Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2016, 05:00 AM
Steve Byk

Default Week/Weekend Stakes Beyers

WO Canadian International S (G1): Erupt-IRE 103 (Dubawi-IRE) F. Graffard/S. Pasquier
WO E. P. Taylor S. (G1): Al's Gal 97 (English Channel) M. Maker/F. Geroux
WO Nearctic S (G2): Calgary Cat 99 (Cowtown Cat) K. Attard/L. Contreras
WO Ontario Fashion S (G3): Southern Ring 92 (Speightstown) M. Pierce/E. Da Silva
WO Ruling Angel S: Generous Touch 84 (Philanthropist) S. Attard/E. Da Silva

KEE Queen Elizabeth II Cup S. (G1): Time and Motion 99 (Tapit) J. Toner/J. Velazquez
KEE Buffalo Trace Franklin County S (G3): Miss Ella 93 (Exchange Rate) H. Motion/J. Rosario
KEE JPMorgan Chase Jessamine S (G3): La Coronel 86 (Colonel John) M. Casse/F. Geroux

BEL Pebbles S: Thundering Sky 94 (Sky Mesa) G. Weaver/A. Gallardo
BEL Futurity S (G3): Theory 85 (Gemologist) T. Pletcher/J. Castellano
BEL Matron S (G3): Arella Rockstar 65 (Astrology) R. Rodriguez/L. Saez

SA California Distaff H: Enola Gray 91 (Grazen) P. D'Amato/T. Baze
SA Speakeasy S: California Diamond -- (Harbor the Gold) P. Miller/K. Desormeaux

FNO Bull Dog H: Bronze Star -- (Tapit) J. Hollendorfer/J. Hernandez

FL Leon Reed Memorial S: Breakin the Fever 83 (Roaring Fever) D. Breed/N. Alvarado

Last edited by Kasept : 10-17-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Louisiana Downs

As it always seems to happen... export a stallion and they'll get a hot.

Colonel John is off to Korea and he gets a stakes winner (La Coronel). Plus his son Gemologist gets a nice looking colt in Theory.

Sorry, duh. Both are by Tiznow.

Last edited by bare it all : 10-17-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare it all View Post
As it always seems to happen... export a stallion and they'll get a hot.

Colonel John is off to Korea and he gets a stakes winner (La Coronel). Plus his son Gemologist gets a nice looking colt in Theory.
Colonel John and Gemologist are both by Tiznow.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Accuracy has become very unimportant in 2016.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Accuracy has become very unimportant in 2016.
This is small potatoes. I'm so sick that I signed up on the Bloodhorse just to set the record straight in the comments section. Someone, commenting on the death of Quiet American, said they would "never forget" his valiant effort in the 1990 Woodward, when he was run down late by Criminal Type.

Actually, it might be better to live in some other alternate parallel universe. Maybe, just maybe, Sea Hero really won the 1993 Triple Crown.

Or at the very least didn't finish behind El Bakan in the Preakness.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Oops. Stupid me.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
This is small potatoes. I'm so sick that I signed up on the Bloodhorse just to set the record straight in the comments section. Someone, commenting on the death of Quiet American, said they would "never forget" his valiant effort in the 1990 Woodward, when he was run down late by Criminal Type.

Actually, it might be better to live in some other alternate parallel universe. Maybe, just maybe, Sea Hero really won the 1993 Triple Crown.

Or at the very least didn't finish behind El Bakan in the Preakness.
Poor Dispersal. Never got the respect he deserved.

Sea Hero, on the other hand, got way more.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Poor Dispersal. Never got the respect he deserved.
Ironically, Steve Haskin in his latest spew regarding Arrogate had this to say about the 1989 Blue Grass (which featured Dispersal), and more specifically, winner Western Playboy:

In 1989, there was a Midwestern-based 3-year-old named Western Playboy, who had scored a narrow victory in the Blue Grass Stakes, run in a slow 1:51 1/5. After finishing 15th in the Kentucky Derby, beaten almost 23 lengths, Western Playboy proceeded to be beaten 12 1/2 lengths in the St. Paul Derby and 9 1/4 lengths in the Arlington Classic before finishing a non-threatening fourth in the American Derby and Fairmount Park Derby. He was put in a small stakes for Illinois-breds, which he won by 1 1/2 lengths. Trainer Harvey Vanier then put him in the Pennsylvania Derby. Where his performance in that race came from no one knows, but Western Playboy exploded on the far turn in the 12-horse field, then drew off to win by 17 lengths in 1:47 3/5, shattering the brilliant Afleet’s stakes record.

Let's see. First of all, the Blue Grass was run on a muddy track. Secondly, in that race he defeated the previously unbeaten Dispersal, who in the span of about 30 days had won his 6f maiden debut, the Risen Star Stakes, and the Louisiana Derby (and yet we fawn over a horse like Runhappy nowadays). Thirdly, in his start prior to the Blue Grass, Western Playboy won the Jim Beam, tying the track record and turning the tables on Mercedes Won, who had beaten him in the Florida Derby.

Western Playboy spent the summer chasing old familiar rivals like Clever Trevor, Tricky Creek, and Roi Danzig after dealing with an infected leg around the Kentucky Derby. I'm not sure why rounding back into form to reclaim his post as the best of the second tier 3yos with an emphatic win in a Grade 3 race at Philadelphia Park is so otherworldly to poor ole Steve. I hope he didn't really think he had a shot against Sunday Silence and Easy Goer in the BC Classic.

Quote:
Sea Hero, on the other hand, got way more.
I wanna buy that statue one day.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Jerome Park

Maybe it will be for sale when we decide to replace it with the Eric Guillot statue.

I actually recall Western Playboy ran a crazy high fig in that PA Derby. But, hey, they may have been calling it Phili Park back then, but it was Parx, and you know, what happens at Parx stays at Parx.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Maybe it will be for sale when we decide to replace it with the Eric Guillot statue.

I actually recall Western Playboy ran a crazy high fig in that PA Derby. But, hey, they may have been calling it Phili Park back then, but it was Parx, and you know, what happens at Parx stays at Parx.
According to an article I just looked up, the computer gave it about a 135 but it was adjusted down to around 110.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Ellis Park

Nice number out of Erupt via the International.....
He looked like the goods traveling around the Woodbine course,loaded for bear from the jump and all that........talk about a handful of horse for Pasquier.
Erupt can't stand ground with any give in it.........but give him the firm and he's world class.
I wonder if his connections will look to North America again for the right kind of ground for this one.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

A message board with real cogent factual comments... Who knew