Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default NFL Draft

Became a little more interesting today with the Jets officially committing to rebuilding and scooping up Tampa's 1st round pick for their recovering injured star cornerback.

Does anyone have any strong takes on players they've seen in this draft at the college level?

Mel Kiper says the guard from North Carolina is as high rated as anyone at that position that he's had in 20 years. The guard from Alabama though, he is a friggen bulldozer and the Alabama running game has been ridiculous while he's been there.

Whoever drafts that guard from Alabama...I am getting their running back in fantasy football. To me, drafting him in the early to middle first round says 1.) we are committed to running the football this upcoming season. And 2.) the offensive line is immediately upgraded from a run blocking standpoint.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Arlington Park

the Bama G, Chance Wormack, had the nasty streak on the Bama OL. whoever takes him my have to stay after his conditioning and watch his weight. IMO, Barret Jones the Bama C, will be a later round steal. he runs well, is technically sound and intelligent. Lacey the RB can catch, block and understands the game plans. has battled turf-toe and an occasional fumble.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Jets will pick Warmack or Cooper at 13, or even at 9 if they're concerned one won't fall to 13.

There are a couple of late 1st/early 2nd players I like. Tyler Eifert, Matt Elam and Gio Bernard are a few.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Hollywood Park

Jets need to trade down...so many "holes" to fill...one player won't make the difference...and the coach could be "dead man walking" this season along with his most-trusted QB....What a mess !!!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

I was hoping the Browns would get Warmack ... but they said Cooper would be a much better fit in the new system because Chud/Norv Turner like athletic guards who can get outside and are excellent on screens.

Warmack isn't an especially strong pass blocker like Cooper and he's not especially athletic for screens like Cooper is ... but I'd rather have the guy who owns the line of scrimmage. Some say Cooper is that kind of guy as well, but this Warmack guy has made good running backs famous and he's made famous inside linebackers look freaking terrible.

To me, if you want to run the football and help your qb out with easier throws in the short play-action passing game...Warmack sounds like the most impactful player in this entire draft.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting View Post
Jets need to trade down...so many "holes" to fill...one player won't make the difference...and the coach could be "dead man walking" this season along with his most-trusted QB....What a mess !!!
Idzik is doing the right things to undo the damage Tannenbaum did. He's shedding terrible contracts and making the team younger. No more band-aids on wounds that require surgery. They will be bad this year, but will have a lot of picks and cap space in 2014 and a good shot to get one of the two big QBs.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide View Post
the Bama G, Chance Wormack, had the nasty streak on the Bama OL. whoever takes him my have to stay after his conditioning and watch his weight. IMO, Barret Jones the Bama C, will be a later round steal. he runs well, is technically sound and intelligent. Lacey the RB can catch, block and understands the game plans. has battled turf-toe and an occasional fumble.

Wormack is the best guard to come out of Alabama since Hog Hannah. Pats are trading up to get him.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
The Curragh

I think Lacy could be a steal in this draft. Hoping he finds his way to Denver, our backs can be good but neither has both knees.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Of the Quarterbacks I watched on Youtube ... Ryan Nassib of Syracuse is the best one.

He was surrounded by extremely mediocre pass catchers -- they dropped about 10 passes in the USC game alone -- and the offensive line at Syracuse was mediocre, especially up the middle. The USC game was comical, they made the center and guards at Syracuse look like three turnstiles.

Geno Smith throws all short passes -- and he has two absolutely killer wonder midgets catching his screens in Tavon Austin and Bailey. The O-line at West Virginia looked pretty good, but it's hard to tell because they only had to block for 0.87 seconds before Geno got rid of one of his typical 5 yard passes.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Hialeah Park

I'm high on DJ Hayden, the corner from Houston, and DeAndre Hopkins, the wideout from Clemson. Both will be solid players imo. Hopefully the Birds get it right and trade down to accrue more picks. For what the draft lacks in star power, it surely makes up for in depth.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Of the Quarterbacks I watched on Youtube ... Ryan Nassib of Syracuse is the best one.

He was surrounded by extremely mediocre pass catchers -- they dropped about 10 passes in the USC game alone -- and the offensive line at Syracuse was mediocre, especially up the middle. The USC game was comical, they made the center and guards at Syracuse look like three turnstiles.

Geno Smith throws all short passes -- and he has two absolutely killer wonder midgets catching his screens in Tavon Austin and Bailey. The O-line at West Virginia looked pretty good, but it's hard to tell because they only had to block for 0.87 seconds before Geno got rid of one of his typical 5 yard passes.
Mayock has Geno going to the Browns with the 6th overall pick. Sounds about right for the Browns draft day acumen. Austin and Bailey punched up his stats - I don't see him as a huge impact QB in the NFL and definitely not a top 10. Also can't believe they would give up on Weeden after just 1 year.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
I'm high on DJ Hayden, the corner from Houston, and DeAndre Hopkins, the wideout from Clemson. Both will be solid players imo. Hopefully the Birds get it right and trade down to accrue more picks. For what the draft lacks in star power, it surely makes up for in depth.
The so-called rumors have a lot of teams looking to trade down.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Mayock has Geno going to the Browns with the 6th overall pick. Sounds about right for the Browns draft day acumen. Austin and Bailey punched up his stats - I don't see him as a huge impact QB in the NFL and definitely not a top 10. Also can't believe they would give up on Weeden after just 1 year.
Espn had a stat where Geno threw a ton of short passes which helped pad his stats. From the few times I saw him play he misses a ton of open recievers down field. I think he will struggle in the NFL because he us not accurate enough.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

It seems like the Jets take either a cornerback or a defensive tackle with their first pick every year.

The Browns are totally obsessed with pass-rushers right now. I suppose their goal is to try and lead the NFL in quarterback hurries and sacks next year. They spent an absolute fortune on pass rushers in free agency ... and they ignored a great many of areas of need to take LSU rotational pass rusher Barkevious Mingo with the #6 pick.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
It seems like the Jets take either a cornerback or a defensive tackle with their first pick every year.

The Browns are totally obsessed with pass-rushers right now. I suppose their goal is to try and lead the NFL in quarterback hurries and sacks next year. They spent an absolute fortune on pass rushers in free agency ... and they ignored a great many of areas of need to take LSU rotational pass rusher Barkevious Mingo with the #6 pick.
Barkevious does have the perfect name for the Dawg Pound.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Barkevious does have the perfect name for the Dawg Pound.
That he does!

Cleveland might go and trade for Ryan Mallet today. Bellichick is holding him hostage for a 2nd round pick... we will see if he waivers.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Hialeah Park

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I never knew you could bet on the draft

http://www.betfirms.com/nfl-draft-prop-bets/
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Havre de Grace

Default What do the fans do ?

as a Patriot fan, I applaud Buffalo for using that number 1 pick so foolishly. Are they sure that they realize they drafted a warm weather marginal backup ?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Keeneland

Anyone ever hear of a center coming out his junior year because he graduated with a degree in computer engineering? And was a 1rst round pick?

This kid is one of a kind!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
Anyone ever hear of a center coming out his junior year because he graduated with a degree in computer engineering? And was a 1rst round pick?

This kid is one of a kind!
Dell sorry to piss non your parade but he came out because he was projected as a first round pick. You can still play football while taking classes towards your masters after graduation. I do agree with you though that is quite the achievement.