.
Invasor's ears flipped forward when he came to Bern, and he was having a ball out there.
Perhaps its his humble beginnings in South America, perhaps its his non flashy pedigree, perhaps its because his trainer hadn't been considered a big race trainer prior to this year, but for whatever reason people are finding it hard to accept that he won, and much more impressively than the winning margin would indicate.
Mike, you know as well as I do that I liked Invasor better than Bernardini in the classic (as we discussed), but I won't take it away from Bernardini that he is a much better horse than I thought originally. Is he the greatest horse of all time? Of course not, but I do think he would have had a great shot of proving to be one of the top horses next year.
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Can't we get back to talking about how much Scat Daddy sucks?
He'll be off the triple crown trail by march. His two year old campaign was brutal.
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

its on now....and yes scat daddy isnt that great...
Old 11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
its on now....and yes scat daddy isnt that great...

Your funny hooves! And yes, Scat Daddy isn't that great and I agree with Pillow Pants, no way is he around for the derby.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Cunningham Racing

<<<Blackthroatedwind typing in progress>>>
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I couldn't disagree more.
Invasor's "cough" made it very hard to have Invasor ready to race. 3 months and a few days layoff is the longest layoff in the history of the BCC for a winner. Extremely hard for any horse to run that well off that kinda layoff. Fresh is one thing, but 3 months goes beyond fresh and edges into too much time off.
Bern got his perfect prep, and had no excuses not to be top notch.
If they raced again in a month all it would do would increase the margin of victory by Invasor as he would be totally fit and tight. Theres only so much you can simulate and do in the mornings, and he still managed to grab him easily.
No shame in running 2nd to a horse like that.
wrong...he looked very well in his stall on jcgc day..what about his race vs sun king not exactly a monster effort...
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Your funny hooves! And yes, Scat Daddy isn't that great and I agree with Pillow Pants, no way is he around for the derby.
Sure he will be around for the Derby (unless he gets hurt). Look who owns him--you think they are going to pass the Derby. They already have enough graded earnings. Pletcher and Tabor have two big of egos not to run this horse in the Derby. If he is healthy, he is running.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Mike, you know as well as I do that I liked Invasor better than Bernardini in the classic (as we discussed), but I won't take it away from Bernardini that he is a much better horse than I thought originally. Is he the greatest horse of all time? Of course not, but I do think he would have had a great shot of proving to be one of the top horses next year.
Agree with everything you just said. Hes better than I thought he was. He definitely would have been great at age four. But hes no Invasor.
Amazing that the longest layoff in BCC history by far preceding a win by a horse in the race gets so little mention. Fresh? Well in a sprint race where they only have to be fit enough to go 6f perhaps it could be construed as an advantage to have three months off.
But a mile and a quarter is still a mile and a quarter, and no way could Invasor have been as tight as he would have been had he not "coughed" prior to the JCGC. He was the one who was at the disadvantge, not Bern.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
I still think he was a better horse than Ghostzapper but we only got to see half of the show, as he projected to be a better 4-year-old with his pedigree and a little more seasoning. And yes, I avoided the sharks in the water like you who get off on trying to prove people wrong. Anyone who can really analyze a race whose opinions I value have all agreed that the horse didn't fire his best shot and still only got beat a length....far more nice horses didn't fire thier best shots in the race and still got beat a lot worse in the race....

Oh, and he cruised by a loose Wanderin Boy with ease last out and that horse is faster than Brother Derek FYI.....You should know that being a Zito fanatic...

Its a good thing you didn't take me up on the handicap-off last weekend as you had better done exceptionally well to win that one.....(since you had SO much to lose )
You will never get it Joel, as you are so caught up in taking things personally, that you will never see what is really going on. You earned a coward's reputation because you constantly patted yourself on the back when right, your behavoir after the Champagne was appalling, and then scurried off when wrong. NOBODY knocks those who come back contrite and discuss things objectively. However, considering your past exploits, ignoring all the BC results, and then claiming " the real horses didn't show up " days later as though THAT is an intelligent dissection of the race just isn't going to suffice.

And then you make some silly Wanderin' boy-Zito reference as though ANYBODY ever believed or suggested Wanderin' Boy was in his league. That is what....a pathetic attempt to get my goat? Didn't work. Stick to the REAL issue. If you think Wanderin' Boy is a " faster horse " than Brother Derek then your opinion is even worse than I thought.

As for your final paragraph....you don't get anything do you. You have a lot to prove....not me.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Balletto

Quote:
<<<Blackthroatedwind typing in progress>>>
No need to bait Joel... when are you going to Kee Nov?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 AM
oracle80

Quote:
wrong...he looked very well in his stall on jcgc day..what about his race vs sun king not exactly a monster effort...
Why is that? Because Sun King didn't go on? I've always said on here that I think that school of thought is completely invalid, not just in this case. You can't use races going forward to change an effort and its validity in the past. Sun King ran the race of his career that day and it was a corker. The fact that he didn't repeat it doesn't change what he did anymore than what Flower Alley did miserably this year changes his great race last year in the BCC.
Was Sun King great? No. But he showed flashes of greatness in his career and on Whitney Day ran the race of his life.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Sure he will be around for the Derby (unless he gets hurt). Look who owns him--you think they are going to pass the Derby. They already have enough graded earnings. Pletcher and Tabor have two big of egos not to run this horse in the Derby. If he is healthy, he is running.
BTW, I think the earnings picture is going to be very interesting for the Derby next year. With the BC Juvenile purse being $2 million it puts the top four in. Now the Delta Jackpot is a G3 so that $1 million race will get 2-3 horses in. The Blue Grass could put some unexpected horses in the race if turfy 3yos point there. Not to mention that any of the top three fillies from the BC Juv Fillies would have enough earnings if they wanted to run (God I hope not). I have a feeling we could see a horse with right around $200,000 in graded stakes earnings get shut out of the field this year.

Quote:
well mike again your thinking that invasor was the better horse from the get go is a joke ..if you where in keirens shoes would you wait till the big prize and a larger field or take your shot at the jcgc..with 4 horses...again im listeneing...keep in mind you got your tips from the jiffy lube ...
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce

OK maybe I should have said "HE SHOULDN'T BE AROUND FOR THE DERBY"
Old 11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
You will never get it Joel, as you are so caught up in taking things personally, that you will never see what is really going on. You earned a coward's reputation because you constantly patted yourself on the back when right, your behavoir after the Champagne was appalling, and then scurried off when wrong. NOBODY knocks those who come back contrite and discuss things objectively. However, considering your past exploits, ignoring all the BC results, and then claiming " the real horses didn't show up " days later as though THAT is an intelligent dissection of the race just isn't going to suffice.

And then you make some silly Wanderin' boy-Zito reference as though ANYBODY ever believed or suggested Wanderin' Boy was in his league. That is what....a pathetic attempt to get my goat? Didn't work. Stick to the REAL issue. If you think Wanderin' Boy is a " faster horse " than Brother Derek then your opinion is even worse than I thought.

As for your final paragraph....you don't get anything do you. You have a lot to prove....not me.
Nah, nothing to prove to anyone....I have what I want in this game and I am very satisfied. I'd match my knowledge, instincts and horsemanship with yours ANYDAY of the week and I am significantly younger.....whats there to prove to a guy like you who is scared to put his money where his mouth is?....nada....just keep chirping and blowing hard about your percieved credability...

The fact is that I've still yet to meet people who have even heard of you, which says a lot to me....

Last edited by Cunningham Racing : 11-08-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
oracle80

Quote:
well mike again your thinking that invasor was the better horse from the get go is a joke ..if you where in keirens shoes would you wait till the big prize and a larger field or take your shot at the jcgc..with 4 horses...again im listeneing...keep in mind you got your tips from the jiffy lube ...
No Hooves, you don't get it. I don't think he "passed" the JCGC, they wanted to run.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:

The fact is that I've still yet to meet people who have even heard of you, which says a lot to me....

It certainly says a lot about the people you have met.

And, frankly, who cares?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Coach Pants