Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Flemington

Default National Champion

This would be the year for that playoff to start.
Ohio St started the year #2, has looked great and pretty much has no shot at all of playing in the championship game if Bama and FSU win out.
Just trying to start a discussion on this. Not saying I think Ohio St deserves to play for the title. They have beat nothing at all and looked pretty average until about 3 weeks ago.
As for Florida St, and I did not look at the standings but the only team that can really even challenge them would be Virginia Tech in the ACC title game, but Im not sure if thats going to happen after Va Techs horrible HORRIBLE LOSS TO DUKE 2.5 weeks ago. They at least play great D and have a QB who at times is great. It would be a test at least.
Bama is Bama, but this is the year I cant see them getting a pass if they get beat. I think they have to win out as Ohio St, Florida St and Standford are all very likely to win out
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 AM
The Curragh

The one loss Bama team (assuming the loss is at Auburn) still should get in ahead of an undefeated Ohio State. The other 1 loss teams should not be in the conversation really.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
The one loss Bama team (assuming the loss is at Auburn) still should get in ahead of an undefeated Ohio State. The other 1 loss teams should not be in the conversation really.
they are not losing the Auburn game so I guess it's a moot point. maybe South Carolina could get them if they play a perfect game and make it to the SEC title game
Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Flemington

for what it's worth I think Florida State is going to win the national championship
Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
This would be the year for that playoff to start.
Ohio St started the year #2, has looked great and pretty much has no shot at all of playing in the championship game if Bama and FSU win out.
Just trying to start a discussion on this. Not saying I think Ohio St deserves to play for the title. They have beat nothing at all and looked pretty average until about 3 weeks ago.
As for Florida St, and I did not look at the standings but the only team that can really even challenge them would be Virginia Tech in the ACC title game, but Im not sure if thats going to happen after Va Techs horrible HORRIBLE LOSS TO DUKE 2.5 weeks ago. They at least play great D and have a QB who at times is great. It would be a test at least.
Bama is Bama, but this is the year I cant see them getting a pass if they get beat. I think they have to win out as Ohio St, Florida St and Standford are all very likely to win out
stanford has a loss, why would bama have to win out to stay ahead of them?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
they are not losing the Auburn game so I guess it's a moot point. maybe South Carolina could get them if they play a perfect game and make it to the SEC title game
They will be playing an excellent Missouri team for the SEC title.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
They will be playing an excellent Missouri team for the SEC title.
they've been a nice surprise, that's for sure. they certainly have shown that they are a deserving sec member.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
they've been a nice surprise, that's for sure. they certainly have shown that they are a deserving sec member.
Minus the injury bug they are fighting for the 2 spot right now.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Fairgrounds

Great win by Auburn. Alabama's kicking game sure came back to bite them again.

It certainly wasn't one a Nick Saban's finest games. But that happens even to the best of them.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Flemington

Quote:
they are not losing the Auburn game so I guess it's a moot point.
you have quite the knack
Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Flemington

All I could think of after the Auburn play happened was Jack Buck's famous line after the Gibson HR, "I don't believe what I just saw".
I honestly believe that this play will go on to that immortal list of great plays that you will never forget about.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Hollywood Park

If Alabama tries a last second 57-yd field goal, why did Nick Saban not use his "secret-weapon" earlier in the 4th quarter when 4th and 1 (much shorter attempt)?

Also, if you try a 57-yd FG with :01, have someone on your squad with speed to try to run down the fielded kick.

Questionable coaching decisions down the stretch IMO......
Old 12-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Cahokia Downs

An unbelievable season - one for the ages.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick333 View Post
Great win by Auburn. Alabama's kicking game sure came back to bite them again.

It certainly wasn't one a Nick Saban's finest games. But that happens even to the best of them.
i thoroughly enjoyed that game. that run back will stick in his craw for a long time to come. reading that they never actually had someone run one back in practice was simply amazing-reminded me of reading that the french (back in the day with muzzleloaders) practiced loading without actually using live ammo-and then wondered why the brits (who did practice with live rounds) always beat them.

conference games yet to be played; will be interesting to see how it shakes out. too bad michigan couldn't beat osu, who i can't stand.

congrats to duke, with their first ever 10 win season. too bad they'll cap it off by getting crushed by fsu (oh, i hope duke can surprise them!!).
Old 12-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting View Post
If Alabama tries a last second 57-yd field goal, why did Nick Saban not use his "secret-weapon" earlier in the 4th quarter when 4th and 1 (much shorter attempt)?

Also, if you try a 57-yd FG with :01, have someone on your squad with speed to try to run down the fielded kick.

he figured what they heck. oops. i doubt he ever thought for a moment that what happened would happen.
ah, hubris
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting View Post

BAMA beat BAMA, it's that simple. it should not have come down to a kick.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide View Post
BAMA beat BAMA, it's that simple. it should not have come down to a kick.
it didn't come down just to a kick. that was just one of many things that had the game end as it did. bama didn't beat bama, to say so marginalizes all that auburn did-and they played a good game also.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
it didn't come down just to a kick. that was just one of many things that had the game end as it did. bama didn't beat bama, to say so marginalizes all that auburn did-and they played a good game also.
Bama beat Bama. Its actually pretty clear. This about as big a fluke as you will ever see. Now with that said Auburn is VERY GOOD. If this were next year assuming all Ohio St, Florida St and Auburn win next week the 4 way playoff would be those 3 and Bama. And it would be great.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Bama beat Bama. Its actually pretty clear. This about as big a fluke as you will ever see. Now with that said Auburn is VERY GOOD. If this were next year assuming all Ohio St, Florida St and Auburn win next week the 4 way playoff would be those 3 and Bama. And it would be great.
yeah, a fluke play after auburn had tied bama. i guess the 28 points aub scored was all a fluke? them keeping bama to 28, that was a fluke? auburn forced alabama to attempt a fg from that far away...they didn't get closer before the kick, i guess that was a fluke as well?

i thought it was a great game with good play from both sides, and like all evenly matched teams, it comes down to someone making a mistake and the other team being able to cash in on it. but auburn winning was no fluke, and again, you're ignoring auburns great game play that lead to the tied score at the end-and saban figuring what the hell before ot.
i bet he's wishing now they hadn't put one second back on the clock at the end.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
The Curragh

Mizzou wins in Atlanta and still gets screwed out of their shot at the title. A simple prediction, though OSU is no cinch this weekend.