Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Hawkish

Future turf superstar for Toner.
Gulfstream race 6 today. Just rolled home.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Newmarket

acted up loading, raced greenly ..... nice effort @ 10-1

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Jerome Park

Superstar?

Please stop.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Future turf superstar for Toner.
Gulfstream race 6 today. Just rolled home.
Looks like a gangly goofy horse who they had a hard time getting to the races. Very impressive stride and if he can stay sound may be a good one. Hopefully doesn't end up like dozens other with great potential who never delivered.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Superstar?

Please stop.
He's the next Analyze It.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:34 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Superstar?

Please stop.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
He's the next Analyze It.

I was just starting to like you.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I was just starting to like you.
I've always liked you.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Steve Byk

75 Beyer
Old 04-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Monster.
Belmont Derby winner or runner up behind that Chad monster.
Either way, this horse is top class.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Monster.
Belmont Derby winner or runner up behind that Chad monster.
Either way, this horse is top class.
Are you sure he'll stay? He folded like cheap suit when held off the pace in the Palm Beach at 8.5f. Looks to need a well timed ride if he can only sustain his bid for barely a furlong. The winner of that race, Maraud, was a second tier turf juvenile last year and was quickly put back in his place at Keeneland last out when buried by Analyze It (albeit on a yielding course).

In the allowance, Hawkish ran down a third tier turf juvenile from last year, Morrison, who hadn't been out in nearly 4 months and was trying something he'd never attempted (setting the early pace). He has a lot to do to earn a win or a placing in a $1 million race at 10 furlongs.

Meanwhile, on the west coast, Artie Schiller has another son named Fibonacci who has run off with a maiden and a first condition allowance. He has romped in his last 2 from off the pace, both races at 9f. I'd say he's got more of a look for the longer trip than Hawkish at this stage, but both need to confirm their class in a graded stakes before the Belmont Derby.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Are you sure he'll stay? He folded like cheap suit when held off the pace in the Palm Beach at 8.5f. Looks to need a well timed ride if he can only sustain his bid for barely a furlong. The winner of that race, Maraud, was a second tier turf juvenile last year and was quickly put back in his place at Keeneland last out when buried by Analyze It (albeit on a yielding course).

In the allowance, Hawkish ran down a third tier turf juvenile from last year, Morrison, who hadn't been out in nearly 4 months and was trying something he'd never attempted (setting the early pace). He has a lot to do to earn a win or a placing in a $1 million race at 10 furlongs.

Meanwhile, on the west coast, Artie Schiller has another son named Fibonacci who has run off with a maiden and a first condition allowance. He has romped in his last 2 from off the pace, both races at 9f. I'd say he's got more of a look for the longer trip than Hawkish at this stage, but both need to confirm their class in a graded stakes before the Belmont Derby.
Watch that Palm Beach replay again. Very early move IMO.I think the jockeys hand was forced.
For what its worth, I like Fibonacci
Old 04-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Watch that Palm Beach replay again. Very early move IMO.I think the jockeys hand was forced.
I agree, but he also caved the final 1/6th rather than simply hung late. Went from contending for the win to off-the-board in the blink of an eye. From what he's shown thus far he has a quick burst of acceleration and that's it. That's what I meant by needing a well-timed ride.

The problem is, the horse has quite a bit of pace and may not settle enough for his rider to wait until the last minute. In the Palm Beach, it looked like he had to be checked sharply by the jock entering the back stretch to stay off the first flight.

Long story short, class or no class, he looks to me like a miler and the Belmont Derby is a mile and a quarter.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Jerome Park

He may have distance limitations, but using any effort on that supposed turf course at Gulfstream as a judge of a horse's talents is dubious at best ( and he was forced to make a move that pretty much never works on any turf course under those circumstances ).
Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
He may have distance limitations, but using any effort on that supposed turf course at Gulfstream as a judge of a horse's talents is dubious at best ( and he was forced to make a move that pretty much never works on any turf course under those circumstances ).
At the 1/16th pole in the Palm Beach, when the dust clouds really started to coalesce into giant blizzard of dirt, I thought about putting a disclaimer in about the condition of the course, but when Hawkish hit a brick wall and couldn't even save the show spot, I didn't think it really mattered anymore.

Plus, I'd have more of a dog in this fight if Fibonacci was sired by Timo and not Artie Schiller.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
At the 1/16th pole in the Palm Beach, when the dust clouds really started to coalesce into giant blizzard of dirt, I thought about putting a disclaimer in about the condition of the course, but when Hawkish hit a brick wall and couldn't even save the show spot, I didn't think it really mattered anymore.

Plus, I'd have more of a dog in this fight if Fibonacci was sired by Timo and not Artie Schiller.
Yeah, you may never live that one down.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Yeah, you may never live that one down.
Timo easily handled Artie Schiller in the Pilgrim, for all intents and purposes the BC Juvenile Turf of its day.

Timo was hobbled at 3 by bad rides and a nation-wide dearth of a dedicated stakes schedule for 3yo turf horses, forcing him to ship from Florida to Kentucky to New York to Delaware to California and who else knows where.

The only time Artie Schiller beat Timo in a race of consequence he was able to walk on the lead through a 1/2 mile in :52 seconds in the Hill Prince at 9 furlongs.

Even Solar Splendor never received such a hand-out, and that horse was running 11-12 furlongs...
Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Timo easily handled Artie Schiller in the Pilgrim, for all intents and purposes the BC Juvenile Turf of its day.

Timo was hobbled at 3 by bad rides and a nation-wide dearth of a dedicated stakes schedule for 3yo turf horses, forcing him to ship from Florida to Kentucky to New York to Delaware to California and who else knows where.

The only time Artie Schiller beat Timo in a race of consequence he was able to walk on the lead through a 1/2 mile in :52 seconds in the Hill Prince at 9 furlongs.

Even Solar Splendor never received such a hand-out, and that horse was running 11-12 furlongs...
It couldn't have been easy to get a segue into Solar Splendor.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
It couldn't have been easy to get a segue into Solar Splendor.
It wasn't. And I thought about dragging it all the way to the 1990 Travers so I could open the door to discuss the great Le Prince...

...but I didn't want to derail this thread any longer.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 AM
The Curragh

Amusing exchange, BTW and Rollo!