Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Santa Anita

Default Most Impressive in Defeat?

Will Take Charge and Declaration of War would definitely get in there. One of these days O'Brien's gonna get himself a Classic win. Reneesgotzip and The Fugue deserve kudos too.

Might nominate Bobby's Kitten to soothe the temper of Ken Ramsey over the ride. He probably thought that was the race he was most likely to win, then he ends up publicly firing the jockey and making sure everybody on tv knew it.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Steve Byk

Za Approval. Strong Mandate/Havana. Was amazed by maiden Colonel Joan hitting board in JFT. Rosalind likely wins JF with clean break.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Oaklawn

Havana. Will Take Charge ran huge too.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Santa Anita

Will Take Charge. Against a pedestrian pace, he was flying home and lost an inch.

The Fugue was another that ran very well in defeat. Strong Mandate was probably best in the Juvy, though a case could be made for Havana. The winner was clearly 3rd best.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 PM
The Curragh

as much as it pains me to say it, Im going with Bobbys Kitten, just to even hang in there and be in a dog fight in deep stretch for any top 3 placing like that was amazing. Horse could of easily just packed it in, but running that fast at that distance on grass being that young was amazing.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Lincoln Fields

I've watched the stretch run of the classic multiple times...several times I've keyed in on Declaration of War. I realize J O'Brien has won some huge races but I can't help but focus on how inefficient his motions are. Since he's 6' or more he bounces all over the place and it makes you wonder if he was potentially hurting the horses momentum.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Steve Byk

Going through again preparing for today's show and noticed that Gentleman's Bet stayed on admirably after attending the collapse pace of the Sprint..
Old 11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywizard View Post
I've watched the stretch run of the classic multiple times...several times I've keyed in on Declaration of War. I realize J O'Brien has won some huge races but I can't help but focus on how inefficient his motions are. Since he's 6' or more he bounces all over the place and it makes you wonder if he was potentially hurting the horses momentum.
Ty..

Chuck said the same thing to me after the race.. that a domestic rider could have made the difference. Completely understand O'Brien sticking with Joseph in the spot, but after flogging him on radio and in the XB Wagering Guide, I backed it up at the window and really needed Declaration. Even 2nd was a good result. Game try.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Idlewild Airport

Surely not aerodynamic to be doing that **** on a horse.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Going through again preparing for today's show and noticed that Gentleman's Bet stayed on admirably after attending the collapse pace of the Sprint..
Best against the grain run of the day.
Too bad his jock was the cause if it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Flemington

Will Take Charge
Za Approval
Strong Mandate
She's a Tiger
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Ty..

Chuck said the same thing to me after the race.. that a domestic rider could have made the difference. Completely understand O'Brien sticking with Joseph in the spot, but after flogging him on radio and in the XB Wagering Guide, I backed it up at the window and really needed Declaration. Even 2nd was a good result. Game try.
Steve.. Great job on Declaration of War though given the dearth of data we have on Euro's.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Randwyck

I'd suggest there were plenty...

She's A Tiger - who deserves an Eclipse after a great campaign - she's maybe a full length away from an undefeated season and 3 G1s wins.

Agreed on Za Approval, Havana, Will Take Charge...

Alterite ran a huge race in the F&M Turf

But my overall winner for "most impressive loser" is absolutely, positively Declaration of War. The inside scoop over the course of the week was expecting he was going to break slow (as he has in the past) would force Joseph to keep him outside and lose ground, but he'd be out of the kickback. O'Brien was leery of his work at Southwell two weeks out where they thought he didn't get enough kickback in case he ended up inside. It was Joseph's first mount on dirt, EVER...he's 6'4" and when I saw him early in the week, he'd pass for a marathon-running banker.

The boys of Ballydoyle walked away from the Classic just about as fulfilled as any losing connection possibly could. His performance validated the pedigree, their planning, the belief he could compete in this race, and his potential universality as a sire. Tough to find a more "winning" loser than Declaration of War.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Idlewild Airport

What a bloody shock you chose a Euro.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
What a bloody shock you chose a Euro.
Or you could look at it objectively and recognize his performance was a phenomenal one in defeat...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
Or you could look at it objectively and recognize his performance was a phenomenal one in defeat...
I can...the idea that it was the most impressive horse in defeat is hard to imagine over the course of 2 days...I always feel that Euros in general have short man's syndrome in a big way. It was evident way back on the ESPN board as well. It is an illness.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
I thought Joe gave him a great trip. He just didn't look good doing it.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I'd suggest there were plenty...

She's A Tiger - who deserves an Eclipse after a great campaign - she's maybe a full length away from an undefeated season and 3 G1s wins.

Agreed on Za Approval, Havana, Will Take Charge...

Alterite ran a huge race in the F&M Turf

But my overall winner for "most impressive loser" is absolutely, positively Declaration of War. The inside scoop over the course of the week was expecting he was going to break slow (as he has in the past) would force Joseph to keep him outside and lose ground, but he'd be out of the kickback. O'Brien was leery of his work at Southwell two weeks out where they thought he didn't get enough kickback in case he ended up inside. It was Joseph's first mount on dirt, EVER...he's 6'4" and when I saw him early in the week, he'd pass for a marathon-running banker.

The boys of Ballydoyle walked away from the Classic just about as fulfilled as any losing connection possibly could. His performance validated the pedigree, their planning, the belief he could compete in this race, and his potential universality as a sire. Tough to find a more "winning" loser than Declaration of War.
They kept saying he was 6' on television, they shorted him 4" inches I guess.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
They kept saying he was 6' on television, they shorted him 4" inches I guess.
Fun with numbers. I doubt he's 6 foot, let alone 6' 4"...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Del Mar

I believe he's 5' 11"