Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 AM
The Curragh

Default Today at Lepopardstown

O'brien runners Misty for me and So you think should put on shows today

So you think/Snow Fairy--STONE COLD EXACTA! Wont pay much but its the easiest money to make in horse racing on this Saturday
Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Arlington Park

1:35 EST Irish Champion Gr.1, where Snow Fairy will try to cut into the 7 length defeat to So You Think in their first meeting this year.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

She did cut into the margin but So You Think was still able to hold her off by half a length to win again.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
She did cut into the margin but So You Think was still able to hold her off by half a length to win again.
looks like a run in the Arc and no BC turf plans for this one. Since it looks like they have Cape Blanco headed to the BC Turf
Old 09-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
So You Think is a splendid animal, the question is can he run beyond 2000 meters. SF ran her race, just couldn't get by him, same margin coincidentally as Workforce's lost in the Coral Eclipse. It will be interesting to see the timeform rating of this race, 125, 130+
Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
So You Think is a splendid animal, the question is can he run beyond 2000 meters. SF ran her race, just couldn't get by him, same margin coincidentally as Workforce's lost in the Coral Eclipse. It will be interesting to see the timeform rating of this race, 125, 130+
DId you see the Melbourne Cup over 3200m? Rider moved too soon, made the lead too early in the stretch, still in the mix late to finish third, on soft ground, no less. He can definitely run past 2000m. O'Brien has been too conservative with him, methinks, by running him only at 10f.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann View Post
DId you see the Melbourne Cup over 3200m? Rider moved too soon, made the lead too early in the stretch, still in the mix late to finish third, on soft ground, no less. He can definitely run past 2000m. O'Brien has been too conservative with him, methinks, by running him only at 10f.
Yeah, the Melbourne cup is one of my favorite races everyone year, not sure his optimum distance is at the 2400 however, was interested at Aiden's comments after yesterday's race, mentioned his sire, a horse I absolutely loved that thrived at 2400. No doubt about it So You Think is a rare quality specimen.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar View Post
O'brien runners Misty for me and So you think should put on shows today

So you think/Snow Fairy--STONE COLD EXACTA! Wont pay much but its the easiest money to make in horse racing on this Saturday
Hope you cashed big time!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
Yeah, the Melbourne cup is one of my favorite races everyone year, not sure his optimum distance is at the 2400 however, was interested at Aiden's comments after yesterday's race, mentioned his sire, a horse I absolutely loved that thrived at 2400. No doubt about it So You Think is a rare quality specimen.
I have to think that Coolmore paid a whole lot of coin for this horse and gave O'Brien instructions to win as many G1 races as they can with him. He'd won a number of races at 10f already, so the cautious thing was to keep him at 10f. But the great Euros, the legends, have all won at 12f - Ribot, Sea-Bird, Nijisnky, Mill Reef, Sea the Stars, even Brigadier Gerard. His record will be incomplete without a major win at 12f. Horses who can't handle 12f get only honorable mention, like Caro, Dubai Millennium and Giant's Causeway.

And I see no reason why he can't do it. His sire had no problem at 12f; his dam won a G2 semi-classic at 2000m. His inbreeding to Northern Dancer is through two of the most stamina-laden of the old boy's sons - Sadler's Wells and Nijinsky. And he's from a solid old-time Aus/NZ family, the lot descending from imported Juliet (1851). His is the Francolin (1926) branch, which has also produced Jazz (Nz Derby), Winnipeg (Queensland Derby) and her daughter Peg's Pride (Wellington Derby), Philomel (Perth Cup), Our Flight (Nz Derby, 1000 Guineas, etc) and Show Ego (Victoria Oaks, Queensland Oaks).
Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 PM
The Curragh

What gets me about the horse, is why one of the richest men in the world decided to sell and partner up with Coolmore. Apparently his original trainer Bart Cummings was livid about selling off to the Irish. But thankfully no matter how So You Think ended up at Ballydoyle, its all worked out for the better. Not stuck in Australia, yet showing the world how good he really is.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar View Post
What gets me about the horse, is why one of the richest men in the world decided to sell and partner up with Coolmore. Apparently his original trainer Bart Cummings was livid about selling off to the Irish. But thankfully no matter how So You Think ended up at Ballydoyle, its all worked out for the better. Not stuck in Australia, yet showing the world how good he really is.
I think Cummings felt betrayed. He'd made the horse into the monster he is, but he hadn't gotten that nth Melbourne Cup with him, despite a good run, and he would have wanted to get it right the next season. There can't be too many more great horses who will come his way, at his time of life.

And I think that currently he feels that O'Brien isn't doing right by the horse. He heaped scorn on the tactic of using a pacemaker at Royal Ascot, which he felt got the horse beaten. A horse who can win a 10f G1 on a Saturday and come back 3 days later to be competitive over 2 miles in a G1 doesn't need babying once he's fit, either.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann View Post
I think Cummings felt betrayed. He'd made the horse into the monster he is, but he hadn't gotten that nth Melbourne Cup with him, despite a good run, and he would have wanted to get it right the next season. There can't be too many more great horses who will come his way, at his time of life.

And I think that currently he feels that O'Brien isn't doing right by the horse. He heaped scorn on the tactic of using a pacemaker at Royal Ascot, which he felt got the horse beaten. A horse who can win a 10f G1 on a Saturday and come back 3 days later to be competitive over 2 miles in a G1 doesn't need babying once he's fit, either.
Hope he gets his chance in the arc, he's a very good horse and I agree a win at the 2400 will make him a great horse, from my observation he seems to have a better kick at the 2000 whereas in the Melbourne cup his kick wasn't sustained, regardless he deserves a chance, I thought Snow Fairy was getting to him towards the end of the Champion, though maybe he was just idling down, just more intrigue to the distance question.