Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 PM
The Curragh

This pace has to be quick. Only horse that I think can go fast early and still finish is GR, but how much energy will he have to expend early from the 10-hole?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Detroit Race Course

Once upon a time,Arrogate could not be beaten.
West Coast is young, improving off a very good beginning, and draws a great post. He should be much better physically now than 2-3 months ago and it should be his "turn" anytime now.

Seems like the beginning of the next big thing is always the end of the last big thing.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Ellis Park

All hail the Champion....
Gun Runner truly is deserving of massive praise,a machine as time went on.
The one thing about him that jumps out.......he always moved forward,each race better then his previous.
At some point most greats tail off,not Gun Runner........he was better and better and better.
At the end he reminded me of Wise Dan a little bit,you just couldn't beat him.
If he would of stayed in training it would of been awhile before they beat him........if ever.
It's been a good run of Champion dirt horses lately,Gun Runner makes it four in a row{Chrome/Pharoah/Arrogate}.
Tough act to follow for whoever is next.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 PM
Louisiana Downs

Agree turned into quite a horse and improved every time. One other thing about him was how durable he was never having to step back do to problems but he ran well on multiple different tracks.

This race shows the level he has reach ..over game bad post, pressed fast fractions putting away Collected and he had every right to fold but repelled a stretch challenge from West Coast and pulled away as those 2 totally separated themselves from the field.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:43 PM
Goodwood

$42 million in handle says this idea is working. I get the purse number is phony and inflated but it's still earned "big race" status, when the Donn was dying on the vine. Bonus points to anyone who knew Mshawish won the "last" edition (I didn't)

Same Saturday in 2016 did $17 million. Donn Saturday (the following week) did $19 million.

In addition, there was definitely a concerted effort to promote it at Santa Anita today- would not be surprised if next year that coordination goes a step farther and they bring a big card there as well.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Cahokia Downs

I qualify for the bonus points. Needed Valid for the pk6...I’ll never forget it.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:46 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I would happily take a price on either or both of those.
Can't tell if you liked her or didn't with this post?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:49 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
He did videos.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:57 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
He did videos.
Yeah, noted.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:29 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Not that my comment wasn't sort of self evident, but my response meant I would take a price, in other words odds of better than even money, that she would finish ahead of each horse individually. She beat one and lost to the other, so if I took a price on each bet, I would have made money. Off course she would have finished third, and well ahead of both, if Toast of New York hadn't backed right into her on the turn. You can see it on the head on ( and it's sort of obvious if you look at the chicklets though they are off the screen on the pan ).
Old 01-30-2018, 01:08 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
$42 million in handle says this idea is working. I get the purse number is phony and inflated but it's still earned "big race" status, when the Donn was dying on the vine. Bonus points to anyone who knew Mshawish won the "last" edition (I didn't)

Same Saturday in 2016 did $17 million. Donn Saturday (the following week) did $19 million.

In addition, there was definitely a concerted effort to promote it at Santa Anita today- would not be surprised if next year that coordination goes a step farther and they bring a big card there as well.
Out in my neck of the woods it had a Breeders Cup vibe and definitely had more people out at track than usual Saturday
Old 01-30-2018, 07:03 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Not that my comment wasn't sort of self evident, but my response meant I would take a price, in other words odds of better than even money, that she would finish ahead of each horse individually. She beat one and lost to the other, so if I took a price on each bet, I would have made money. Off course she would have finished third, and well ahead of both, if Toast of New York hadn't backed right into her on the turn. You can see it on the head on ( and it's sort of obvious if you look at the chicklets though they are off the screen on the pan ).
Yeah it is hard to tell with the chicklets...I finally watched the head-on replay. I personally didn't like the way they had her so far back even before TONY threw in the towel. She did run respectable, especially at those odds.