Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Who is the Horse of The Year
Rachel Alexandra 114 52.78%
Zenyatta 102 47.22%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Idlewild Airport

Default Who Is Horse Of The Year?

Might as well have a poll here to see where the board stands.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Idlewild Airport

Bumpity bump.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Fairgrounds

I guess you voted Rachel because they are tied now.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Arlington Park

I'm surprised thus far, I thought RA would be 75% to Z's 25% when this poll was started, looks like the BC did have an impact on people.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I'm surprised thus far, I thought RA would be 75% to Z's 25% when this poll was started, looks like the BC did have an impact on people.
The RA people in here are just more vocal.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
The RA people in here are just more vocal.
Tell me about it.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Churchill Downs

I posted this link in the other HOY thread, but it will get lost in the Coach Pants-Revidere race to the bottom.

What Jerry Brown has to say about the HOY debate.

http://www.thorograph.com/phorum/rea...5230#msg-55230
Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I thought this post was interesting:

Re: Okay, look. (235 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:33PM

Michael-- based on Rachel's top (3) as a 2yo on poly, if she had come into the race rested, at weight for age, I would have laid about as much of that 1/5 as anyone wanted to take. That would have been all-in time for me.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Tell me about it.
And they're right.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
And they're right.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Idlewild Airport

It really isn't much of a debate. Was Raven's Pass the Horse of The Year last year....or Well Armed this year....I love Zenyatta but her campaign doesn't even come close to Rachel's.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
It really isn't much of a debate. Was Raven's Pass the Horse of The Year last year....or Well Armed this year....I love Zenyatta but her campaign doesn't even come close to Rachel's.
CSC is not debating, he's Rachel hating. Hes already been exposed, the hating started last summer. I think that one of Jackson's wines game him a tummy ache or Assman snubed him for an autograph at the track.
We all know Rachel deserves HOY, there shouldn't even be a discussion.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar311
CSC is not debating, he's Rachel hating. Hes already been exposed, the hating started last summer. I think that one of Jackson's wines game him a tummy ache or Assman snubed him for an autograph at the track.
We all know Rachel deserves HOY, there shouldn't even be a discussion.
Funny how anyone who doesn't agree with the notion that RA is the definitive HOY is termed a 'hater'. I don't see this sort of defensive mechanism from the Zenyatta backers. What does this speak of to some of her fanbase?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Funny how anyone who doesn't agree with the notion that RA is the definitive HOY is termed a 'hater'. I don't see this sort of defensive mechanism from the Zenyatta backers. What does this speak of some of her fanbase?
Even more odd, what does it say about those of us who appreciate both?

I wish the Eclipse vote was tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Funny how anyone who doesn't agree with the notion that RA is the definitive HOY is termed a 'hater'. I don't see this sort of defensive mechanism from the Zenyatta backers. What does this speak of to some of her fanbase?
Seriously, dude? Every post of yours about Rachel Alexandra, whether comparing her to Summer Bird pre-Breeders Cup or Zenyatta post, has been the epitome of defense mechanism.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Idlewild Airport

How does thinking Rachel was obviously horse of the year mean you don't appreciate both? Of course I appreciate a horse like Zenyatta. I love her....but the question is not who has the biggest cheering section, its who was Horse of the Year. And that is clearly Rachel for 2009.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
You have to admit, you openly questioned whether she was better than Summer Bird even after she destroyed him in the Haskell. You've constantly nit-picked her campaign and went so far as to say her resume should be downgraded a tad because she didn't run in the Derby for her prior connections.

It's one thing to think she's the definitive pick for HOTY, it's another to think Zenyatta is, but both of their accomplishments speak for themselves. I think it's a little too convenient for you, or anyone else who engages in it, to question why Rachel ran in the Preakness rather than Belmont and the Woodward rather than Travers but just assume that Zenyatta gets a pass on the joke of a schedule she had because she won the Classic.

NT
Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Oaklawn

Ultimately, I think it's a question of whether or not you want to call it Horse of the Year, or Horse of the Race. Horse of the Year is Rachel Alexandra, for she did amazing things throughout the year. Horse of the Race is Zenyatta, because she won the big race of the season.

I think the kicker is that Eclipse Awards go well beyond 'What have you done for me lately?' People are also forgetting the impact Rachel Alexandra had when she did her thing and how she was a hot topic on Twitter, ESPN and on the front pages of newspapers.

Also, testing an older filly/mare against males is not as bold and exciting as testing a 3-year-old filly against older males. That's insane... we'll probably never see that again.

Season ending honors are about results and the big picture. I give Zenyatta double bonus points for winning the BC Classic, but Rachel won the Preakness, Haskell and Woodward. She traveled, she tried and she conquered. The race is a photo finish but Rachel's nose is down first... Zenyatta closed hard, but needed one more jump to get there.

Yeah, if there ever was a year for co-Horse of the Years, this is it. But by doing so you do recognize a horse for having never left her comfort zone. Kind of risky, but forgettable. You also recognize a horse for skipping the championships, kind of lame, but understandable.

Interestingly, how big does the scratch at Churchill seem now. If Zenyatta had won on Derby weekend, what does that do to this debate? Interesting stuff to consider.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
that guy looks like McChoke a lil
Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
Even more odd, what does it say about those of us who appreciate both?

I wish the Eclipse vote was tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
You have to admit, you openly questioned whether she was better than Summer Bird even after she destroyed him in the Haskell. You've constantly nit-picked her campaign and went so far as to say her resume should be downgraded a tad because she didn't run in the Derby for her prior connections.

It's one thing to think she's the definitive pick for HOTY, it's another to think Zenyatta is, but both of their accomplishments speak for themselves. I think it's a little too convenient for you, or anyone else who engages in it, to question why Rachel ran in the Preakness rather than Belmont and the Woodward rather than Travers but just assume that Zenyatta gets a pass on the joke of a schedule she had because she won the Classic.

NT

I've always maintained what RA had accomplished up until Sept 5 was HOY worthy, my beef if you can call it a beef is I only wish she had raced the entire year where most horses are primed for a championship run, or more precisely in the JCGC or the BC. Up until that point she was the deserved choice for HOY barring a performance that could supercede her resume later in the yr. This is the chance her connections took when you call it a year with almost 4 months left on the racing calendar, well to be more accurate 3 months and 3 weeks, I don't see the hate in this thinking, I saw that performance from Zenyatta last Saturday and she would be my vote not only because I believe she would have beaten RA(yeah I know we will never know, but she didn't run for whatever reasons you want to believe) in the Classic had she run but the way in which she won the race, which was very decisive.