Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Steve Byk

Default 6/13 (SA): Shoemaker Mile (G1), Adoration (G3)

5th (2:30) Shoemaker Mile S. (G1)

1 Mile (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 Winning Prize (ARG) Garcia M 119 Blk-On L
2 Talco (FR) Bejarano R 119 L
3 Midnight Storm Baze T C 119 L
4 Seek Again Lezcano J 119 L
5 Bal a Bali (BRZ) Prat F 119 L

8th (4:00) Adoration S. (G3)

1 1/16 Miles | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 My Monet Nicolas G 119 L
2 Grandiose Tactics Van Dyke D 119 L
3 Cast in Silver Prat F 119 L
4 Beholder Stevens G L 121 L
5 Warren's Veneda Baze T C 124 L
6 Wild in the Saddle Bejarano R 119 L
7 Oscar Party Gonzalez S 119 Blk-On L
Old 06-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
5th (2:30) Shoemaker Mile S. (G1)

1 Mile (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 Winning Prize (ARG) Garcia M 119 Blk-On L
2 Talco (FR) Bejarano R 119 L
3 Midnight Storm Baze T C 119 L
4 Seek Again Lezcano J 119 L
5 Bal a Bali (BRZ) Prat F 119 L

8th (4:00) Adoration S. (G3)

1 1/16 Miles | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 My Monet Nicolas G 119 L
2 Grandiose Tactics Van Dyke D 119 L
3 Cast in Silver Prat F 119 L
4 Beholder Stevens G L 121 L
5 Warren's Veneda Baze T C 124 L
6 Wild in the Saddle Bejarano R 119 L
7 Oscar Party Gonzalez S 119 Blk-On L
Great mile race on the grass. From top to bottom each can win on their best day with a trip. Good luck to Beholder on her comeback...
Old 06-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Washington Park

Great Shoe Mile. Talco wins with beautiful set up at 13-1 over stubborn Midnight Storm. Bal a Bali wastes a perfect trip and fades to last.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Great Shoe Mile. Talco wins with beautiful set up at 13-1 over stubborn Midnight Storm. Bal a Bali wastes a perfect trip and fades to last.
Well, at least California Chrome's turf form was boosted a little this week even if he doesn't run at Ascot.

Seriously, though, the turf division, especially in CA, could use some fresh imports. Winning Prize and Seek Again are toast and Bal A Bali always seemed suspect after his foot issues. Maybe he deserves another chance, but I won't hold my breath.

Over on the distance side, you have Cal-bred allowance horse Ashleyluvsugar and the cut-below Finnegans Wake ruling the roost.

Not sure what's around in New York, but I sure hope Coolmore can dig up a Cape Blanco or Powerscourt type to make things interesting this summer. Slumber was supposed to be good like 3 years ago. Little late now to think he'll have any consistency despite the big win at Belmont. Imagining and Twilight Eclipse are long in the tooth as well.

Or maybe Bolo can be the next Manila or at least Sunshine Forever.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Well, at least California Chrome's turf form was boosted a little this week even if he doesn't run at Ascot.

Seriously, though, the turf division, especially in CA, could use some fresh imports. Winning Prize and Seek Again are toast and Bal A Bali always seemed suspect after his foot issues. Maybe he deserves another chance, but I won't hold my breath.

Over on the distance side, you have Cal-bred allowance horse Ashleyluvsugar and the cut-below Finnegans Wake ruling the roost.

Not sure what's around in New York, but I sure hope Coolmore can dig up a Cape Blanco or Powerscourt type to make things interesting this summer. Slumber was supposed to be good like 3 years ago. Little late now to think he'll have any consistency despite the big win at Belmont. Imagining and Twilight Eclipse are long in the tooth as well.

Main Sequence will obviously be a major player if he returns at the same level. I'm also of the opinion that Divisidero has the potential to make noise, even against elders later in the year.

Otherwise, the division is dreadful.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Washington Park

Quote:

One thing i will comment on about the Shoe Mile, everyone had a chance. The pace was legit with Winning Prize adding the blinks, and Midnight Storm pressing the issue. You are probably right in assessing the quality of turf horses on the west coast. At least were seeing fairly run races, unlike the grab fest debacles of the east coast races.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
One thing i will comment on about the Shoe Mile, everyone had a chance. The pace was legit with Winning Prize adding the blinks, and Midnight Storm pressing the issue. You are probably right in assessing the quality of turf horses on the west coast. At least were seeing fairly run races, unlike the grab fest debacles of the east coast races.
The irony of your analysis is that there was a bit of a scuffle following the Shoemaker Mile, involving Winning Prize's jockey Martin Garcia, and the connections of the well-backed Midnight Storm.

Apparently the latter thought that the former should have not disputed the pace. How they could not anticipate Winning Prize, who was switching to speed rider Garcia, adding blinkers, and previously won a Grade 1 on the same course at the same distance in wire-to-wire fashion, going straight to the front is beyond me.

Maybe they felt in the wake of American Pharoah, all sons of Pioneerof The Nile henceforth are deserved of cakewalk strolls on the front end.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
The irony of your analysis is that there was a bit of a scuffle following the Shoemaker Mile, involving Winning Prize's jockey Martin Garcia, and the connections of the well-backed Midnight Storm.

Apparently the latter thought that the former should have not disputed the pace. How they could not anticipate Winning Prize, who was switching to speed rider Garcia, adding blinkers, and previously won a Grade 1 on the same course at the same distance in wire-to-wire fashion, going straight to the front is beyond me.

Maybe they felt in the wake of American Pharoah, all sons of Pioneerof The Nile henceforth are deserved of cakewalk strolls on the front end.
Ha Ha..Maybe the connections of Midnight Storm should subscribe to Timeformus, who had Winning Prize as their leader on pace projector. Seriously though, it was quite obvious of Winning Prizes' intentions.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

A poorly veiled cheap shot at a legendary colt. AP is substantial
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
A poorly veiled cheap shot at a legendary colt. AP is substantial
I'll settle for this over an unintelligible rant about Ironicus.

Honestly, I thought my passing reference to Imagining would be enough to keep you at bay.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

Honestly, I thought my passing reference to Imagining would be enough to keep you at bay.
Not a big Imagining fan I think he is the hallmark for ordinary types. It's amazing how much Shug has gotten out of him. Ironicus could be a much better will see
Old 06-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Freddy is very selective as to which overhyped horses to defend.