Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Saratoga

Default Arlington Million Day - international runners

From what I've read, the following are possible.....

Ace
Phoenix Reach
Touch of Land
Nasheej
Rising Cross
Soldier Hallow
Blue Monday
Primary
Luas Line

Any that any of you know of? Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Saratoga

Be still, my heart.....

From Arlington barn notes.....

AIDAN O’BRIEN-TRAINED TRIO LIKELY FOR INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL
Irish-based trainer Aidan O’Brien, who sent Mrs. John Magnier’s Powerscourt to Chicago to win last summer’s Arlington Million, is likely to send highly regarded candidates to all three of Arlington Park’s International Festival of Racing Grade I races on Aug. 12.

Likely for Arlington Million XXIV from the O’Brien yard is Mrs. Magnier’s Ace, an Irish-bred 5-year-old son of Danehill familiar to American racing fans as the runner-up in last fall’s Grade I John Deere Breeders’ Cup Turf at Belmont Park Oct. 29. Previously, at that same suburban New York oval, Ace was a gutsy third, beaten three-quarters of a length for all of it in the Grade I Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational.

In his last trip to the post July 15, Ace was second by a head in the Group III Ladbrokes International Stakes and before that was beaten four and a quarter in the Group I Prince of Wales’s Stakes June 21 during the Royal Ascot meeting.

O’Brien, 36, who has vaulted onto the top tier of internationally renowned conditioners over the last decade, is likely to bring Mrs. Magnier’s 3-year-old filly Queen Cleopatra to Arlington for the Grade I Beverly D. – the Arlington Million’s $750,000 sister race that is restricted to fillies and mares. In her last start July 1 at The Curragh, Queen Cleopatra was fifth in the Group I Audi Pretty Polly Stakes, but was a close third in the Group I Prix de Diane Hermes (French) Oaks before that June 11 and also third in the Group I Boylesports Irish 1000 Guineas May 28.

For Arlington’s Grade I Secretariat Stakes on the second Saturday in August, restricted to 3-year-olds of international caliber as final leg of Chicago’s Mid-America Triple, O’Brien is expected to be represented by Ivan Denisovich, owned by Mrs. Magnier in conjunction with Michael Tabor and Irving and Marjorie Cowan. The sophomore son of Danehill was eighth in the Group I Prix Jean Prat at Chantilly July 9 at last asking but third in the Group I St. James Palace Stakes during the Royal Ascot session on June 20.

LIST OF EUROPEAN SECRETARIAT STAKES CANDIDATES GROWS
In addition to Highclere Thoroughbred Racing XXVI’s Primary and Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Irving and Marjorie Cowan’s Ivan Denisovich, three other sophomores still in Europe are now likely to make an Atlantic crossing for Arlington Park’s Grade I Secretariat Stakes on Aug. 12.

Dr. Ronan Lambe’s Royal Intrigue, conditioned by Ireland’s all-time leading trainer Dermot Weld, is an Irish-bred son of Royal Applause who was winner of his last two starts on the Emerald Isle, and is now expected to come for the Secretariat, final leg of Arlington’s Mid-America Triple.

J. Paul Reddam’s Red Rocks, runner-up in the Group I Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris at Longchamp in his last start July 14, is a Brian Meehan trainee also likely for the Secretariat. Red Rocks, a Galileo colt and also an Irish-bred, was second by a neck in his previous effort in the Group II King Edward VII Stakes June 23 during Royal Ascot.

French-bred El Capitano, owned by Ecurie des Monceaux and a colt who broke his maiden at first asking on July 7 at Deauville by two and a half lengths, is increasingly likely for the Secretariat. El Capitano is a son of the Danzig stallion Anabaa.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Saratoga

Ace withdrawn from the Meld Stakes tomorrow and will go straight to the Arlington Million..... unclear who gets the mount.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Saratoga

Johannesburg.....

Any word on Nasheej? Is she definite?

Thanks, Luv.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 PM
boldruler

Please bring all 4 of those euros over for the Secretariat. We might get a price on Showing Up. Maybe even 5-2 or better.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Please bring all 4 of those euros over for the Secretariat. We might get a price on Showing Up. Maybe even 5-2 or better.
I take it you're not impressed.....
Old 08-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Saratoga

From Arlington barn notes.....

Racing NewsPhoenix ‘Reaches’ Chicago Thursday on Flight from Amsterdam; The Tin Man Returning to Arlington Million After 3-year Hiatus
by: Graham Ross
August 2, 2006 -- Winterbeck Manor Stud’s globetrotting Phoenix Reach is due to arrive at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport late Thursday following a transatlantic flight from Amsterdam to become the first European candidate for Arlington Million XXIV to set up local headquarters at Arlington Park.

The Grade I Arlington Million, along with the Grade I Beverly D. and the Grade I Secretariat Stakes, will be run Aug. 12 to headline Arlington’s one-day International Festival of Racing – showcase event of Chicago’s Thoroughbred racing season – and all three classics have attracted some of the world’s best grass runners in their respective divisions.

Scheduled to arrive on subsequent transatlantic flights for this summer’s Arlington Million on the second Saturday in August are Mrs. John Magnier’s Irish-bred Ace , Gestut Park Wiedingen’s British-bred Soldier Hollow and Gary Tanaka’s French-bred Touch of Land.

European-based members of the distaff set expected for the $750,000 Beverly D., sister race to the Arlington Million, are a pair of sophomore fillies – Mrs. Magnier’s Irish-bred Queen Cleopatra and Tanaka’s British-bred Rising Cross – who will be asked to challenge older mares in that mile and three-sixteenths turf test.

Due in from Europe for the $400,000 Secretariat, final leg of Arlington’s Mid-America Triple restricted to 3-year-olds of international grass caliber, are Dr. Ronan Lambe’s Irish-bred Royal Intrigue, Ecurie des Monceaux’ French-bred El Capitano, Mrs. Magnier, Michael Tabor and Iriving and Marjorie Cowan’s Irish-bred Ivan Denisovich, and Highclere Thoroughbred Racing Ltd.’s Primary, bred in Kentucky but raced thus far in Great Britain and Italy.

Phoenix Reach, Arlington’s first arriving European guest this summer, has not been to North America in almost three years but made his last journey a successful one by capturing Woodbine’s Grade I Canadian International in October of 2003 as a 3-year-old facing older horses. Since that trip, the Andrew Balding trainee won the Group I Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase in December of 2005 at Sha Tin and was clearly best in the Grade I Dubai Sheema Classic at Nad Al Sheba in March of 2005.

Although he has been away from competition since being injured in Great Britain’s Group I King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes at Newbury a year ago, the 6-year-old has trained brilliantly in progressively advanced gallops on the hills around Kingclere in Berkshire in recent weeks.

“He’s a real star. We’re very happy with the way he’s come along,” said Lindy Reese, trainer Balding’s secretary when confirming travel plans for Phoenix Reach. “He’ll leave here (Berkshire) Wednesday, and leaves on his flight from Amsterdam Thursday.”

Returning to Arlington Park and the Arlington Million following a three-year absence is Aury and Ralph Todd’s The Tin Man, a West Coast-based 8-year-old gelding who was beaten less then three lengths for all of it when sixth in the 2003 Arlington Million.

The Tin Man had also visited Arlington Park in the fall of 2002, when he gained the lead midway through the Grade I Breeders’ Cup Turf in Chicago that year before weakening in the late stages to finish fourth.

In those previous trips to Chicago, The Tin Man was stabled at the barn of the late revered Chicago conditioner Gene Cilio, who fulfilled the request of The Tin Man’s Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella and had Arlington’s carpenter build a stall with a window in it so The Tin Man could look out.

“He likes his company,” explained Mandella assistant Crystal Brown when the horse and exercise rider were visited at Barn 10 three years ago. “He likes somebody to look at. It relaxes him.”

So what will The Tin Man do for a window this time?

“He doesn’t really need that (the customized window) any more,” said Mandella on Monday, speaking over the phone from his Southern California headquarters. “He’s getting pretty relaxed in his old age. In fact he’s doing real well lately since coming off that win.”

Mandella was referring to The Tin Man’s wire-to-wire winning performance in Hollywood’s Grade II American Invitational Handicap July 2 – a stakes that the Affirmed gelding had first won four years earlier.

“Man, it is easy when they run like that,” said winning jockey Victor Espinoza following The Tin Man’s most recent American Invitational ‘Cap victory. “Just on cruise control. The old man…he just likes to run…loves to run. He has such a big heart. Richard (Mandella) really knows how to train this old man.”

In his previous start, The Tin Man had finished second in the Grade I Dubai Duty Free at Nad Al Sheba last March 25, losing to Roldvale Ltd.’s David Junior, winner of Great Britain’s Group I Coral-Eclipse at Sandown July 8.

“He (The Tin Man) came back from Dubai good,” said Espinoza, who also rode the 8-year-old in the United Arab Emirates. “A lot of horses don’t, but he loves to travel. It didn’t take anything out of him.”
Old 08-02-2006, 02:32 PM
boldruler

Royal Intrigue is no longer coming to take on Showing Up. Ivan Denisovich and Primary are the two euros that have decided to come over and take on Americans top 3yr old grass horse.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Saratoga

Didn't Touch of Land get a crap trip in last years Million, or the year before?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Not sure.....

He ran in the Million twice ('03, when i wasn't yet a fan, and '05, when Powerscourt was the only horse I watched).

Johannesburg will know the answer.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Wait a minute..... you're not thinking of that miserable ride (or "ride") that Jamie Spencer gave Powerscourt in '04 are you?

I still have nightmares.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Wait a minute..... you're not thinking of that miserable ride (or "ride") that Jamie Spencer gave Powerscourt in '04 are you?

I still have nightmares.
No because I remember that and UNLOADED on him with Fallon last year, I have never seen a horse look SO GOOD on the track, I didn't play any other horse on top, there was no doubt in my mind, oh memories of what it is like to pick winners
Old 08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Let me make sure and get it out now that Rising Cross will win the Beverly D as a 3 year old.

That little b it ch is a running fool, and quickens with the best of them. She ran into a monster in Alexandrova twice, and Tanaka now owns her and supplemented her late.

Watch out for her, she should be really nice odds and I am unloading on her.

Also in the million, I love Phoenix Reach. He has been off for quite a while, but the works over the gallops over there can have him fit enough for the 1 1/4.

At his best, he can work these horses.

Rising Cross will be my play of the day though. Watch her Oaks run where she stumbles and almost falls in the stretch.

http://ukracing.net/index.php?option...d=18&Itemid=36
Old 08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
Let me make sure and get it out now that Rising Cross will win the Beverly D as a 3 year old.

That little b it ch is a running fool, and quickens with the best of them. She ran into a monster in Alexandrova twice, and Tanaka now owns her and supplemented her late.

Also in the million, I love Phoenix Reach. He has been off for quite a while, but the works over the gallops over there can have him fit enough for the 1 1/4.

Rising Cross will be my play of the day though. Watch her Oaks run where she stumbles and almost falls in the stretch.

One of the great races of the year and yeah... she's quite the girl.

I'm confused about Nasheej..... is she coming or definite for the Nassau? She's a little monster, that girl... love her to death.

Love PR too and believe me... if Ace weren't going.....

Good luck and let me know if you wanna do the same thing as the Sussex here. You know who my pick is...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
One of the great races of the year and yeah... she's quite the girl.

I'm confused about Nasheej..... is she coming or definite for the Nassau? She's a little monster, that girl... love her to death.

Love PR too and believe me... if Ace weren't going.....

Good luck and let me know if you wanna do the same thing as the Sussex here. You know who my pick is...
I don't think Nasheej will come. But I guess we will see tomorrow when the acceptances come out for the Nassau.... When I see them come over the FTP I'll let you know.

Who knows? But I'll take your Ace bet for the Million.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I don't think Nasheej will come. But I guess we will see tomorrow when the acceptances come out for the Nassau.... When I see them come over the FTP I'll let you know.

Who knows? But I'll take your Ace bet for the Million.
Cool... thank you!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:20 PM
pgardn

I really like The Tin Man. He keeps em honest. He has become a tough guy.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Newmarket

Quote:

mood, thanks for the heads up. I watched the race and it was impressive. of course the winner was a monster. I'm going to give Rising Cross a real good look in the PP's. Also in the walking ring as I'll be at the track for this.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Yeah...the winner there looked awfully tough. Nice turn of foot on her.

I take it that the little stumble took nothing out of Rising Cross??

Last edited by GPK : 08-03-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Saratoga

Well, I knew it was coming but still.....

Where's the little smiley face... the suicidal one?

APPEAL BY LAST YEAR’S MILLION WINNING JOCKEY FALLON DENIED
European jockey Kieren Fallon, who won last summer’s Grade I Arlington Million on Mrs. John Magnier’s Powerscourt as the regular rider for Irish trainer Aidan O’Brien, has lost a High Court challenge to a riding ban by Great Britain’s Horseracing Regulatory Authority.

The failure of Fallon’s High Court challenge means that the six-time British riding champion will almost certainly be unavailable for the mount on Mrs. Magnier’s Ace for O’Brien in the upcoming Arlington Million Aug. 12.

O’Brien is also expected to send Mrs. Magnier’s Queen Cleopatra for Arlington’s Grade I Beverly D. and Mrs. Magnier, Michael Tabor and Irving and Marjorie Cowan’s Ivan Denisovich in the Grade I Secretariat during Arlington’s one-day International Festival of Racing Aug. 12. A decision concerning an alternate rider for all three O’Brien trainees is expected shortly.