Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Steve Byk

Default Pegasus '18 ~ Gun Runner (4-5) from 10 hole

Quite an interesting piece from Bob Ehalt casting doubt on Pegasus for '18.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...plans-pegasus/

Why there’s uncertainty in the air over plans for the Pegasus
Bob Ehalt

Apparently even the world’s richest horse race is not immune from a ‘sophomore slump’.

With the second edition of the now $16 million Pegasus World Cup about four months away, the Stronach Group’s ground-breaking race is currently facing a bout of growing pains. Several original stakeholders have pulled out – with one of them likening the experience to a ‘used-car sales job’ – and even its most fervent backers are uncertain of what to expect on Jan. 27, when the race is contested at Gulfstream Park.

“As far as I know, and it has been a bit quiet, the race is still on,” said Dean Reeves, an original stakeholder who anted up a $200,000 down payment for a spot in the 2018 race by the Sept. 1 deadline. “I haven’t asked how many people are in and I don’t know where everything stands. But, from my past conversations with [Stronach Chief Operating Officer] Tim Ritvo, they will have 12 horses and it’s going forward. I think they have a lot of irons in the fire and need time to sort everything out, but that’s just conjecture on my part.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Turf Paradise

Looking forward to the Donn Handicap in 2019. May even go to see it.....
Old 10-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Belmont Park

It was an interesting concept. I give them credit for trying something completely out of the box.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Washington Park

I agree with Freddymo. I admire people who try things. The Breeder's Cup is an example. Some fail, but a try always helps. Effort and trials have produced what we have now. Look at "Win and your In". Timing of races, big days. It's a constant evolution, which is good.

I'm OK with all of it. It was a big event. If it's not sustainable, than it can go back to the Donn and be a GR1 and nice event and day. Worth a try.

Interested in OZ tonight doing their own concept of this. See how that goes. Not sure the concept is bad at all, maybe at a lesser amount.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunan4759 View Post
I agree with Freddymo. I admire people who try things. The Breeder's Cup is an example. Some fail, but a try always helps. Effort and trials have produced what we have now. Look at "Win and your In". Timing of races, big days. It's a constant evolution, which is good.

I'm OK with all of it. It was a big event. If it's not sustainable, than it can go back to the Donn and be a GR1 and nice event and day. Worth a try.

Interested in OZ tonight doing their own concept of this. See how that goes. Not sure the concept is bad at all, maybe at a lesser amount.
Hey that put seats on sale today for Peg '18 who knows maybe its a go?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:37 PM
helicopter11

It was a 100 dollar admission just to get in??
Yup, that will work...
Old 12-16-2017, 05:57 AM
Steve Byk

Nine slots sold for Pegasus World Cup
By Matt Hegarty

Gun Runner (Winchell/Three Chimneys)
Collected (Speedway)
West Coast (West)
Gunnevera (Peacock Racing)
Seeking the Soul (Fipke)
Toast of New York (Al Shaqab/Reeves)
War Story (Loooch)
Stellar Wind (Coolmore)
TBD (Stronach)

Expected..
Sharp Azteca (New owner pending)

Horsemen play ‘Let's Make a Deal' before Pegasus deadline
By Matt Hegarty
Old 12-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Jerome Park

I find it amazing that basically nobody is discussing this race honestly. It is NOT a $16 million race. It does NOT cost $1 million for a spot. It cost $350K for a spot. As of now, eight spots have been sold for $350K, or a total of $2.8 million. Add that to the $4 million of added money, and you have a $6.8 million race. Stronach Group claiming they are buying the other four spots makes no sense. I thought the deadline for buying a spot was this past week. I guess if Stronach wants to put up another $1.4 million and give out four more spots, it's their prerogative, and that money can be added to the pool, making it an $8.2 million race. That is the maximum it's worth. This "everyone gets at least $650K back" should not be recognized as part of the purse.

Stronach Group is putting up a ton of money for this race and they should be applauded for that. However, that doesn't buy them the right to create a fraudulent purse. The Jockey Club cannot recognize the $650K "earned" by the also rans. What's next, the KY Derby advertised as a $500 million race, with each entrant supposedly anteing up $25 million to run, with all starters guaranteed $24.9 million in earnings? Will the Jockey Club then have 20 horses that annually earn in excess of $25 million? How is this different?

Let's celebrate the race as a generous outlay by the Stronach Group that is a present to racing fans. But, let's not call it something it's not.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I find it amazing that basically nobody is discussing this race honestly. It is NOT a $16 million race. It does NOT cost $1 million for a spot. It cost $350K for a spot. As of now, eight spots have been sold for $350K, or a total of $2.8 million. Add that to the $4 million of added money, and you have a $6.8 million race. Stronach Group claiming they are buying the other four spots makes no sense. I thought the deadline for buying a spot was this past week. I guess if Stronach wants to put up another $1.4 million and give out four more spots, it's their prerogative, and that money can be added to the pool, making it an $8.2 million race. That is the maximum it's worth. This "everyone gets at least $650K back" should not be recognized as part of the purse.

Stronach Group is putting up a ton of money for this race and they should be applauded for that. However, that doesn't buy them the right to create a fraudulent purse. The Jockey Club cannot recognize the $650K "earned" by the also rans. What's next, the KY Derby advertised as a $500 million race, with each entrant supposedly anteing up $25 million to run, with all starters guaranteed $24.9 million in earnings? Will the Jockey Club then have 20 horses that annually earn in excess of $25 million? How is this different?

Let's celebrate the race as a generous outlay by the Stronach Group that is a present to racing fans. But, let's not call it something it's not.
Probably a lot of people agree with you and the lack of discussion is complete apathy towards the race. I’m sure the trolls would be out in force on Twitter if there was general disagreement to what you are saying.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Detroit Race Course

Franky should spent some of that money to buy a decent timer for GP - which has been an embarrassment to racing for many years now.

To me, it is a 2-bit race.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:22 AM
The Curragh

Thumbs up

Quote:

!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:07 PM
Steve Byk

Giant Expectations added to the field..

1. Gun Runner (Winchell/Three Chimneys) Asmussen/Geroux
2. Collected (Speedway) Baffert/Smith
3. West Coast (West) Baffert/Castellano
4. Gunnevera (Peacock Racing) Sano/Saez
5. Seeking the Soul (Fipke) Stewart/J. Velazquez
6. Toast of New York (Al Shaqab/Reeves) Osbourne/Dettori
7. War Story (Loooch) Navarro/J. Ortiz
8. Stellar Wind (Coolmore) C. Brown/Rosario
9. Fear the Cowboy (Stronach, Frankel & Frankel, Amayo & Centofanti) Loza/Gaffalione
10. Giant Expectations (Exline-Border, Gatto & Zubok) Eurton/Stevens
11. Sharp Azteca (Loooch) Navarro/I. Ortiz Jr.
12. Open ~ Singing Bullet/Giuseppe the Great/J Boys Echo

Last edited by Kasept : 01-22-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Jerome Park

TBD should be a real doozy.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
TBD should be a real doozy.
At least TBD will end up among the leading money earners in 2018 following his last place finish.

Paul
Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Goodwood

What if TBD turns out to be Winx?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 AM
Randwyck

Running Winx in this race would be incredible.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:30 AM
Belmont Park

Giant Expectation will be heading to the Donnroids..Really liked him in the Haynesfield.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnSkinny View Post
Running Winx in this race would be incredible.
they tried last year, but get her into the race this will turn out to be a real spectacle worldwide, surprised Godolphin hasn't had a runner or pointed anyone for the race.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/superra...428d047ed75fa4
Old 01-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Jerome Park

Yeah, it's shocking that Godolphin isn't supporting a race that pretends to be worth more than the Dubai World Cup.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Giant Expectations added to the field..

1. Gun Runner (Winchell/Three Chimneys)
2. Collected (Speedway)
3. West Coast (West)
4. Gunnevera (Peacock Racing)
5. Seeking the Soul (Fipke)
6. Toast of New York (Al Shaqab/Reeves)
7. War Story (Loooch)
8. Stellar Wind (Coolmore) ~ Anticipated
9. TBD (Stronach)
10. Giant Expectations (Exline-Border, Gatto & Zubok
11. Sharp Azteca (New owner pending) ~ Expected
12. Open

This is actually looking like an OK betting race.
If Sharp Azteca goes that would be a big plus.
In terms of the Stronach entry,if he sticks to his Adena runners it almost has to be Ice Festival.........off price probably around 75-1 with this bunch.