Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Goodwood

Default Fallon barred from British racing

from the BBC:

Fallon barred from British racing
Kieren Fallon has been suspended by the Horseracing Regulatory Authority from all racing in Britain after being charged with conspiracy to defraud.
The ex-champion jockey is one of eight people charged by City of London Police over race-fixing allegations.

The HRA has also suspended fellow jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams, who face the same charge along with trainer Alan Berry.

The jockeys face specially arranged HRA appeal hearings on Friday 7 July.

Berry's hearing is scheduled for Tuesday 4 July.

As far as we are concerned, Fallon is innocent until proven guilty
Denis Egan
Irish Turf Club chief executive

Former racing syndicate director Miles Rodgers, Lynch's brother Shaun, farrier Steve O'Sullivan and Philip Sherkle, 39, are the other people charged with the same offences.
All those charged by police have been bailed and are due to appear in court on 17 July.

Fallon is licensed as a jockey in Ireland, and the Irish Turf Club has confirmed he will be able to continue riding there.

Irish Turf Club chief executive Denis Egan said: "As far as we are concerned, Fallon is innocent until proven guilty."

The Jockeys' Association of Great Britain said: "We believe the example set by the Irish Turf Club in allowing Kieren Fallon to maintain his licence pending a conclusion to this matter is a sensible and fair approach.

"It would then be a matter for the employers in the sport as to whether they support such riders."

The 41-year-old Fallon, a six-time champion jockey, flew in from Ireland on Monday after winning a second successive Irish Derby on Sunday on board Dylan Thomas.

In addition, Rodgers, 37, Joanne Richardson, 27, Darren Armitage, 41, and Brian Pilkington, 70, have been charged over an offence relating to money laundering allegations.

City of London Police confirmed that 17 of the 28 people who answered bail on Monday have been released and are no longer involved in the case.

They include jockey Robert Winston, former rider Paul Bradley, amateur rider Dale Jewett and trainer Karl Burke.

The investigation, which began in September 2004, has examined allegations of conspiracy to defraud involving more than 80 races over two years.

During the investigation, more than 130 police officers raided 19 addresses across Suffolk, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and Hertfordshire.

Detective Chief Superintendent Steve Wilmott of City of London Police said the investigation - the largest of its type undertaken by the force - had started when Betfair approached the Jockey Club.

He said: "In early 2004, Betfair, an internet betting exchange, brought to the attention of the Jockey Club a number of what they considered to be irregular betting patterns.

"The security department of the Jockey Club undertook an investigation and came to the conclusion that there was potential criminality that could undermine the integrity of horse racing."

He added that Monday's events had followed consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service and a leading QC over whether charges should be brought.

During the investigation, 34 arrests were made, more than 500 interviews undertaken, at least 1,300 statements obtained, and almost 40,000 pages of evidence passed to the CPS.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
top predator.

wow. I'm not saying that these allegation's are true or not or that my story has any relevance whatsoever... I would just like to share this. I have a friend--more of an aquaintance really who is from Malaysia. In her native country she held an assist. trainers liscense and a jock's liscense and said she was approached all the time to affect the outcome of races and that she made a significant amount of cash when she played along.

Last edited by paisjpq : 07-03-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Cunningham Racing

Link?............
Old 07-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Goodwood

Sorry Joel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/5132764.stm
Old 07-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Saratoga

Unreal...maybe he will come here now and we can score on his horses like we were when he rode Gulfstream
Old 07-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Santa Anita

I don think its as bad as its made out. Top news story tonight ahead of the tragedy in Valencia. Im pretty sure that he'll be found innocent esp with Coolmore's backing. There is always an air of suspicion around Fallon that he just cant seem to eradicate..

#Grand
Old 07-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
Im pretty sure that he'll be found innocent esp with Coolmore's backing. There is always an air of suspicion around Fallon that he just cant seem to eradicate..
Of course he will.....
Old 07-03-2006, 02:39 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Unreal...maybe he will come here now and we can score on his horses like we were when he rode Gulfstream
Scav you aren't serious are you? WHen he rode at Gulf he was tragic. He looked like a monkey trying to **** a football.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Scav you aren't serious are you? WHen he rode at Gulf he was tragic. He looked like a monkey trying to **** a football.
Oh I'm sorry..... that reminded me of Jamie Spencer on poor Antonius Pius in the BC Mile......

(Jamie is much improved... no disrespect).

(Well, maybe just a little.....)
Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
lol... nothing beats the old monkey ****ing a football visual....it was a couple years ago at Gulf. Bailey's agent was booking for Fallon, as I recall. JDB got off to a bit of a slow start and that was the end of that.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
LMFAO!!!!!! Post of the week!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:48 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Oh I'm sorry..... that reminded me of Jamie Spencer on poor Antonius Pius in the BC Mile......

(Jamie is much improved... no disrespect).

(Well, maybe just a little.....)
AFter watching spencer on pius and the other one he destroyed that day, I came to the conclusion that my stance against suicide might not be completely with merit. Spencer is somewhere on the chain between amoeba and algae. I wanna know who it was that decided that he ought to be a jockey. WHoever it was is a very bad judge of talent.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
AFter watching spencer on pius and the other one he destroyed that day, I came to the conclusion that my stance against suicide might not be completely with merit. Spencer is somewhere on the chain between amoeba and algae. I wanna know who it was that decided that he ought to be a jockey. WHoever it was is a very bad judge of talent.
Powerscourt is still in therapy from that first run in the Arlington Million.....
Old 07-03-2006, 02:52 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Powerscourt is still in therapy from that first run in the Arlington Million.....
Spencer's rides on him(twice) and on Pius still make me nauseous when I think of them. Anyone who bet those horses now knows how Ned Beatty felt in Deliverance. "Come on boy!! You can do better than that!!! Squeal!!!!! Go weeeeeeeeeeee!!!"
Old 07-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Santa Anita

Spencer is improving but throws in some absolutely shocking rides more often than any top jockey over here.. He was Royal Ascot top jock but had something like six seconds, half of which should have won..

#Grand
Old 07-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
Spencer is improving but throws in some absolutely shocking rides more often than any top jockey over here.. He was Royal Ascot top jock but had something like six seconds, half of which should have won..
I wonder if he went to the same riding school as Garret Gomez.

Not that GG is a bad rider. He's thrown a few clunkers too.
Just inconsistent.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
I wonder if he went to the same riding school as Garret Gomez.

Not that GG is a bad rider. He's thrown a few clunkers too.
Just inconsistent.
GG looks like Arcaro/Cordero one race and a ten pound bug boy the next. I just can't for the life of me figure out how someone so talented can be so Jekyl and Hydish.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
GG looks like Arcaro/Cordero one race and a ten pound bug boy the next. I just can't for the life of me figure out how someone so talented can be so Jekyl and Hydish.
Agree Mike.
The one that doesn't seem to get the credit in my opinion is Eibar Coa.
Sure, he rides rough at times..but his desire to win with whatever he's on is evident.

Then there was an earlier thread comparing Gomez to Prado.... gimme a break!
Is there really a comparison?
Edgar P is the BEST!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:24 PM
The Curragh

King Kieren is only 2nd to Frankie Dettori

3rd best jocks is JR Velasquez
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Agree Mike.
The one that doesn't seem to get the credit in my opinion is Eibar Coa.
Sure, he rides rough at times..but his desire to win with whatever he's on is evident.

Then there was an earlier thread comparing Gomez to Prado.... gimme a break!
Is there really a comparison?
Edgar P is the BEST!
You are right that you can't compare Gomez to Prado. Gomez has 100x more talent than Prado. I have to hand it to Prado though, for a guy that does not have that much talent, he is certainly an overachiever. He is obviously an intelligent rider and he usually gives good rides in big races. He may not look great coming down the lane, but he gets the job done. In terms of talent, I don't think Prado is in the league of Gomez, Espinoza, Valenzuela, etc.