Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2006, 10:14 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Oh I'm sorry..... that reminded me of Jamie Spencer on poor Antonius Pius in the BC Mile......

(Jamie is much improved... no disrespect).

(Well, maybe just a little.....)
that is a painfull memory...had him win place keyed in all exotics...
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Saratoga

DON'T EVEN get me started on that horse. He keeps him straight and he wins by 3 lengths.....MAN, that would have been a HUGE score for me, had him in EVERY POSSIBLE win wager....MAN..you just love bringing up OLD WOUNDS....I already have one from DOOCY's Moronic crap on Saturday...
Old 07-04-2006, 02:46 AM
Saratoga

Nice to know I'm not alone in my memories.....

Synopsis from Times Online...

HOW THE CASE HAS UNFOLDED

SEPTEMBER 1, 2004 City of London Police arrests 16 people for alleged conspiracy to defraud. Kieren Fallon is among those detained along with jockeys Darren Williams and Fergal Lynch. They are released on bail.

OCTOBER 28, 2004 Six further arrests are announced — none licensed by the Jockey Club — bringing the total on police bail to 22.

DECEMBER 1, 2004 Trainer Alan Berry, jockey Paul Bradley and farrier Steve O’Sullivan are arrested and questioned.

FEBRUARY 2, 2005 Robert Winston becomes the fifth jockey arrested.

MARCH 8, 2005 Jockey Gyles Parkin is arrested, bringing the number arrested to 27.

MARCH 10, 2005 Police extend bail on all those arrested.

SEPTEMBER 27, 2005 Parkin no longer under suspicion.

FEBRUARY 27, 2006 Bail dates are postponed to July 3.

MARCH 3, 2006 Amateur rider Dale Jewett is arrested and placed on bail.

JULY 3, 2006 Fallon, Williams, Lynch, Berry and O’Sullivan among 11 charged. Other 17 people including Bradley, Winston and Jewett released from bail.

additional article...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...254648,00.html

One from The Guardian...
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/horserac...812045,00.html

From Racing Post.....

FALLON VOWS TO PROVE HIS INNOCENCE

Kieren Fallon vowed to prove his innocence after being charged with conspiracy to defraud Betfair customers.

The six-time former champion jockey, 41, was one of 28 people to answer bail at Bishopsgate station on Monday in connection with a City of London police investigation spanning nearly two years.

Fallon was one of 11 individuals, including fellow riders Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams and trainer Alan Berry, to be charged with conspiracy to defraud.

"I was totally shocked when they charged me this morning (Monday). I really didn't expect that," the Ballydoyle stable jockey told The Sportsman.

"I am glad of the support of so many people and I will now prove my innocence in court."

The riders' licences in Britain have expired as a result of them being charged, while Berry will be prevented from entering or declaring a horse.

However, the Horseracing Regulatory Authority has set aside time over the next two days for a special panel to hear representations from those affected.

Berry was due to appear at noon on Tuesday, while the three jockeys will appear on Friday at times to be announced.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Keeneland

Kieren Fallon, the six-time champion jockey who won the Irish Derby on Sunday, was one of 28 people arrested and charged on Monday in London with conspiracy to defraud in a wide-ranging investigation into corruption in horse racing, according to British newspapers.

The investigation centers on allegations of fixing the outcomes of races run from Dec. 1, 2002, to Sept. 2, 2004, according to the reports. The individuals were charged with conspiracy to defraud customers of Betfair, the online betting exchange that allows its customers to post odds and take wagers from other customers.

Fallon, 41, was released on bail Monday morning.

Two other British jockeys, Darren Williams, 27, and Fergal Lynch, 28, were also charged.

In addition, a former racing syndicate director, Miles Rodgers, was charged with conspiracy to defraud and money laundering.

Betfair has reportedly cooperated with the investigation and turned over records of suspicious betting patterns to London police.

He can always ride in Chicago
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
DON'T EVEN get me started on that horse. He keeps him straight and he wins by 3 lengths.....MAN, that would have been a HUGE score for me, had him in EVERY POSSIBLE win wager....MAN..you just love bringing up OLD WOUNDS....I already have one from DOOCY's Moronic crap on Saturday...
Regarding Antonius Pius. I agree that it was a shocking ride (and told Spencer that the next day), but the horse had a history of acting up and threw away the French Guineas by veering right into the rails. Punters should have known that this could well have happened. I backed him that day btw..

#Grand
Old 07-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Saratoga

The news is breaking right now..... he's banned.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Saratoga

From the BBC...

Last Updated: Friday, 7 July 2006, 14:32 GMT 15:32 UK

Fallon banned from British racing

Fallon can still ride in Ireland
Kieren Fallon has been banned from racing in Britain until his trial next year on a charge of conspiracy to defraud, but can still ride in Ireland.
The ex-champion jockey appeared before the Horeseracing Regulatory Authority on Friday along with fellow jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams.

Lynch and Williams will also not be given their licences to ride back until the end of the trial.

They have already been suspended from racing.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Saratoga

Well, he can still ride Ace for the Million anyway.....
Old 07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Hialeah Park

TbTimes:http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...64894&subsec=3
Old 07-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Saratoga

"However, unless my suspension is lifted my career is in ruins as i cannot ask owners or trainers to support me elsewhere when i am prevented from riding in the UK." KF

This sucks.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...llon_Snap.html
Old 07-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Scav you aren't serious are you? WHen he rode at Gulf he was tragic. He looked like a monkey trying to **** a football.
Whatever you say Randy Quaid, or can I call you Cousin Eddie
Old 07-07-2006, 08:16 PM
rockhardtenfan

Quote:
From the BBC...

Last Updated: Friday, 7 July 2006, 14:32 GMT 15:32 UK

Fallon banned from British racing

Fallon can still ride in Ireland
Kieren Fallon has been banned from racing in Britain until his trial next year on a charge of conspiracy to defraud, but can still ride in Ireland.
The ex-champion jockey appeared before the Horeseracing Regulatory Authority on Friday along with fellow jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams.

Lynch and Williams will also not be given their licences to ride back until the end of the trial.

They have already been suspended from racing.
That seems harsh to be banned until the trial if it's next year.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Saratoga

The appeal was denied earlier today.

On the BBC it says there's a chance he won't actually be allowed to ride in England till 2008 (and not '07, as had been previously reported).

From Racing Post.....

Fallon planning High Court challenge

KIEREN FALLON will go to the High Court "and beyond if necessary" after losing an appeal against his suspension from riding in Britain.

Having adjourned Fallon's case after hearing submissions from the rider's legal team last night, the appeal board of the Horseracing Regulatory Authority upheld their decision to prohibit him from riding in Britain at Shaftesbury Avenue this morning.

In a statement released through his solicitors, BCL Burton Copeland, Fallon said: "I am deeply disappointed by the refusal of the HRA to overturn my suspension fromriding in the UK.

"I will now take the matter to the High Court, and beyond if necessary, to reinstate my rights to earn a living in the UK and participate in the sport that I love.

"Until I have the chance to prove my innocence in court, it is grossly unfair that I am being denied a living in Britain."

The six-times champion was last week charged as part of a police investigation into alleged race-fixing.

Any trial in the case is not expected to be before spring 2007.

A HRA statementread: "The board received the panel's decision and reasons and mindful of the serious criminal charges now outstanding against Kieren Fallon, decided that the panel's decision to decline to consider any of the presently available evidence was correct.

"Further, that the decision to prohibit him from riding in races in Great Britain until the conclusion of his trial or further order was justified.

"The appeal is dismissed."

The HRA revealed that Fallon's grounds for appeal were that "the decision had the effect of denying him his right to earn a living, and would also effectively end his career as a leading jockey and is disproportionate and accordingly unlawful".

Fallon and his team also felt "the panel erred in law in declining to take into account any evidence and/or submissions on behalf of the appellant (Fallon) in respect of the underlying criminal charges which were the basis for the HRA's decision to prohibit him". The HRA said that the board was asked by Fallon's representatives to provide written reasons for its decision.

These will be produced as soon as possible, according to the HRA.

John Blake, chief executive of the Jockeys' Association, said: "We will just wait and see the outcome of the written reasons for the dismissal (of the appeal), which should be available tomorrow.

"I don't know if they will be publicly available but obviously we will look forward to learning the reasons for the decision."

Fallon, along with fellow jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams, was charged with conspiracy to defraud by the City of London police on July 3.

Licensed by the Irish Turf Club, Fallon, 41, is still allowed to ride in other countries and landed a treble at Naas on Wednesday night.

He is also in action at Gowran Park this evening, where he has four rides.

Williams and Lynch hold British licences and will not be allowed to ride until after the conclusion of any trial.

Williams has launched an appeal - although a date has yet to be arranged - while Lynch has until 5pm on Friday to follow suit.

However, the two jockeys will receive compensation from the British Horseracing Board for loss of earnings.

"I believe the intention (of Lynch) is still to appeal but obviously he may want to consider that in the light of today's judgement," added Blake.

"I would say at this point that the jockeys have always anticipated using the full time available to them to lodge and that is still the case at the moment.

"We will know more in a few days though."

All three jockeys deny any wrongdoing.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i don't think he should be banned until after the trial if necessary. after all, if he's found not guilty, they cost him a bunch of money by keeping him from his livelihood. after all, bettors know about the whole thing, wouldn't it be up to them to decide whether to back him or not??
Old 07-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Saratoga

This sucks.... the ban was upheld.

From Sporting Life...

FALLON FAILS IN HIGH COURT CHALLENGE

Kieren Fallon has failed in a High Court challenge to a Horseracing Regulatory Authority ban which prevents him riding in Britain.

Fallon, 41, was suspended by the HRA earlier this month until the conclusion of his trial on criminal charges of conspiracy to defraud.

The six-time champion condemned that decision, and that of the HRA's appeal board to uphold it, as unfair and unreasonable.

However, a High Court verdict in London today upheld the HRA decision.

Fallon, who is still licensed to ride in Ireland, misses out on partnering King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes favourite Hurricane Run at Ascot on Saturday as a consequence.

Ian Burton, of Fallon's solicitors BCL Burton Copeland, said: "My client is understandably disappointed with the outcome of his efforts to have his suspension from riding in the UK lifted pending a trial in 18 months' time.

"We are not seeking leave to appeal and our focus will be on defending the ill-founded charges against Mr Fallon."

Mr Justice Davis refused to grant Fallon an injunction lifting the ban and sending the case back to the HRA for re-hearing.

Lawyers for the Irish rider argued that the HRA panel and an appeal board which upheld its ruling had acted unfairly and disproportionately in depriving him of the ability to earn a living in Britain when no charges had yet been proved against him.

Moreover, they claimed he was entitled to the presumption of innocence.

The judge said Fallon would not face trial until the end of next year - although a submission of "no case to answer" was likely at the end of this year.

Fallon complained that the special panel of the HRA wrongly refused to look at evidence on which the Crown Prosecution Service relied, or to hear submissions that the evidence showed the weakness of the case against him.

The jockey insisted that, if the panel members had viewed the video evidence of the races involved in the prosecution, they would have been satisfied that he had done his best to win those races.

It was also argued that they should have read transcripts of police interviews.

The judge said the charges against Fallon were grave and it had rightly been said that, if proved, the case would "strike at the heart of racing".

The panel and the appeal board had to balance the need to maintain the integrity of the sport against the interests of the individual jockey.

They were right in their refusal to examine the evidence which, the judge said, had been "cherry-picked" by Fallon's legal advisers from a wider range of material, in order to show the weakness of the CPS case.

They were, in effect, being invited to second-guess the CPS and conduct a mini-trial in advance of the criminal proceedings.

The judge said some of Fallon's arguments that the ban was disproportionate had been overstated.

His claim that it would effectively end his career as a leading jockey was not supported by any evidence.

Nor was the argument that Fallon and those dependent on him - to whom he was said to have commitments of more than £200,000 a year - faced relative destitution.

The judge agreed that to prevent Fallon from "plying his trade and earning a living" in Britain was a serious matter.

But the panel and the board were entitled to reach the conclusion that racing might suffer damage in the perception of the public if Fallon, who is still retained by the powerful Coolmore operation, were allowed to continue riding while facing fraud charges.

Edward Craig, partner at Charles Russell solicitors, lawyers for the HRA, said in a statement outside court: "The HRA has dealt with this matter through a proper process that has been subject to the scrutiny of the High Court and been upheld.

"The HRA welcomes this verdict."

Fallon was charged earlier this month along with 10 others, including fellow jockeys Darren Williams and Fergal Lynch, in relation to the City Of London police investigation into alleged race-fixing.

All deny any wrongdoing.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Johannesburg

FALLON SEEKING TURKISH DELIGHT

Keren Fallon will be in action in Turkey on Sunday as he lines up in the Prime Ministry Cup at Veliefendi racecourse.

Fallon, who was unsuccessful in his High Court appeal against a British riding ban on Friday, will be aboard three-year-old Bors in the Istanbul event.

He told the Sportsman: "I have never been to Turkey for a day before, so it will be a new experience.

"The Veliefendi reminds me very much of Longchamp and I am really looking forward to riding there."

He can ride in Ireland, France and Turkey.

Illinois said no to him riding in the Arlington Million so it will be interesting to see what Kentucky say regarding the Breeders Cup. It looks doubtful they will allow him to ride there and follow the Illinois decision.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Now that was a horse race....

Hurricane Run, Electrocutionist, and Hearts Cry in that order

A great stretch run by all of them
Old 07-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Well, he can still ride Ace for the Million anyway.....

I don't think he can, America honors UK decisions the last I heard
Old 07-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
I don't think he can, America honors UK decisions the last I heard
Yeah, I had (stupidly) posted that before i realized (ie, before Johannesburg told me) that he won't be allowed to ride.

A shame.....
Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Saratoga

Well I'm STILL jumping up and down, so I'm just gonna go ahead and post this all over the place!:

"Sometimes there IS God," Truman Capote.

Sporting Life.....

FALLON DECLARED FOR ACE
By PA Sport Staff

The major news to emerge from the draw for the 24th running of the Arlington Million and its two supporting races was that Kieren Fallon has been declared on Aidan O'Brien's Ace and Ivan Denisovich.

The Irish jockey is scheduled to arrive in Chicago on Thursday, but it remains unclear if he will receive his licence to ride at Arlington Park.

It appears the Illinois Racing Board has to make the decision whether he will be able to ride or not, although it had been previously thought he would be unable to ride in the state following the decision of the Horseracing Regulatory Authority to ban him from riding in Britain.

Ace was drawn three in the Arlington Million, while the other British contender Phoenix Reach, trained by Andrew Balding, has drawn number six.

Touch of Land, trained by Henri-Alex Pantall in France is drawn four, with the German raider Soldier Hollow in five.

Current favourite is the Todd Pletcher-trained English Channel, who is drawn in stall 11.

Andreas Christou, Phoenix Reach's owner, said: "Phoenix Reach has been back in training for two months. It is quite easy to train a horse again from scratch in England, as we have hills, different gallops and lots of terrain to get a horse fit.

"He is a gifted horse and I have always believed that a gifted horse will tell the trainer when he is ready."

Although the European trainers have not yet arrived at Arlington Park, they will hardly be upset about the draw of their contenders, all drawn on the inside.

As to Ivan Denisovich, one of six runners in the Secretariat Stakes, Pat Keating, head lad at Ballydoyle, said: "He has travelled well and we are very happy with him. He will suit the track. He ran well in the St James's Palace Stakes and showed then that he should get the extra furlong without any problem.

"He is drawn five and that shouldn't be any problem."

The William Haggas-trained Primary is drawn four in that race, while the 7-5 favourite Showing Up is drawn in stall number one.

A total of 11 fillies and mares will line up for the Beverly D. Stakes, which has only attracted one European runner, the John Best-trained Rising Cross, who runs in the colours of Gary Tanaka.